Bradford City 1985 (1 Viewer)

kdrinkell

I think this is the worst footage I have watched,you just could not imagine what the poor chap toward the end felt at that time.

coundonskyblue

Think it also shows how the mentality of football supporters has changed since then. Its difficult to imagine fans of any club now singing and cheering whilst a stand is burning down.

kg82

I think this is the worst footage I have watched,you just could not imagine what the poor chap toward the end felt at that time.

I read up a bit on it after. Says he died late on in hospital. That was the horrific thing. He was just walking along and on fire.

Otis

Remember it at at the time.

But watching that now has really brought tears to my eyes. :(:(

So tragic.

Can't see anything like this happening again with modern concrete stadiums thank god.

Real

I had a collection at school at the time and sent it to the victims of the fire.

Regis87

Remember it well
About the same time as the more publicised Hillsborough and Heysel disasters which I remember watching live on tv

CCFC Germany

Are there still clubs playing Bradford and chanting "Bradford" while slapping themselves on the body ?
Saw it ages ago and it felt pretty sick.

Brighton Sky Blue

I was just browsing You Tube.

Terrible day for them especially as they were celebrating promotion from Div 3 (Lge 1 now) to Div 2 (Championship now).

This may explain, one reason of many, to younger posters as to why we have so many new stadiums are around today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6iTSAwGo1Y&feature=related

When I was training to be a ref we were shown the unedited footage of several disasters including Valley Parade-the others were, as you'd expect, Hillsborough and Heysel, but also at a Birmingham match where the wall gave way at the top of the stand. People should never go to a football match worried about whether they'll make it back.

derbyskyblue

This isn't a good thread,can it be removed ?
No it should'nt!!!! I well remember watching this first time around, hav'nt seen it till this. Brought back many memories. I watched this opened mouthed first time around...could'nt believe what i was watching. If any good came out of it, at least lots of these death trap stadiums no longer exist.
Stadiums back then were shit. Yes we can all talk about old proper footy stadiums but mostly they were shit....and accidents waiting to happen. Tell me would you rather have highfield road with its inaccessible streets on matchday or the ricoh. I know which i prefer. And k drinkell your right it isnt a good thread, in fact its a terrible thread, but be thankful you have the ricoh and not some dump of a ground like.....dare i say it, highfield road.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I remember watching this unfold live on TV. Couldn't bring myself to watch the youtube version. I still remember that day well enough without watching it again. :(

coundonskyblue

No it should'nt!!!! I well remember watching this first time around, hav'nt seen it till this. Brought back many memories. I watched this opened mouthed first time around...could'nt believe what i was watching. If any good came out of it, at least lots of these death trap stadiums no longer exist.
Stadiums back then were shit. Yes we can all talk about old proper footy stadiums but mostly they were shit....and accidents waiting to happen. Tell me would you rather have highfield road with its inaccessible streets on matchday or the ricoh. I know which i prefer. And k drinkell your right it isnt a good thread, in fact its a terrible thread, but be thankful you have the ricoh and not some dump of a ground like.....dare i say it, highfield road.

In fairness Highfield Rd in 2005 would not have been capable of burning down like that. I take your point though in that I imagine the Ricoh is probably a far safer place to watch football.

scroobiustom

I'm close to tears here, never seen the footage before, but have heard of it. I would like the post to say thank you for putting it on but don't feel that's quite right...so so sad :(

Otis

Surprised Youtube have let it be posted up. That guy on fire ........:(:( ... well it's just not right. Bascially watching someone burn alive before your very eyes.

Very important for people to know what happened and we need to remember things like this, but well ..... all I can say is that I myself would have never put that up or considered doing so without editing the footage so the most horrific moments were removed.

Just hope relatives of that bloke on fire never get to see that footage.

So, so sad.

Brighton Sky Blue

There was a fire at HR in the late '60s I think-though it happened when the ground was empty; pretty sure it was mentioned in one of Jim Brown's books.

coundonskyblue

There was a fire at HR in the late '60s I think-though it happened when the ground was empty; pretty sure it was mentioned in one of Jim Brown's books.

It was the old Main Stand. Probably a blessing really as it led to the old wooden structure being replaced by the safer concrete one.

Users who are viewing this thread