Burge (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

He’s not a top level league one goalkeeper, he must have a good agent to have got a contract at Sunderland

Sky Blue Harry H

Thankless position being a goalkeeper. Sunderland have stopped scoring, so if they let one in - keeper's fault (which it will be occasionally). We all know he's not a top keeper, but they don't tend to be in L1 for long if they are.

shepardo01

Sunderland finally realise Being slated by them. Revenge for Kevin Kyle is complete

They have slated him all season.
They are in the same situation as us, two keepers that struggle at the level they are playing at.
They rate neither him nor Matthews.

Nothing new.

harvey098

Haha....that is what people are saying about Marosi when they defend him... he's not either!!

I can only think of 3 mistakes that led to goals in 2 seasons (Portsmouth (A) last season, QPR this season and one more that I can’t remember who against).

His calmness with the ball at his feet completely changed the way we played last season and was critical to the whole set up.

PVA

I can only think of 3 mistakes that led to goals in 2 seasons (Portsmouth (A) last season, QPR this season and one more that I can’t remember who against).

His calmness with the ball at his feet completely changed the way we played last season and was critical to the whole set up.

If he'd only made 3 mistakes in 2 seasons he'd still be in the team.

He made 3 in that Portsmouth game alone! (or maybe it was 2. Definitely more than 1 anyway). Plus he's made 3 in probably his last 3 games.

Also has one of the lowest save % in the league this season. I like him and he was decent last year but he's not had a good season sadly.

TomRad85

If he'd only made 3 mistakes in 2 seasons he'd still be in the team.

He made 3 in that Portsmouth game alone! (or maybe it was 2. Definitely more than 1 anyway). Plus he's made 3 in probably his last 3 games.

Also has one of the lowest save % in the league this season. I like him and he was decent last year but he's not had a good season sadly.
He dropped out the team when he got his skull smashed in...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

The other bad mistake he made was against Rotherham at Home last year o think.

DannyThomas_1981

Always wish ex-players well; no idea why anyone would want to see a player who gave his all for the shirt to fail after moving on.

Burge didn't engineer a move from the Club, he wasn't offered a new contract by us.

It's an obsession for some on here to criticise and mock individuals; due to the fact we've had a positive few days and can't single one of our own players our for once - let's find an ex player to be derisory about.

shepardo01

Always wish ex-players well; no idea why anyone would want to see a player who gave his all for the shirt to fail after moving on.

Burge didn't engineer a move from the Club, he wasn't offered a new contract by us.

It's an obsession for some on here to criticise and mock individuals; due to the fact we've had a positive few days and can't single one of our own players our for once - let's find an ex player to be derisory about.
Criticism should not be off the table.
That is part and parcel of being a footballer (or, working in pretty much any job)
I personally wouldn't mock any player but will call out perceived weaknesses or errors if it affects our football club.

I don't want to see any goalkeeper having a tough time - I have an interest in this position (unless maybe in games against us!) but this platform is to discuss and debate. Some have more informed knowledge than others which can exacerbate a discussion.

No harm in discussing current and ex players. Either having a good or tough time.

Maybe the first post here is what you are on about.

It won't be pleasant being Lee Burge or Marko Marosi at present- possibly Ben Wilson tomorrow. I do feel sorry for them. They won't be doing x/y/z deliberately but they will be affecting the football club at the hearts of numerous people. They also get paid very well to be in this spotlight.

Personally hope Burge bounces back. Same with Marosi. But for the good of our football club, I have no qualms in saying that I would not want him in goal next season.

DannyThomas_1981

Criticism should not be off the table.
That is part and parcel of being a footballer (or, working in pretty much any job)
I personally wouldn't mock any player but will call out perceived weaknesses or errors if it affects our football club.

I don't want to see any goalkeeper having a tough time - I have an interest in this position (unless maybe in games against us!) but this platform is to discuss and debate. Some have more informed knowledge than others which can exacerbate a discussion.

No harm in discussing current and ex players. Either having a good or tough time.

Maybe the first post here is what you are on about.

It won't be pleasant being Lee Burge or Marko Marosi at present- possibly Ben Wilson tomorrow. I do feel sorry for them. They won't be doing x/y/z deliberately but they will be affecting the football club at the hearts of numerous people. They also get paid very well to be in this spotlight.

Personally hope Burge bounces back. Same with Marosi. But for the good of our football club, I have no qualms in saying that I would not want him in goal next season.
That's all fair and I completely agree with you Shepardo for the most part.
Just find it weird that some find so much joy in throwing derision and mockery at a targeted ex-player.

D

Deleted member 4439

So totally agree. He's a good guy, and I find the obsession and the attacks almost shameful.

Last edited by a moderator:

fatso

I've got no axe to grind with Burge, he did his best while he was here, but he's limited in terms of his ability, and he didnt improve much during his tenure.
MR gave him plenty of opportunities, but in the end we didnt renew his contract, which says it all.
Sunderland must of known what they were getting, because he gifted them at least 2 goals in our 5-4 victory at the stadium of shite.

But he was cheap and available.
Looks like he could be available again soon.

pusbccfc

I liked Burge and think he did a good job for us but you cannot make that many mistakes even at League 1 level.

South West Sky Blue

Marosi had been good for us this season until the Cardiff injury.
As someone else has since commented - Rotherham at home last year he cost us a goal with a basic error.

This year you could say Cardiff away and Bournemouth away he cost us goals as well as others.
All in all, I like Marosi. Confidence may not be great at the moment, but I think I rate him higher than most on SBT. He’s much better than Wilson (who I look at PNE, Luton and Wycombe - lucky offside decision saved him). Think the end of the season will help Marosi get his act back together for next season.
Wouldn’t turn down a new keeper coming in, but we’ve got other priorities - defence for me!

D

Deleted member 2477

The reason Burge still gets talked about on here is the fact he was so poor and made so many clangers it was almost comical. Add to that that he then went to Sunderland a club whos fans have openly slated us to rediculous proportions over the years which has caused a rivalry and mutual hatred paticulary for our younger fans who dont remember the days when we played the villa.
This is the reason why fans still talk about it as its a way of mocking Sunderland and feels like we have got one over on them. equally if you ever read their forum they also have a section of fans who continually talk and mock us to the point of extreme hatred.

at the end of the day a football forum is for talking all things football including past players, clubs you dont like, good and poor players and rivalry.

there is a clear little group on here who every time someone mentions Sunderland or Burge they go straight on the attack trying to shut the conversation down as they dont like it or see it as in poor taste.

the point is there will always be an interest in past players and rivalry between fans. If you dont like the subject then dont read it and move on but stop telling others what they can and cant put on a football forum as its just that a forum for fans to talk about football and the club. Im sure if we had had social media in 1980 and An ex player who had cost us a number of points had gone to the Villa or Leicester and done the same there we would have seen it talked about for years

Last edited by a moderator:

Legia Sky Blue

The reason Burge still gets talked about on here is the fact he was so poor and made so many clangers it was almost comical. Add to that that he then went to Sunderland a club whos fans have openly slated us to rediculous proportions over the years which has caused a rivalry and mutual hatred paticulary for our younger fans who dont remember the days when we played the villa.
This is the reason why fans still talk about it as its a way of mocking Sunderland and feels like we have got one over on them. equally if you ever read their forum they also have a section of fans who continually talk and mock us to the point of extreme hatred.

at the end of the day a football forum is for talking all things football including past players, clubs you dont like, good and poor players and rivalry.

there is a clear little group on here who every time someone mentions Sunderland or Burge they go straight on the attack trying to shut the conversation down as they dont like it or see it as in poor taste.

the point is there will always be an interest in past players and rivalry between fans. If you dont like the subject then dont read it and move on but stop telling others what they can and cant put on a football forum as its just that a forum for fans to talk about football and the club

You are free to write what you want and go on the Sunderland forum as much as you want, just as I'm free to comment that I find those that do a bit sad.

PVA

On the subject of bad keeper mistakes, how about this for Drysdale's goal yesterday. Absolute shocker!

D

Deleted member 2477

You are free to write what you want and go on the Sunderland forum as much as you want, just as I'm free to comment that I find those that do a bit sad.
I dont write on the sunderland forum because i dont support them. You can write what you want and others can write what they want but dont get all upset because you dont like it. We live in a free country not a cancel culture

rob9872

the point is there will always be an interest in past players and rivalry between fans. If you dont like the subject then dont read it and move on but stop telling others what they can and cant put on a football forum as its just that a forum for fans to talk about football and the club. Im sure if we had had social media in 1980 and An ex player who had cost us a number of points had gone to the Villa or Leicester and done the same there we would have seen it talked about for years
1) Nobody told you that you can't post it just an alternative view. It's the pile on mentality that's odd.
2) he was crap, but he never tried to play crap and was a loyal club servant from a young age who played over 150 games for us, I'd swap places with him. Blame the managers who selected him.
3) he's moved on, so can we
4) 1980 villa see Dennis Mortimer, great player as were later Garry Thompson, Steve Hunt, Dion, Boateng, Hadji ....
5) most Sunderland fans are probably normal too, but like we do, have their morons who bitterly hate us.

Users who are viewing this thread