Boxing Movie (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

On BBC 2 last night was a cracking boxing movie called Jawbone. True story about an ex junior boxing champion who had hit hard times etc, and his struggles to return to sobriety.Ray Winstone was in it so he's always worth watching in gritty films.
It's dark and moody with a great finale at the end, the fight scenes are brutal.
So I'd reccommend it to any Pugilist fans, and it's only an hour and a half long but packs a lot in.

CCFCSteve

Great shout mate. Watched it tonight. Really enjoyed it. I recalled seeing an interview with Jonny Harris ages ago about the film (think he was actually a decent amateur fighter as a lad) and then totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder !

bringbackrattles

Great shout mate. Watched it tonight. Really enjoyed it. I recalled seeing an interview with Jonny Harris ages ago about the film (think he was actually a decent amateur fighter as a lad) and then totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder !
Pleased you liked the film. One of the best boxing movies I've seen in my opinion. It got great reviews and highly rated among film critics. And Ray Winstone has that edge to his characters in all his movies.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I’ll give this a watch , I can also recommend Journeyman if you can find it. Paddy Considine is fantastic in it

wingy

I was going to watch it but in the current climate found that early scene in the job centre too heavy,so dipped out .Gather it has a Weller soundtrack too.
Only the lightest of entertainment here atm.

bringbackrattles

I was going to watch it but in the current climate found that early scene in the job centre too heavy,so dipped out .Gather it has a Weller soundtrack too.
Only the lightest of entertainment here atm.
I'm living right next door to the Job Centre. It is closed but seen staff going in and out all week. My son lost his building job due to the virus, feel like shouting Yozzer style " give my son a job, go on give him a job. "

wingy

I'm living right next door to the Job Centre. It is closed but seen staff going in and out all week. My son lost his building job due to the virus, feel like shouting Yozzer style " give my son a job, go on give him a job. "
Love a bit of Bernhard Hughes.

Sky_Blue_Daz

That Jonny Harris bloke was LoL’ s Dad in This is England

rob9872

Just watched it on iplayer. Great shout BBR, never heard of it and loved that mate. Bit clichéd like all boxing films of losing then comes back to win, but proper raw and gritty made it feel more authentic.

Only know Harris from This is England and see he wrote and directed too but was a good performance by him.

All 3 main characters believable and don't think I've ever seen a Ray Winstone film I disliked. Loved Sexy Beast btw.

bringbackrattles

He was trained for the boxing scenes by Barry Mcguigan and his son. They said he was a natural and it showed as he looked good. Yes most boxing films are based on the loser coming back to win, but I really like this film, and all who have watched it say the same.

bringbackrattles

Just watched it on iplayer. Great shout BBR, never heard of it and loved that mate. Bit clichéd like all boxing films of losing then comes back to win, but proper raw and gritty made it feel more authentic.

Only know Harris from This is England and see he wrote and directed too but was a good performance by him.

All 3 main characters believable and don't think I've ever seen a Ray Winstone film I disliked. Loved Sexy Beast btw.
My favourite boxer nowadays is Canelo.
When he hangs up his gloves I reckon his life and career would make a good movie. I've been watching a few of his fights on YouTube , very impressive. His training videos are worth a watch too, you feel knackered just sitting viewing it !

CCFCSteve

My favourite boxer nowadays is Canelo.
When he hangs up his gloves I reckon his life and career would make a good movie. I've been watching a few of his fights on YouTube , very impressive. His training videos are worth a watch too, you feel knackered just sitting viewing it !

A mate sent me this over the weekend. Canelos first round of his professional debut in the US (he’d already had about 40 fights in Mexico, unbelievable at 19 !)

nearly didn’t go to plan !!!

bringbackrattles

Seen it before but on Film4 tomorrow night is the movie Warrior. Starring Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton. Decent film with plenty of boxing action throughout, on at 10.55 so great for insomniacs !

wingy

My son is the same wingy. Told me he can't sleep so stays up till the early hours watching the telly or playing music. I've settled down now and am fast asleep by midnight. Whatever suits you I guess ?
I've toed and froed significantly over the last decade or so BBR .
Spells of insomnia followed by frenetic periods of ultra busy work schedule.
I know which is best out of the two for mental health and the bank Lol .

Users who are viewing this thread