Busted exercise bike help (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

So we installed a new spin bike yesterday, all assembled fine and seemingly good to go. Then within 5 minutes of the missus using it the left pedal assembly completely detached. We reattached and tightened with a socket/ratchet, then exact same happened again. The part in question came pre-assembled and attached to the bike, so pretty certain it’s not something we’ve done.

Any ideas? Bought it new off eBay.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Never had or used a spin bike, but standard bicycles all have the LHS pedal on a reverse thread.....so the LHS pedal is tightened by turning anti-clockwise, whereas the RHS pedal is standard thread & is therefore tightened with the traditional clockwise rotation.

Does your detached pedal body spin freely & relatively friction free on its own spindle?

does it re-attach to the crank arm & tighten up with anti-clockwise rotation?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Hmmm.....not good......when you re-attach & tighten it up, does there appear to be any "play" or wobble on the crank arm?

You could try & nip it up tight & add a threadseal such as loctite....but as its brand new & was pre-assembled, i'd take some photos and go back to the seller before you try that.

Brighton Sky Blue

Hmmm.....not good......when you re-attach & tighten it up, does there appear to be any "play" or wobble on the crank arm?

You could try & nip it up tight & add a threadseal such as loctite....but as its brand new & was pre-assembled, i'd take some photos and go back to the seller before you try that.

I have contacted the seller basically saying just that. We retightened with the socket and there was zero give, then it slowly comes apart again within minutes of use.

Nick

Administrator
Yeah it sounds like it is just working loose.

Could try some of that threadlock stuff? If it's brand new though just get it replaced.

Sbarcher

Was there perhaps locking washer supplied which has not been fitted?

Brighton Sky Blue

Was there perhaps locking washer supplied which has not been fitted?

Yeah it sounds like it is just working loose.

Could try some of that threadlock stuff? If it's brand new though just get it replaced.

Could do but it’s a hefty bugger to return and I’d rather not keep spending money on more that might be busted. Other half’s dad taking a hammer to it later today.

skybluetony176

Either the thread on the nut or the crank are damaged or have a manufacturing fault. You have three options, replace the nut to see if that cures it, wrap some ptfe tape (plumbers use it on non soldered connections) around the thread on the crank as that will help the existing nut bind on or as already suggested use some thread lock. Personally I’d try the ptfe tape first.

wingy

Unless it's been cross threaded in a previous attempt.
Could it have been a return from a previous customer?

Brighton Sky Blue

Either the thread on the nut or the crank are damaged or have a manufacturing fault. You have three options, replace the nut to see if that cures it, wrap some ptfe tape (plumbers use it on non soldered connections) around the thread on the crank as that will help the existing nut bind on or as already suggested use some thread lock. Personally I’d try the ptfe tape first.

Other half’s dad bashed it in with a hammer then used Loctite to keep it in place. He also found the right pedal was going the same way and repaired that one too. Far as we know it was genuinely brand new so must have just been badly assembled in the factory.

Sbarcher

I think if you had pedalled backwards to re-lock it and then forwards again and repeat, the problem would have gone away.

Users who are viewing this thread