Budget and Value. (1 Viewer)

Brylowes

I’ve been quietly confident all summer that this team is capable of doing very well this season, I realise we
are only 2 games in but I’ve not seen anything yet to change my mind, still big players to return from injury
and strength in depth throughout the squad.
We seem comfortable and settled in the formation we play, if we go behind we always seem able to pick
ourselves up not panic ‘step up a gear forcing ourselves back into the game, we have the look of a team
that will keep working and improving as the season goes on.

There’s always a lot of talk on here about budgets and the size of ours apparently acting as some sort of
barrier that will ultimately prevent us from achieving anything more than just avoiding relegation ‘in fact
many stating that to do so would be a huge achievement....I disagree.
I’m not denyIng that a teams budget would usually offer a good indication as to where a team will finish
up at the end of the season ‘but not always.

So we are signing players for probably at the most 1million and many for far less than that, where as a lot
of our rivals are signing or have signed players for 5million 7 million and up to 10million and beyond, but
how many players do we have now that would command that type of fee ?

O’Hare, Dabo, Hamer, Marosi, Rose, Hyam, Ostigard, Godden etc, then there’s Gilles and McCallum I know
they’re on loan but they are still in our team this season, so we may not have signed millions of pounds
worth of players but we do seem to have millions of pounds worth of players.

I could of course I could be miles off ‘but I for one am feeling increasingly confident of a very good season :)

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

Quite a lot of the time a clubs financial position decides the value of a player. If they are financially secure and the buying club really want the player they will pay over the odds.

If you look at the players Brentford have sold for big amounts none of them have gone onto amazing things - which shows the player success may be down to the system they have in place rather than outright the players ability

Briles

I genuinely dont think budget makes a great deal of difference currently. Having no fans levels the playing field so to speak. Sounds like twisted logic but need to make the most of having no fans, points wise at least.

KenilworthSkyBlue

It's difficult to say. I for one am pretty reserved about forecasting player values as the factored variables are very difficult to predict - now more than ever.

Personally, I'm predicting a massive dip in transfer fees over the next two windows so inflated fees paid for players at our level in recent years may not be reflective of those in a years time.

With huge drops in revenues across the EFL and PL clubs over the next year, it's safe to say spending power is going to be significantly reduced.

In summary, whatever we may think our players are worth, we have to accept that the likelihood of receiving such fees is relatively unlikely. Especially if games continue to be played BCD or at significantly reduced capacities for the remainder of the season (which is likely).

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

I’ve been quietly confident all summer that this team is capable of doing very well this season, I realise we
are only 2 games in but I’ve not seen anything yet to change my mind, still big players to return from injury
and strength in depth throughout the squad.
We seem comfortable and settled in the formation we play, if we go behind we always seem able to pick
ourselves up not panic ‘step up a gear forcing ourselves back into the game, we have the look of a team
that will keep working and improving as the season goes on.

There’s always a lot of talk on here about budgets and the size of ours apparently acting as some sort of
barrier that will ultimately prevent us from achieving anything more than just avoiding relegation ‘in fact
many stating that to do so would be a huge achievement....I disagree.
I’m not denyIng that a teams budget would usually offer a good indication as to where a team will finish
up at the end of the season ‘but not always.

So we are signing players for probably at the most 1million and many for far less than that, where as a lot
of our rivals are signing or have signed players for 5million 7 million and up to 10million and beyond, but
how many players do we have now that would comma that type of fee ?

O’Hare, Dabo, Hamer, Marosi, Rose, Hyam, Ostigard, Godden etc, then there’s Gilles and McCallum I know
they’re on loan but they are still in our team this season, so we may not have signed millions of pounds
worth of players but we do seem to have millions of pounds worth of players.

I could of course be miles off ‘but I for one am feeling increasingly confident of a very good season :)
I know this isn't related but why do your posts have narrower margins than the rest of us?

Deity

I genuinely dont think budget makes a great deal of difference currently. Having no fans levels the playing field so to speak. Sounds like twisted logic but need to make the most of having no fans, points wise at least.
Let’s not kid ourselves .... there is a direct correlation between playing budget and league position across all 4 divisions. Occasionally through good management and shrewd transfers a team outperforms the correlation. Sheff Utd last year is an example of this.

I do believe the lack of fans makes the difference between home and away games more marginal then before, but playing budgets will still be the biggest factor.

skybluesam66

Let’s not kid ourselves .... there is a direct correlation between playing budget and league position across all 4 divisions. Occasionally through good management and shrewd transfers a team outperforms the correlation. Sheff Utd last year is an example of this.

I do believe the lack of fans makes the difference between home and away games more marginal then before, but playing budgets will still be the biggest factor.
we didnt have the top budget in league 1 last year by a long way (ok was probably around 8th - 10th)

Liquid Gold

we didnt have the top budget in league 1 last year by a long way (ok was probably around 8th - 10th)
There are outliers every year but the best way to work out league position is wage budget. Apparently transfer fees have very little impact strangely but you can generally plot 97% of the entire football league based on wage budget. We're luckily to have been in the 3%.

Brylowes

I agree, but I really think we could be an anomaly, as I say we have several players in our squad
that would command a substantial fee ‘so although we didn’t spend millions to bring them here
’here they are anyway.

skybluesam66

There are outliers every year but the best way to work out league position is wage budget. Apparently transfer fees have very little impact strangely but you can generally plot 97% of the entire football league based on wage budget. We're luckily to have been in the 3%.
after 50 years of being in the 97% - and at the bottom of the 97% , its about bloody time!

Liquid Gold

Actually I think lucky is doing us a slight disservice. Long term planning, style of play and all pulling in the same direction all give us that little edge. Clubs with more money can just be profligate with no homework, look how Sunderland have done in L1.

Skyblueweeman

Leicester didn't have the largest playing budget (far from it) when they won the EPL...

Mucca Mad Boys

Promoted teams will almost always have the smallest budgets in the league, and 1-2 of them survive most years. They have to adapt to survive in this league in the long term.

To use us as an example, we’ve built a young squad for quite cheap. If we were to stay up, our budget will have to increase just to keep our current players and to improve or even maintain it year on year. Teams that who can only afford to do it really cheap are be lucky to survive for more than 2 seasons in the Championship.

Things we’ve got going for us:
- young, promising squad and we’re known for developing talent
- momentum from a fantastic season last year
- stability from having a manager on charge for several years
- continuity with style of play, formation and personnel
- the other teams in the league are hit disproportionately by COVID than ourselves - specifically on the loss of ticket sales

That will help us this year, maybe next - but, in order to survive we’ll have to adapt. Almost certainly we cannot afford another season at St Andrews.

Covkid1968#

Leicester didn't have the largest playing budget (far from it) when they won the EPL...
Think I read somewhere 4th biggest. May have made that up ... but give those knicker stitching crisp eating King stealing feckers nothing.
...... sorry... slight over reaction alert!!!

Sky Blue Harry H

When we refer to playing budgets, people have to remember that a lot of Championship budgets are stretched by paying crippling wages to players that they can't shift off their books. As we'd like rid of Kastaneer, teams like Stoke have Sam Vokes (who the fans hate, don't rate) but is on their books until 2022. Nobody else will match his high wages, and similar players around the league are crippling their clubs ( not the players faults). We are not as disadvantaged as would be the norm, and I expect to see several more distressed clubs this season (including in The Championship)

Brylowes

What I’m trying to say ‘though probably not very well‘ is despite not having the budget
which many agree you need to do well in this league, we find ourselves (in my opinion)
with 5 or 6 possibly more players in our squad that I wouldn’t want to swap with anyone
at any other Championship club.
So looking at squads by current value we are probably up there despite not spending
the money.
ie: if say ‘and this is sketchy, Brentford have spent 20million on players and the team
have a current market value of 35million.
And we have spent say 3.5million on players and the team has a current market value
of 23million we aren’t that far away.
So Forget the budget, on the pitch atm we are comparable to most In quality and value.

SlowerThanPlatt

What I’m trying to say ‘though probably not very well‘ is despite not having the budget
which many agree you need to do well in this league, we find ourselves (in my opinion)
with 5 or 6 possibly more players in our squad that I wouldn’t want to swap with anyone
at any other Championship club.
So looking at squads by current value we are probably up there despite not spending
the money.
ie: if say ‘and this is sketchy, Brentford have spent 20million on players and the team
have a current market value of 35million.
And we have spent say 3.5million on players and the team has a current market value
of 23million we aren’t that far away.
So Forget the budget, on the pitch atm we are comparable to most In quality and value.

It is impossible to value our squad really and compare them to Brentford, we’ve played 2 Championship games

Brylowes

It is impossible to value our squad really and compare them to Brentford, we’ve played 2 Championship games
I’m not trying to compare us to Brentford or anyone else, I’m simply saying that currently we can compete
with any team in this league on the pitch, so therefore our budget this season shouldn’t be considered a
stumbling block in the way of success.
Im gonna stick my neck out here and say we will finish top 6 despite our budget.

Users who are viewing this thread