Brighton footballers (1 Viewer)

daib0

This was written on the NSC Brighton forum, and seems good advice for the future for any forum:

"As a newspaper editor for the past 22 years I am offering this legal advice:
When someone is arrested by the police and taken in for questioning, we have what in our legal system is known as an 'active case'.
IF you discuss the case and arrests, circumstances, place conjecture or opinion in anyway publicly (ie on an internet forum, Twitter, facebook or in any written publication) you could be guilty or contempt of court, subjudicy and perverting the course of justice. These are criminal offences. You could be arrested, charged and if found guilty face a prison sentence; as could the owner and moderator of the website.
IF you name the people arrested (without the police or courts naming them first) you can be sued for defamation if the person named is later found to be innocent. There is even a clause of 'libel by innuendo' so the Buckaroo comments must be very careful. Take in mind these footballers are quite wealthy and their lawyers could well advise them to sue anyone who has named them as a sexual assault suspect.
I am now leaving NSC for a while, like a few others, while this all blows over. "

Quite worrying stuff ...

Nick

Administrator
This was written on the NSC Brighton forum, and seems good advice for the future for any forum:

"As a newspaper editor for the past 22 years I am offering this legal advice:
When someone is arrested by the police and taken in for questioning, we have what in our legal system is known as an 'active case'.
IF you discuss the case and arrests, circumstances, place conjecture or opinion in anyway publicly (ie on an internet forum, Twitter, facebook or in any written publication) you could be guilty or contempt of court, subjudicy and perverting the course of justice. These are criminal offences. You could be arrested, charged and if found guilty face a prison sentence; as could the owner and moderator of the website.
IF you name the people arrested (without the police or courts naming them first) you can be sued for defamation if the person named is later found to be innocent. There is even a clause of 'libel by innuendo' so the Buckaroo comments must be very careful. Take in mind these footballers are quite wealthy and their lawyers could well advise them to sue anyone who has named them as a sexual assault suspect.
I am now leaving NSC for a while, like a few others, while this all blows over. "

Quite worrying stuff ...

Check the disclaimer ;)

8. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum and their agents with respect to any claim based upon any post you may submit. Sky Blues Talk reserves the right to reveal any information we have about you in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message that you may post.

9. Each User agrees to indemnify and keep indemnified the Forum Owner and its directors, officers and employees from and against any and all liability, damages, losses, claims (including reasonable legal fees) resulting in any way from his use of and from any postings made to the Forum or from any other matter relating thereto including but not limited to use of the information posted on the Forum. Further, each User waives any right to bring any claim or action against the Forum Owner for any loss, damage or injury arising from use of the Forum or any material posted on the Forum or from this Policy.
If lawyers want stuff removed they just have to email or call and it goes ;)

I'm not worried... Why have the BBC not been sued then for reporting it?

Users who are viewing this thread