Carl Baker (1 Viewer)

Matty_CCFC

On Sunday I met Carl Baker at a Golf Course and was impressed how friendly and open he was.
He is obviously very happy at Coventry and said how much he would like to end his playing days here, his family like the area and his kids are settled.
The only thing that concerns me is that he said that he has been told he can leave if he can find another club, he knows the "Gaffer" wants him to remain as the old head but the club will get rid of anyone if they could.

May never be our best player but always gives his best.

PVA

I have bumped into Baker before and agree he is a really nice guy and happy to stop and have a chat.

Godiva

On Sunday I met Carl Baker at a Golf Course and was impressed how friendly and open he was.
He is obviously very happy at Coventry and said how much he would like to end his playing days here, his family like the area and his kids are settled.
The only thing that concerns me is that he said that he has been told he can leave if he can find another club, he knows the "Gaffer" wants him to remain as the old head but the club will get rid of anyone if they could.

May never be our best player but always gives his best.

Did Baker explicitly say that 'the club will get rid of anyone if they could'?

AndreasB

Sounds like a fairly mature position he is taking - realises he is on high wages for the level he is at but also his ability is probably only lower L1 level as well - I think the club is probably being pragmatic in keeping options open and would accept a reasonable bid for him. He surely realises that.

ccfcway

Sounds like a fairly mature position he is taking - realises he is on high wages for the level he is at but also his ability is probably only lower L1 level as well - I think the club is probably being pragmatic in keeping options open and would accept a reasonable bid for him. He surely realises that.

i think they would accept 0. easily the top earner at the club now, prob on at least double the 2nd highest

torchomatic

Come on, don't spoil the conspiracies.

Did Baker explicitly say that 'the club will get rid of anyone if they could'?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Tell him to take a wage cut or ship him out.

Wage cut shouldn't be an issue as everyone who meets him claims he loves the club, is settled down and wants to end his career here.

Astute

Tell him to take a wage cut or ship him out.

Wage cut shouldn't be an issue as everyone who meets him claims he loves the club, is settled down and wants to end his career here.

Depends how big the wage cut would be though. We want to keep Murphy. He wants to stay. He said he would take a pay cut. Did he get an offer though?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Depends how big the wage cut would be though. We want to keep Murphy. He wants to stay. He said he would take a pay cut. Did he get an offer though?

Nobody knows, it's one thing to say you are happy to stay and take a wage cut. Another thing to actually sign the contract.

Maybe at the time of his comments we were the only offer on the table, now he has other options the wage cut isn't looking so appealing to him.

shmmeee

He signed a deal under Fisher when we were in L1. If his wages are too high for L1 that doesn't say much for Fisher's commitment to financial caution.

Sky Blue Harry H

He signed a deal under Fisher when we were in L1. If his wages are too high for L1 that doesn't say much for Fisher's commitment to financial caution.

Aaahh....but Timmy had banked on us being back after 3 games ...with 7,000 sell outs and £££££s of burger money :D

Tonylinc

Aaahh....but Timmy had banked on us being back after 3 games ...with 7,000 sell outs and £££££s of burger money :D
To be fair Timmy did not say that. He said that it would 3000 if things were going badly and 7000 if things were going well. Well neither attendance has been achieved. Over to you Mr. Fisher......please explain.......don't hold your breath!

I know a few Stockport lads who always ask about Carl. They have a very high opinion of him. Why - because Baker is a top bloke managed, as we know, by a really decent manager. Trouble is they are both at a club run by SISU. It's a miracle Baker and Pressley are still both here.

georgehudson

this whole thread says it all,
here we are with a smattering of half decent players, & yet,
we have to put up with Fisher & Co.,
who are serial destructors of football clubs,
as someone who has been abused by this regime i have to say,
yet again, THEY, IMHO, ARE NOT FIT & PROPER OWNERS

chiefdave

Last deal I see he signed was in October 2011 in our relegation season.

The point at which he signed we were already in the shit so if SISU didn't consider the possibility of relegation when sorting his contract extension that's a failure on their part. Why do clubs not put in clauses that vary wages according to division?

Irish Sky Blue

Always have thought that Carl Baker has been underated by some City fans. He is a hard working and creative player IMO. If he goes, where do we find the 25 odd goals he has scored in the last two seasons?

stupot07

The point at which he signed we were already in the shit so if SISU didn't consider the possibility of relegation when sorting his contract extension that's a failure on their part. Why do clubs not put in clauses that vary wages according to division?

I think it was when KD was handing out long contracts on decent money with some warped idea that it added asset value.

That Article in the mail suggested he, murphy and Clarke were on an average of £8k per week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Grendel

Did he?

I thought he signed it in the Championship under Dulieu.

letsallsingtogether

We played in the Prem paid average wages.
We got ourselves relegated by having a weak team.
We then sign players that were on championship wages get relegated because the Team is too weak.
We then want to employ players on youth players wages and expect to have success?

Sorry but they just haven't got a clue.

Then Posters will come on here and blame us for not supporting them in Northampton so they have no money.

Sorry but playing in Northampton was 100% there choice.

letsallsingtogether

Easy to blame it all on ex directors?

So our current ones have made no bad decisions if they are to be believed.

Ahhh Dulieu, the football visionary. I suspect that he is seen as some kind of demi-god on this forum for his 'gift' that he gave to the club.

Sick Boy

Easy to blame it all on ex directors?

So our current ones have made no bad decisions if they are to be believed.

Of course they have made some bad decisions, but we can have no complaints over the appointments of MR and SP, can we?

As I have already said, ACL and SISU have been as bad as each other.

lordsummerisle

Always have thought that Carl Baker has been underated by some City fans. He is a hard working and creative player IMO. If he goes, where do we find the 25 odd goals he has scored in the last two seasons?

Underated? You must be joking, one of the most overrated players we've had here, never more than an okay League One player.

Of course they have made some bad decisions, but we can have no complaints over the appointments of MR and SP, can we?

As I have already said, ACL and SISU have been as bad as each other.

Don't agree Sick Boy. NO way have ACL been as bad as SISU. Only the chronically myopic could see that in the evidence of the last six years.

On the subject of of the original post, if it is true that CCFC will get rid of anyone they can then can we all encourage them to get rid of Fisher, Seppala and the lap dog.

Gint11

I like Baker, comes across like a top top bloke and has given us great service and dedication. The truth of the matter now though at the age he is at, he just isn't that good anymore. Whether he has a good season left him in I am not sure.

shmmeee

We're not exactly overflowing with attack minded players though are we? I suppose, as always, it depends on the quality and quantity of replacements.

J

Jack Griffin

Underated? You must be joking, one of the most overrated players we've had here, never more than an okay League One player.

TBF I'd say better than average League One player.. but was mediocre in the Championship.

The Gentleman

He was genuinely underated as many people didn't rate him, the opposite of Baker who many rate above his ability.

Flynn wasn't genuinely underrated because he was shit, maybe you're talking about how you rated some of the tightest shorts known to man but as a footballer he was garbage. You can train monkeys to have a good engine and run about but you cannot train a football brain. Same with Paul Telfer as far as I am concerned, run about all day but very little product on the pitch. I didn't say Baker was the bees knees but he has been a good player for us and scored some good goals which I never seem to remember Flynn ever doing (or having a shot for that matter). At least it's nice to know you don't set the bar to high though, probably a reaction to being a Cov fan ;)

lordsummerisle

Flynn wasn't genuinely underrated because he was shit, maybe you're talking about how you rated some of the tightest shorts known to man but as a footballer he was garbage. You can train monkeys to have a good engine and run about but you cannot train a football brain. Same with Paul Telfer as far as I am concerned, run about all day but very little product on the pitch. I didn't say Baker was the bees knees but he has been a good player for us and scored some good goals which I never seem to remember Flynn ever doing (or having a shot for that matter). At least it's nice to know you don't set the bar to high though, probably a reaction to being a Cov fan ;)

I set my bar pretty high actually, though obviously not as high as it would need to be set for Baker to exceed his two goals in 80 Championship appearances as opposed to Flynn's 9 in 97 in the top division of course.

Grendel

I set my bar pretty high actually, though obviously not as high as it would need to be set for Baker to exceed his two goals in 80 Championship appearances as opposed to Flynn's 9 in 97 in the top division of course.

I always thought Flynn was poor as a top flight player but he was twice the player Carl baker could ever dream of being.

Users who are viewing this thread