Carlton Cole anyone? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Yep, we could sign him, but then have a squad of about 15-16 players.

Let's go for it!!

Terry Gibson's perm

Just what we need another non scoring striker who shall we bring in as his partner Emile Heskey or Kevin Davies?

simonregis

Cole must be on about 50k a week at least and he could possibly still play effectively in the Premier or Championship. A club like Bournemouth could use a player like him.

Gint11

Carlton Cole is pony. Who ever says he try's hard needs a slap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rupert_bear

No way would i pay anything like £30k a week for Carlton Cole or £10k come to that BUT we have to compete wage wise with the top clubs in our division, such as Sheffield United etc, and those relegated from the championship, although Wigan still have parachute payments from the Prem so they are a little different i admit and i believe that's what Tony Mowbray will have spelt out to Sepalla and the others at his meetings, the fact that TM is here signed and secured tells me he may have convinced sisu to look again at their wages policy.

Terry Gibson's perm

No way would i pay anything like £30k a week for Carlton Cole or £10k come to that BUT we have to compete wage wise with the top clubs in our division, such as Sheffield United etc, and those relegated from the championship, although Wigan still have parachute payments from the Prem so they are a little different i admit and i believe that's what Tony Mowbray will have spelt out to Sepalla and the others at his meetings, the fact that TM is here signed and secured tells me he may have convinced sisu to look again at their wages policy.

Wigan could be interesting as they have an inexperienced manager and we know where that can get you, I guess they have released a lot of players as well, I think Blackpool are doomed and will drop again, Millwall again inexperienced manager, if we are ever going to get out of this league this may be our best chance as the teams coming up are nothing special either and with Preston going up we have the chance of picking up 6 points more this year.

Terry Gibson's perm

He's on fuck all now.

But these players think they can still get at least the same money again it is just as the season starts they suddenly realise that the cash is not coming in and need to lower their expectations.

rupert_bear

Costs lots to sign out of contract Prem players and it is dead money. Signing on fee can be upto a million then wages probably a third of what they were on so you are looking at £10k a week+ for someone like Cole and are they that good ? Okay if he came in and smashed 25 goals in and we win the league it's a gamble that worked but then we have had the Tim Sherwoods and Keith O'Neils monopolysing the treatment tables for months on end.

JulianDarbyFTW

Back in the day, the 'big' players dropped down the leagues. They needed to because the cash wasn't in the game. But nowadays they don't need the money, so the only way they come is for the love of playing. And how many ex-Prem 'stars' play in L1? Alan Smith is probably the only one of note, and his star waned a few years ago.

rupert_bear

That's true. I tell you something if had anything like £30k a week to spend on one players' wage i would plump for Joey Barton just released by QPR, bit of a headcase i know but just the type to bolster our midfield and bring these kids on. Think he will have higher aspirations than division 3 though.

Terry Gibson's perm

Back in the day, the 'big' players dropped down the leagues. They needed to because the cash wasn't in the game. But nowadays they don't need the money, so the only way they come is for the love of playing. And how many ex-Prem 'stars' play in L1? Alan Smith is probably the only one of note, and his star waned a few years ago.

His is star was brief as well but I bet he has made some cash on his very limited ability.

Terry Gibson's perm

That's true. I tell you something if had anything like £30k a week to spend on one players' wage i would plump for Joey Barton just released by QPR, bit of a headcase i know but just the type to bolster our midfield and bring these kids on. Think he will have higher aspirations than division 3 though.

Barton would have to take a pay cut to get there even as he was on about 68k a week at QPR:facepalm:

rupert_bear

Is that all !! Realistically though what would he command now, he is 32, 15k a week ? Still too much for the likes of us but a club like Bournemouth maybe. He is the type of player we need though so who is there.

Well i suppose there's Stevie Gerrard !!

Last edited:

LJC_CCFC

We had zero chance of getting Dennis Wise.

Even though Cole is a pathetic excuse for a footballer, he won't drop lower than the Championship. Bournemouth bid £1 million for him last summer which was rejected by West Ham, so there is interest in him at that level.

Astute

Anyone thinking Carlton Cole would come here is clearly deluded.

Definitely would never drop to league one.

Deluded is saying that a player well past his best won't drop down as nobody else will take him. We don't know. How did he do last season? Has anyone shown any interest yet? How much was Dennis Wise on before we signed him and how much did we pay him?

Some players just want to play. They love playing. And if they have already secured their future by being overpaid for years the money they are on isn't too much of a stumbling block. I am not saying that he will come to our club. I am not even saying he will drop to as low as we are. But without clubs coming in for him how do you know that clubs higher will be after a player that is 32?

LJC_CCFC

Deluded is saying that a player well past his best won't drop down as nobody else will take him. We don't know. How did he do last season? Has anyone shown any interest yet? How much was Dennis Wise on before we signed him and how much did we pay him?

Some players just want to play. They love playing. And if they have already secured their future by being overpaid for years the money they are on isn't too much of a stumbling block. I am not saying that he will come to our club. I am not even saying he will drop to as low as we are. But without clubs coming in for him how do you know that clubs higher will be after a player that is 32?

I actually wouldn't want him. Rarely puts a shift in for West Ham to make up for his severe lack of technical ability. People talk about wanting players who work hard and play for the shirt etc, Cole is more of a Nouble than a JOB.

Last edited:

stupot07

To be fair Astute, not many 'big name' players drop straight from the PL to League one. You are right that there are a minority that just want to play but they really are in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Astute

I actually wouldn't want him. Rarely puts a shift in for West Ham to make up for his severe lack of technical ability. People take about wanting players who work hard and play for the shirt etc, Cole is more of a Nouble than a JOB.

So you agree that there is a chance that no Prem or Championship club will want him then?

Astute

To be fair Astute, not many 'big name' players drop straight from the PL to League one. You are right that there are a minority that just want to play but they really are in the minority.

I agree. But they don't seem to be banging on his door trying to sign him. If that is the case he either drops down or retires. Then it depends on how much he wants to play.

Users who are viewing this thread