Brandon Wood Closing (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Only played golf once, it was there. Got the green with my first shot - what's the fuss about?

Spent the rest of the round hacking my way around the course, wading in water, climbing a tree(!) at one point to fetch a ball - resorted to just patting it along the last couple of holes just to finish.

Never again.

Otis

Only played golf once, it was there. Got the green with my first shot - what's the fuss about?

Spent the rest of the round hacking my way around the course, wading in water, climbing a tree(!) at one point to fetch a ball - resorted to just patting it along the last couple of holes just to finish.

Never again.
I did Brandon in 78. That was just the first 9 holes though. I gave up after that.

Certainly more than big enough for a football stadium and parking for 30,000 cars.

Skybluefaz

Never again.
When was this? I think the first hole is a par 5! You never hit that in one!

shepardo01

When was this? I think the first hole is a par 5! You never hit that in one!
First hole is stroke index 1!... hardest on the course!.... par 4 I think. 2nd is a par 3.
Did you not pay and nip straight onto the second!?

Sad news, don't play a lot of golf but most of my golf played has been there!

Spend summers as a kid walking there with a few mates, "golf balling" finding balls and selling them to the punters on the putting green or first tee for a lot cheaper than the shop!... was chased off a few times!

"Enjoyed" a fair few rounds starting from the age of about 13/14 with a few mates, too skint to buy balls so tipp-exed driving range balls that you could just pick up close to the range!
Ran out of balls a few times so had to quit rounds too!

In uni days when friends back from around country, had Christmas eve special rounds too!

Broke 100 only a handful of times... challenging course.

Good Times.... (sort of!)

Rip Brandon Golf course.

Cheers CCC.... thanks for giving all those millions to Wasps for their "new front door" to the Ricoh....:mad:

Terry Gibson's perm

Probably asking wasps if they have any use for it and if not they will try to sell for housing

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I think I drove past the place once. That's about as much as my interest goes.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Probably build student accommodation on the grounds. They'd have nice garden areas.

Kneeza

Never again.
That sort of mirrors my experience of golf. Apart from the 'tree' and 'green' bits ;)
Pub game played outdoors, by people trying to look like they're from Florida.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't mind golf but it does seem like courses take up a lot of space relative to other sports for something that's largely frequented by only a very narrow band of people, often middle-class/affluent, male and white. Esp. private club courses. It needs to become more inclusive and taken up by more people to justify the amount of land dedicated to it compared to others.

I remember in the 90's when they were paying farmers to not use their land to produce food and quite a few built golf courses on them, so effectively got paid twice. Has moved more into it being for natural conservation/rewilding now which I much prefer.

Kneeza

...largely frequented by only a very narrow band of people, often middle-class/affluent, male and white. Esp. private club courses.
There's a private (and apparently very expensive one near us) with a public footpath running through it. You should see the looks you get! Mind you, there's a very flat, well mown picnic area with a flag to identify it, so that's nice.

wingy

It's a shame Brandon hall hotel isn't more adjacent to it.
Could maybe promote a more Forrest of Arden type experience.

Users who are viewing this thread