BRENDAN RODGERS - A Punt Too Far For Liverpool ?? (1 Viewer)

Are Liverpool taking one almighty gamble by appointing BR as their new manager ?

Through unfortunate circumstances (chronic knee problem) a playing career consisting of just 12 games for Ballymena Utd and a managerial career of 151 games with Watford Reading and Swansea and a win ratio of 41% surely not the credentials to take on the mighty Reds.

Indeed his only notable success was taking unfashionable Swansea into the Premiership via a play off final against Reading in 2011 and commendably achieving 11th place last season - and that's about it.

BR is now hailed as the messiah of the Premiership with a new tactical regime to be instilled into his new club based on Barcelona's style of play with possession the key mantra for success.

BR is not squeaky clean with his integrity being tested and found wanting at his previous clubs none more so when he left Reading in Dec 2009 by "mutual consent" after a disappointing run of results.

So in conclusion I still cannot see the evidence of sustained success and achievement that has swayed the Liverpool owners to go for BR compared to other more qualified and experienced managers that are currently available.

Thoughts

PUSB

wingy

Agree Jr i would wager his record prior to Swansea would have been in the high 20s-low 30%,he inherited a regime that was well versed in the style of play that they've shown under him with the majority of the squad in place.The footprint for that clubs success has come under the chairman Huw jenkins and the three previous managers,Kenny Jackett ,Roberto martinez and Pualo de souza.

Edit; I hope it continues for them .

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yep still not established, anyone remember when he was horse crap with Reading? Was taking them down until Mcdermott came and saved them.

Covstu

it was a second place signing once they failed on Martinez and some of the quotes about compensation will set higher levels of expectations. I really hope he does a good job as i like him as a manager but i dont think they will give him too much time like Hodgson.

LastGarrison

Where as I disagree with Lambert leaving I actually quite like this move.

Liverpool could have took the route of bringing in a big name, like a Capello, AVB etc. but this hasn't always worked with them (see King Kenny).

However, Rodgers plays football the right way, which the Liverpool fans will love, he is new, fresh and hasn't got any previous with any of the players (that I am aware of) he is inheriting a half decent squad and he will have a fair bit of money to spend to improve on it.

It is certainly a gamble by the Liverpool board especially after the past two appointments of Kenny and Roy Hodgson but if he gets off to a good start and plays good football I can see him doing well.

I was with a couple of plastic Scouse fans last night and one of them was saying that Mourinho was quoted as saying he wanted him as one of his coaches (youth coach I think), he has also, I believe, gone to Barcelona and spent a couple of weeks watching how they train/coach so he certainly has a passion for learning and playing passing football.

I worry what will happen if they get off to a bad start though and if he doesn't get the backing of the more senior players but like I say I actually quite like this appointment.

And I can't stand the red half of Liverpool. :D

Johnrambo

If Rogers is giving the time, i do think he will get them back in top4. The problem is now, that Liverpool spent so much money under King Kenny. And what about Carroll will he stay? Or getting transfered right away?

Other problem is Liverpool dont have any forwards, Suarez is good, but who is gonna help him? Carroll? Kuyt?

spudgun2000

Carroll will probably be out with a couple of others, give more money for BR to bring in his own players

skybluegod

it was a second place signing once they failed on Martinez and some of the quotes about compensation will set higher levels of expectations. I really hope he does a good job as i like him as a manager but i dont think they will give him too much time like Hodgson.

They didn't fail with martinez they chose not to get him in the end

skybluegod

i think he will do well if given the budget to do well and also if he has the respect of the players already there as hodgson didnt get that

J

Jack Griffin

I been finding the whole Liverpool situation amusing.
Liverpool founded their success in the 60s to 90s on the 'boot room'
The new owners came in and after making a few mistakes appoint Kenny, who spend a lot of money & didn't give them what they expected.
Lawrenson says confidently on the radio the day before Dalglish got sacked that he thought Kenny was safe.

HE WASN'T - THE YANKS CLEANED OUT THE OLD GUARD - NOW THEY'VE PUT THEIR MAN IN CHARGE - THEY ASSERTED THEIR OWNERSHIP :p

SkyBlue_Bear83

I like his style of play, but I don't think it will suit Liverpool. Certainly not with Carroll in the team.

I wonder how many Swansea players he will try and poach....
Maybe the keeper and Sigurdson, I heard Sigurdson had a deal agreed with Swansea. I wonder if that will change now

skybluegod

I like his style of play, but I don't think it will suit Liverpool. Certainly not with Carroll in the team.

I wonder how many Swansea players he will try and poach....

he wont try and pouch any players this season as there is a clause saying in his contract that he cant's get any swansea players

torchomatic

I work with a Liverpool supporter and he's quite pleased with the appointment.

wingy

Maybe the keeper and Sigurdson, I heard Sigurdson had a deal agreed with Swansea. I wonder if that will change now
dont think sigurdson is signed to swansea
thought some of the top teams would have shown more interest.my link into reading thinks thinks hes going back

Astute

he wont try and pouch any players this season as there is a clause saying in his contract that he cant's get any swansea players

So if Swansea get offered 5m or more for a player out of contract in 12 months...........

Tad

Should of stayed at Swansea. Less pressure, little expectation and better fans.

Users who are viewing this thread