Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (10 Viewers)

ccfc1234

It's a bad throught but with the length of time I hear some prediciting lockdown and then social distancing will need to go on for, October/November, we are almost getting to a point that football could pick up where we left off after a 12 month break. (Less with a long pre season from late December time).

Astute

If everyone had your view on life we may as well live in North Korea.
It is people like you that plead poverty when times gi bad and it is through your own view of having to have the best of everything.

So what happens to the person with a 1k a month mortgage, few hundred a month to hire a car to keep the car makers going and the debt they get into to keep the lifestyle going they really can't afford when they lose their job? A massive reality in times like this.

Liquid Gold

It is people like you that plead poverty when times gi bad and it is through your own view of having to have the best of everything.

So what happens to the person with a 1k a month mortgage, few hundred a month to hire a car to keep the car makers going and the debt they get into to keep the lifestyle going they really can't afford when they lose their job? A massive reality in times like this.
Extravagant? The average price for a studio in London is over £1,000 a month to RENT plus a travel card on top.

Astute

Yes we do, it’s shit. But I know exactly what Grendel means too. Not sure what the issue is, different people want different things. And before anyone throws accusations my way, my house is average, I love it and don’t feel the need for anything else. But I don’t see an issue in people wanting more if they have the cash? Each to their own, they have to take the financial risk on, it’s not freeloading.
And there is the point. 'If they have the cash'

Those who put all their wages into keeping up with others are one step away from losing everything.

Astute

Extravagant? The average price for a studio in London is over £1,000 a month to RENT plus a travel card on top.
That is London. You get paid more there. Is G in London?

If you rent somewhere for 1k a week and lose your job it isn't as bad as having a mortgage you can no longer afford. And he is on about a mortgage at record low interest rates.

OK he is right. We should all go out and stretch ourselves to the limit. Get the car. Get the top holidays and put them on credit.

Marty

This is the rainy day we've all been waiting and saving for...….. Haven't we?

Pritty much every financial expert recommends at least 6 months expenditure saved in an account you can access immediately.

If my employer went under (looking more likely as the weeks pass by), everyone I work with will be struggling fairly quickly. Well paid jobs too, but it's a classic case of more you earn the more you spend, which I am also guilty of.

Astute

This is the rainy day we've all been waiting and saving for...….. Haven't we?
I am worried for the future.

How long will the banks mortgage holiday last for? How long can landlords not be able to remove tenants for that can't afford to pay the rent? Bills that can't be paid?

A lot of our economy runs on house prices. There is a big chance they are going to take a big hit. People needing to sell might end up in negative equity. And so on.

Am I alone on thinking the banks were told by the government to help people out to try and keep prices inflated and not kill what is left of the economy?

fernandopartridge

Nobody can afford their lifestyle when they lose a job you blurt. Even if you're on £9 an hour a job loss is a significant drop in income you can't really just absorb. Your bizarre martyr complex is really odd.
Well done you're a spend thrift, but our whole economy is built on people spending most of what they earn on goods and services, like it or not they're not bad people for doing it and keep many others in employment doing so.

Astute

Pritty much every financial expert recommends at least 6 months expenditure saved in an account you can access immediately.

If my employer went under (looking more likely as the weeks pass by), everyone I work with will be struggling fairly quickly. Well paid jobs too, but it's a classic case of more you earn the more you spend, which I am also guilty of.
Something the vast majority of us are guilty of. But what I try to do is have a healthier balance each month even if only a quid.

Astute

Nobody can afford their lifestyle when they lose a job you blurt. Even if you're on £9 an hour a job loss is a significant drop in income you can't really just absorb. Your bizarre martyr complex is really odd.
Well done you're a spend thrift, but our whole economy is built on people spending most of what they earn on goods and services, like it or not they're not bad people for doing it and keep many others in employment doing so.
Of course I am an idiot. Of course you defend G against me.

OK I admit I am wrong. Go out and overextend your credit. Get yourself a 200k mortgage to better yourself. It 7s no easier ti jeep afloat after losing your j8b if you have been sensible in the past.

Had enough of this bullshit.

Ring Of Steel

OK I admit I am wrong. Go out and overextend your credit. Get yourself a 200k mortgage to better yourself. It 7s no easier ti jeep afloat after losing your j8b if you have been sensible in the past.

I think you’re taking this a bit personally and as an attack on you, I don’t think it is

fernandopartridge

Let's not discuss any further, it isn't worth it.

clint van damme

His supporters would follow him like lemmings over a cliff.
He's basically controlled all the mainstream media since he won his 1st election (which gave him a big enough majority to change the constitution). Nearly all independent papers and radio stations had their licences removed or reallocated.
Tax authorities used as a govt form of coercion (already been on the end of that personally).
People won't have certain conversations over open phone lines, popular social media monitored by an army of supporters.
He's loaded the courts with people he wants (generally lawyers not bright enough to make a living as lawyers). No longer an independent judiciary here.
Made himself in control of EU subsidy money. Some 25% of it goes to a group of 10 friends and family members.
Controls most of the local authorities outside Budapest.
Orbán a Huge Putin fan. Sees him as a role model.
So giving himself unlimited power comes as no surprise. Expect a lot of shenanigans to go on under the radar whilst the focus is on coronavirus.
EU won't take him on as Hungary a key transit route and he could take Hungary out of EU if he wanted to.
Hungary already was rated as an authoritarian regime - this just nails it even further.
So if I suddenly stop posting you can guess what's happened :) hope Nick's database is secure.
So a genuine nervousness amongst many who know there's nothing they can do to reverse this situation.
I was half expecting him to do something like that but was still a shock when I read it yesterday.
Worrying how some of the Tories are so cosy with him. Hope it doesn't give them ideas.

Rich

I must be honest lads. £2.5k isn’t 80% for me.

I’m absolutely stretched to the limit and I was in the middle of reviewing my finances to try and start building some savings. The Mrs had just got a job and we were starting to think about saving for a rainy day.

when we had kids 8 years ago we made the decision to battle through on my salary alone. It’s only just reached current levels and I’ve been using every penny each month to cover debts that we built over the last decade.

so yes it is possible to be on a decent wage and be struggling.

Hopefully with deferring mortgage payments, pausing payments to my pension and pausing loan payments I’ll be OK on less than 80%.

shmmeee

Really interesting article on lack of government preparations for a pandemic. Seems to basically come down to: pandemics aren’t as sexy as aircraft carriers and no one thought it’d happen despite it being listed as the number one threat to national security for years.

Also shows the “herd immunity”/let her rip strategy predates Johnson and Cummings.

Neither party comes out of it well:

Why weren’t we ready?

Skybluefaz

Its amazing how piers Morgan, Richard keys and Stan collymore are now preaching about morals.

Richard keys saying football should be void as people are dying but was ploughing his daughters mate while his wife was suffering with cancer.

Ok then lads.
Always backed the Qatar world cup too, even though there were poor sods dying building the stadiums.

Sick Boy

Its amazing how piers Morgan, Richard keys and Stan collymore are now preaching about morals.

Richard keys saying football should be void as people are dying but was ploughing his daughters mate while his wife was suffering with cancer.

Ok then lads.
All three of them are nasty pieces of work.

djr8369

Really interesting article on lack of government preparations for a pandemic. Seems to basically come down to: pandemics aren’t as sexy as aircraft carriers and no one thought it’d happen despite it being listed as the number one threat to national security for years.

Also shows the “herd immunity”/let her rip strategy predates Johnson and Cummings.

Neither party comes out of it well:

Why weren’t we ready?

Interesting read. How they stuck so rigidly to an old document while the situation played out in front of us in other countries is atrocious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

Interesting read. How they stuck so rigidly to an old document while the situation played out in front of us in other countries is atrocious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly I doubt it will ever get properly looked into, nor will they actually be held accountable for it.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Government spending 75 million on bringing people home.

I'm sure there are many people that are genuinely trapped and have been trying to get home for a while, but I'm not being funny, this has been going on for months.

I don't feel sorry for a backpacker in the Philippines who was getting pissed and couldn't be arsed to come home. There must be a hell of a lot of people that were being irresponsible and now we have to shell out more for it.

David O'Day

I'm sure there are many people that are genuinely trapped and have been trying to get home for a while, but I'm not being funny, this has been going on for months.

I don't feel sorry for a backpacker in the Philippines who was getting pissed and couldn't be arsed to come home. There must be a hell of a lot of people that were being irresponsible and now we have to shell out more for it.
Being a dick doesn't stop the uk government having a duty of care for them

NortonSkyBlue

I am among their number and you may be surprised that I hold the same opinion as you and David O'Day response is the reason why it should be done. We are British citizens and whether we are irresponsible on vacation or choose to work overseas we are still in need of repatriation.
What you may not be aware of is that the flights are not free for all and indeed it is more expensive that a standard single fare on scheduled flight.
Another point you may not be know is that the government through the foreign and commonwealth office is reaching out for British citizens to avail themselves of this service.
Although it may not cover the costs of getting everybody home, and in my case it would be far safer to remain in Riyadh, these people do have families that worry about their safety and vice versa.

tisza

I was half expecting him to do something like that but was still a shock when I read it yesterday.
Worrying how some of the Tories are so cosy with him. Hope it doesn't give them ideas.
He's a Nationalist more along the lines of Putin and Erdogan.
Doesn't like any foreigners being here much especially those of a non-Christian background.

His policies revolve around Hungary rather than the individual. Couldn't give a toss about EU ideals etc just wants the cash.
Plays to a strong sense of Nationalism in the rural areas - goes back to the breaking up of the Austro-Hungarian empire WW1 and a sense of abandonment in 1956 when the West sat back and watched the uprising get crushed.

The coventrian

I'd say 90% of the working population do the same. Realistically in every day life you wouldn't be worried about losing your job would you? This is a freak occurrence. We cant all live on beans on toast and drive a 20 year old mondeo just incase the plague has a revival.

The coventrian

Sell the property for a cheaper one and hand the car back I guess.

Grendel

That is London. You get paid more there. Is G in London?

If you rent somewhere for 1k a week and lose your job it isn't as bad as having a mortgage you can no longer afford. And he is on about a mortgage at record low interest rates.

OK he is right. We should all go out and stretch ourselves to the limit. Get the car. Get the top holidays and put them on credit.

It would cost about £1k a month to rent a modest apartment in leamington - try telling those evicted it’s not as bad as not paying a mortgage

Otis

I'd say 90% of the working population do the same. Realistically in every day life you wouldn't be worried about losing your job would you? This is a freak occurrence. We cant all live on beans on toast and drive a 20 year old mondeo just incase the plague has a revival.
Ermm.....have you been spying on me, Coventrian?

Users who are viewing this thread