Capello: Carroll must shape up (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

andycarrollengland20101129_275x155.jpg

Just months after being hailed as the future of the England team, Carroll did not make it onto the bench for England's 3-0 win against Bulgaria on Friday. The Liverpool striker, who scored his first England goal in a friendly against Ghana in March, has been warned by Capello that he needs to sharpen up if he is to get back in the side.

"He needs to find good form," Capello said. "Against Bulgaria I chose 25 players and decided that the first 11 would be the players who were, for me, in the best moment of form. Andy didn't play the last game with Liverpool and probably he is not at the top. Also he is big. He needs to play games, games, games. It's the start of the season.

"In this moment, some players are really good and run a lot. In the last 20 minutes we had everything - ball possession, chances to score - because we were still fresh. When these players, like Andy, will be fit, at the top of their form, they will be important."

Capello added on Sky Sports News:

"His style of life is a problem because you need to be careful. He is an important player not only for the England team but also for Liverpool. I think he understands what he needs to do."

The Italian also denied claims he said Carroll drinks too much alcohol, clarifying: "I never said this. I don't know his lifestyle but I never spoke about this. I think, if you want to be a good player and a good sportsman, he needs to drink less than the normal."

Asked what he had to say to Carroll, Capello replied:
"It is a private message. I have spoken with him and it was a private discussion between two people. I think he understands a lot. He is young, we need to help him and speak to him, because he is a really important player."

SkyBlueScottie

"Just months after being hailed as the future of the England team,"

That line there is the very thing thats wrong with English football, why are we so quick to raise young players with a bit of potential to such lofty levels?

Another exmple, Boton wanted a ridicolous amount of cash for Cahill, yet Arsenal could go and get a true international (played 75 times for germany and is only 26) for around 1/2 of the price.

Dont get me wrong Carroll and Cahill are decent players but Carroll is not the saviour of English football, and Cahill is largely unproven at international level.

Gray

watched him in the cup the other week, he has a cracking shot but no control and no passing ability...definitely not worth 35 mil!

Otis

"he has a cracking shot but no control and no passing ability"

Take out the 'cracking shot' and you have many of the Sky Blues' current squad! He'd fit in perfectly!

Covstu

"he has a cracking shot but no control and no passing ability"

Take out the 'cracking shot' and you have many of the Sky Blues' current squad! He'd fit in perfectly!

also a fat lazy pisshead, oh i forgot Kev Thornton has gone now!

rob9872

Did anyone else see him for the U21's at the Ricoh? He was awesome and unplayable.

Yes he needs to watch himself, yes he was overpriced and over-rated, yes he has a lot to learn and has also been over priced, but he's completely different from any other type of forward England have and I believe will become very good. The lad is still only about 22 and will continue to learn and improve for some years yet.

As usual the gutter media like to build them up and knock them down just as easily rathe rthan the public, unfortunately many are influenced by what they read.

Users who are viewing this thread