Carl Baker - Derby Goal (1 Viewer)

Glenn Storer

Would like to congratulate Carl on his goal today and extend condolences to him and his family, clearly insipired by the memory of his brother as he said on Sky today. Hopefully he can kick on and re-capture some of his Stockport form for us.

@richh87

Yep, a very likeable player. Great at taking players on - just needs to cut out the silly dwelling on the ball and bad decisions which get us into trouble.

mattylad

even before the goal I thought it was one of the best games he has had since joining

pusbccfc

He played very well compared to previous games this season, battled very well and didnt put half as many passes mislplaced as usual.
Crossing was still not brilliant but i dont understand why he is playing left mid!!!!!! He cant use his left foot and he is not a winger.
He nearly had a superb goal when he beat two players and had a long range shot tipped over.
Much better today baker worked well with hussey, keep it up!

I would love to see him play like he did back when he first joined us.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Had two that went very close so I could see him getting one come the end of the 90 minutes!

Still think hes sometimes to slow off the mark, and easily pushed off the ball. But if he can continue finding the net with his volleys, then im not going to get picky on other things :D

Nonleagueherewecome

Yes, not the most complete Baker performance, but certainly his best this season. I think that actually made a huge difference to us overall today, as although the end product wasn't always perfect he buzzed around with energy, moved and closed down much more, got wide when needed, and deserved a goal for his long ranger. The finish for his volley was superb, you could actually hear him "rip the leather off the ball" on the TV! The closest we've had to Stockport Baker since the Palace game, lets hope the lad can kick on now and produce it more regularly.

skybluek

Any1 remember when he just skined baptise and got a cross in and a own goal by blackpool got us a good point all fro some trickery by baker

Nonleagueherewecome

His performance against Scunthorpe season before last was the best for me. Him and Stead played some magical stuff, and Torchomatic caught a lot of it on camera. I think it was that performance that promted the Hutch comparisons. It wasn't that class today, but it was something else..funny, I was remembering just last night an interview on Radio 5 with a Stockport fan after he'd left them. She was saying how much they'd missed him, but that he'd given so much and was such a top bloke that they couldn't keep him any longer given their financial position. She also said that he "doesn't score ordinary goals", and that he was capable of anything in terms of scoring goals from nowhere, absolute screamers.

I think a Carl Baker on song is one who doesn't stop to think, he just goes out and plays. To do that, he needs to be confident. A bit of a throw-back, like a lot of guys who've been released by big clubs and grown from non-league. When it comes off, he can be unstoppable-he does unexpected things. When off form, he can be infuriating. We need Baker to feel loved, to go out there and strutt his stuff, to drop his shoulder, skin his man and smack it like he did for his long-ranger, and to get in those poaching positions like he did for the goal. I think AT is just the man to get that Carl Baker playing for us, based on his post-match interview. Before now he's often looked apprehensive, but I've never doubted his effort. Carl Bakers CCFC career starts properly now.

torchomatic

Nonleagueherewecome

Nah you are way superior to SKY Torchomatic, and don't you forget it! They should hire you as "Fan Cam" to give a genuine, bouncy, crowds-eye-view :)

Surprised there isn't a bit more love for Baker after yesterdays performance. Is it because he's one of the players many fans don't like along with Bell and McSheffrey? I'm happy enough to admit I didn't think he was the answer, but was happily surprised yesterday. Someone join me feasting on umbles!

SkyBlue_Bear83

I thought he played very well yesterday also, would be a much better option at the tip of the diamond than Bell imo. He is lightweight sometimes and sometimes his passing is a bit wayward but he is one of only a few players in the squad with the ability to beat a man and take him out of the game.

Sub

definatly one of his better games and a great finish for the goal, worked hard and looks to be getting back to how he was when he first turned up taking on players and shooting on site !!:claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:

dazzled2u

I must admit Baker did take his goal very well and came in to the game much more in the second half but I though his first hald perfomance was questionable and his passing was particularly poor giving the ball away numerous times. There again reading about his family issues and him visitng his brothers grave earlier in the day might have been on his mind?
Baker's best assest is taking players on, gaining a yard then shooting or crossing - I thought him and Gael should of swapped roles on Saturday as Gael has a great range of passing but on Saturday looked a little ou of place in that position.

kg82

In my opinion Baker epitomised the team performance on Saturday. Started slowly but with a battling determination. Grew into the game and started to look more confident in his own ability which I, I think, galvanised players around him. I said at the end of last season I thought Baker would be a big player for us this season. He's failed to deliver so far and one game doesn't make a season, it's time for him to push on. We know what he's capable of.

PVA

To be honest I think he's been pretty terrible this season up until Saturday. I guess the memory of his brother must have inspired him and he was very good, Hopefully he can kick on now.

I have met him once and he is a really nice guy as well, here's hoping he can recapture his form from when he first joined.

shmmeee

To be fair to him, I think the whole team have been lacking in that confidence needed to play our style successfully, you could almost see the physical change in players' body language after the second goal went in. Even Bell looked a decent player then, they started pushing forward and playing their football in the final third instead of across the back->up the wing->Check back->across the back->down the other wing like we've been doing so far this season.

If the whole team can step it up a gear, we can push on no problem.

Nonleagueherewecome

Yep, we looked a different team-despite the poor bloke who was expected to be the instant miracle cure having a quiet game. Good news for Cody too, as the pressure is off him a little now the other players are getting into their groove. I'm still worried by just how wafer thin the squad is, and I'm not getting too carried away by a win against Derby (as some said before, looks like they got our usual start this season!). But this did look for the first time something like the team we were under AT last season. The increased tempo and mixed-in direct (not long) balls also made a subtle but vital difference to our play.

When do we play Barnsley? We owe someone a 4-goal pasting, and they're the only side ever bad enough to let us manage that :)

SkyBlueScottie

I thought he played very well yesterday also, would be a much better option at the tip of the diamond than Bell imo. He is lightweight sometimes and sometimes his passing is a bit wayward but he is one of only a few players in the squad with the ability to beat a man and take him out of the game.

He has been played at the tip of the diamond and he was awful!

torchomatic

I thought it was a great result on Saturday and another good performance. While we're still at the wrong end of the table, the Bury result aside, all the performances this season have been good. If we can get some loans in then my optimism from last season will return.

Nonleagueherewecome

The stand-out thing is just how well most reports say we played-SKY seemed particularly glowing in their praise. Although the Sunday Mercury was stunningly inept-everything was done by Clingan according to them, including the cracking Cyrus cross that he landed on Lukas' boot.

torchomatic

That must have been one of the few games where we've actually played well on tele. I watched it again when I came back. Even we were getting wet up in Block 28.

shmmeee

Yep, we looked a different team-despite the poor bloke who was expected to be the instant miracle cure having a quiet game. Good news for Cody too, as the pressure is off him a little now the other players are getting into their groove. I'm still worried by just how wafer thin the squad is, and I'm not getting too carried away by a win against Derby (as some said before, looks like they got our usual start this season!). But this did look for the first time something like the team we were under AT last season. The increased tempo and mixed-in direct (not long) balls also made a subtle but vital difference to our play.

When do we play Barnsley? We owe someone a 4-goal pasting, and they're the only side ever bad enough to let us manage that :)

I dunno about the squad, I think arguably we're only 1 or 2 loanees from a balanced squad. Let's see what AT can do over the next couple of weeks, if we can go on a run now is the time to bring in new players.

Nonleagueherewecome

Maybe. I suppose the return to fitness of people like McSheffrey. Deegan and Eastwood will at least give us the depth we are lacking. As mentioned before, confidence is vital. Any of those would find it much easier coming back into a winning squad, whatever people think of their merits.

I think the other thing preventing me from getting too excited was Saturdays penalty decision. It really was a shocker, but as someone who doesn't like diving I almost enjoyed that by Rich-he was so determined to get into a position where he could semi-convincingly hurl himself to the deck :D But if we hadn't got that dodgy call..well, who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread