Birmingham Bears (1 Viewer)

kg82

Just seen Warwickshire have changed their name to Birmingham Bears for the T20 campaign. Bit strange. How do people feel about that?

kg82

I'd say 90% who attend matches come from Birmingham, and have no affiliation to Warwickshire. A long time coming perhaps?

They haven't moved though? It's the county boundary that's changed... And quite a while ago now! Add to that, last time I checked, Birmingham isn't a county!

They haven't moved though? It's the county boundary that's changed... And quite a while ago now! Add to that, last time I checked, Birmingham isn't a county!

Exactly. Surely if they were going to change names it would have to be West Midlands Bears?

Joy Division

Yep they've always been there.

Swanny80

This is a total joke. We support a county not a city and especially not Birmingham. Jeez coventry are playing in Northampton and Warwickshire are now Birmingham in T20! What the hell is going on?

bigfatronssba

Its supposed to represent the ancient county of Warwickshire, not some smokey industrial area that only become a city in 1889.

WCCC represent the current boundaries of Coventry & Warwickshire, Solihull and only some of Birmingham. Everyone forgets that not all of Birmingham was in Warwickshire, some was in Worcestershire and some was in Staffordshire. So they've named their cricket team after a city with parts outside their own area.

Basically they've just stuck two fingers up to anyone this side of the M42.

Joy Division

http://www.edgbaston.com/1603/warwi...am-bears-team-name-for-natwest-t20-blast.html

Colin Povey, Chief Executive of Warwickshire CCC, said: “Birmingham and Edgbaston has been the Club’s home since 1886 and we believe that adopting the Birmingham Bears name for the NatWest t20 Blast presents a great opportunity for us to engage even more closely with fans living and working at the heart of the City. Asian families, business men and women working in the city’s commercial districts and local cricket clubs are three particular audiences the Club is seeking to work with more next season.

Colesy55

Cant see many coventry born people supporting a team named Birmingham !! Shocking decision from W.C.C.C !!

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Wrong to exclude Coventry, what about West Midland bears?
If it has to be Birmingham, what about Birmingham Canels? Most famous Birmingham thing I reckon.

Joking aside, this sort of think is a worrying trend. Its almost now fasonable to tear up history and alienate people.

Covstu

Wrong to exclude Coventry, what about West Midland bears?
If it has to be Birmingham, what about Birmingham Canels? Most famous Birmingham thing I reckon.

Joking aside, this sort of think is a worrying trend. Its almost now fasonable to tear up history and alienate people.
Birmingham shit accents maybe???

Covstu

I was furious when I read this, been to Egbaston a few times to watch the Warwickshire but would not go anymore. This is like Coventry being called Northampton......sign of things to come???

Brighton Sky Blue

http://www.edgbaston.com/1603/warwi...am-bears-team-name-for-natwest-t20-blast.html

Colin Povey, Chief Executive of Warwickshire CCC, said: “Birmingham and Edgbaston has been the Club’s home since 1886 and we believe that adopting the Birmingham Bears name for the NatWest t20 Blast presents a great opportunity for us to engage even more closely with fans living and working at the heart of the City. Asian families, business men and women working in the city’s commercial districts and local cricket clubs are three particular audiences the Club is seeking to work with more next season.

And with that, I withdraw my support. Congrats to those at WCCC.

wingy

While I see this as wrong and am appalled at the cheap marketing ploys from commercial Spivs connected with Sporting entities
It is for the T20 only and an attempt to sex it up in the guise of the hugely successful Indian PL.
What they fail to understand about the British phsyche is our abhorrence of Glitz ,Razzamataz and Hype,if it don't come natural ,forget it.
What they are in effect doing and its happening more and more is going for a different demographic which tends to Preclude the middle aged male .
It will soon only be possible to get our perfect habitat within the realms of lower/ non -league establishments of all sporting disciplines
The only omission from that equation is that WCCC seem to have acted Unilaterally so Here's a few suggestions for sexing up the entire league.

BRUMMIE BATTER BOYS

LEICESTERSHIRE LICKERS

SUSSEX SWINGERS

DURHAM DOGGERS

CANTERBURY COUGARS

MIDDLESEX MINXIE MUNCHERS

LANCASHIRE FULL TOSS POTS

ETC

Users who are viewing this thread