Bigi (1 Viewer)

jabharty

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Bigi looked out of his depth today. He was exhausted by the 50 minute mark, he was trying all these skills that never came off, and showed no pace what so ever.
Don't get me wrong, I highly rate Bigi, but maybe it's time he got back to basics and had a few games in the reserves.
#AllTheBestPUSB :)D)

skybluegod

he was alright first half but nobody was passing to him so when he got it he was suprised and he's not a RM so when we switched to 4-4-2 it made him worse.

Marty

Yeah was very poor, took to long to make his mind up with the ball at his feet and has no strength on the ball, It'll come with experience and age.

ccfcdan

Looked like nerves got the better of him today. Not sure he's going to handle the pressure of the Bristol game. Time to get Deegan back in the starting 11 or dare i say it even David Bell.

jabharty

Looked like nerves got the better of him today. Not sure he's going to handle the pressure of the Bristol game. Time to get Deegan back in the starting 11 or dare i say it even David Bell.
Yup, you've put it perfectly. He definitely will not handle the nerves of the Brizzle game, and we may have to consider Bell.
Well, I wouldn't put him in the team, but AT would, and that move could either pay off or burn horribly. Not looking forward to the team sheet on Monday, I can say that for sure...

Too much pressure on him for a young lad, there's no doubt he has ability but he knows how important there games are for us an he ain't ready. It's not the way for young lads to learn love bigi an we are destroying him

torchomatic

He's scared of being in possession of the ball. As soon as he gets it he gets rid of it as quick as he can regardless of whether the pass is good or not.

Because he's lost his confidence, I know its completely different but seen him play at U18 an he runs the game his passing ability and vision is unbelievable

jabharty

It may be that he cannot bare the criticism of the modern crowd, so he wants to get rid of the ball so to not ruin the attack.
I must concede, the modern crowd's criticism is brutal, and we don't realise how much damage that can do to a young footballer. I spose that an older footballer has learned to live with it, but being 18 and being told that "you're shite" is not really the most constructive comment in the world.
I think that Bigi is an inspiration to a lot of kids with dreams. He turned up at the academy doorstep and asked for a trial, and they came to see him play and they gave him a trial.
Lets hope that he becomes a new wonder-kid.

Don't scream at me for this post, it's only a theory, and a problem that young players face.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Destroying him?! Christ, talk about overreaction! There are a lot of young lads and they are all feeling the pressure.

Too much pressure on him for a young lad, there's no doubt he has ability but he knows how important there games are for us an he ain't ready. It's not the way for young lads to learn love bigi an we are destroying him

Yorkshire SB

He's played out of position, it's as simple as that. Clingan, Bigi, Deegan and to a certain extent Thomas and Norwood all want to occupying that slot at the back of the diamond. But whilst it was a diamond I think Bigi did okay. Second half he was poor but he was played right midfield, he found himself drifting too central and the game was passing him by. Pre-season, particularly against Leamington (I'm aware it's only Leamington) he sat in front of the back four and was sensational.
Personally I think Clingan is so average it's untrue, if he leaves, I'd like to see AT show some faith and give the lad Bigi a go there

torchomatic

There's nothing wrong with criticism. When it turns into abuse then that's another thing.

Exactly that, why oh why city fans criticize him or any of our players really gets to me

I've sat in the main stand at the ricoh and it is abuse players are destroyed, scared to make a mistake. why don't we support our players? Last time I sat there baker got ridiculous abuse, is he a bad player? Would he play better if we all supported him an the rest of the team like block 15

torchomatic

I agree. There are people round me who do that to. I never have or ever will abuse players while at the ground.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I don't think he liked our shape in the second half, along with Nimely. Both looked to being asked to play in positions they didn't like.

Wasn't one of his better games, which is a shame as I thought he might have been returning to the Bigi we all know and love

jabharty

Thought you guys wouldn't be with me on the abuse thing, but, cool :p
Yeah, it really is worrying about where certain fans are taking football atm, but thats a story for another day.....

Nonleagueherewecome

I think the point about modern crowds is fair enough, we are pretty impatient. But people were bound to by on edge today, it was a huge game: as such the pressure on a youngster was even greater, so that's another factor in his performance today.

For me the problem isn't what he does when he gets the ball-he hit two dipping, swerving crosses into the 6 yard box second half that were every bit as good technically as what Norwood did today (we were sat right behind them). A more deadly striker than Platt would have buried at least one of them. His first touch was also immaculate at times, and he has ability, there is no doubt about that.

One concern is strength-he was constantly out-muscled and and one occasion he was actually palmed away (shoved in the chest) today.

But the real problem is his positioning, both his defensive and his movement going forwards. I was genuinely really worried about this before today's game, as when he was in the side early-season it was a major problem, and something similar to what Connor suffered when he last played that position (and had a mare). I've seen so many seasoned pro's just move him around at will (Boyd today 2nd half, and he was put there to do it by a manager who probably had access to Man U's scout reports on Gael!); he often "marks space", standing in an area where he offers no defensive cover. When he does close down, it's too late and creates another gap. Also, when play is progressing with us in position, he is slow to move off the ball: he isn't always looking, so doesn't stand much chance of anticipating. Again, it's a mental thing to do with concentration that will come with time.

All told, he doesn't look ready to be starting games yet. Fantastic talent, but can't do the basics that are required-particularly the positional, off the ball things. The contrast when Deegan came on was vivid: he closed the gap in front of Jordan, and his off-the-ball movement when we were in position was superb as ever, offering an option (that Sammy usually ignored in favour of a hoof to Platt..), and in one move in the corner playing a beautiful reverse-pass blind. That was the first time 2nd half we got anywhere near that byline. The change should have been made 20-30 mins earlier, and it should be from the start on Monday. Gael will come again next season, a better, more mature player. Unless we flog him..

Last edited:

Otis

I am concerned that the Bristol game is the sort of game that Deegan will get sent off in. Bigi did look very nervous out there though for sure.

What's happened to Conor Thomas? He played dreadfully in thta one game, got taken off at half time and I don't think he has even appeared on the bench since.

warpau87

Bigi looked lost yesterday, slightly better 2nd half, but no strength atall, bring Deegs back for Bristol.City.

Yorkshire SB

Nonleagueherewecome, you really don't like Norwood do you? Criticising Gael and you can't help but have a dig at Norwood. As if Bigi's passes were as good as Norwood's. Bigi put in two decent crosses, Norwood's were insightful through balls, with the perfect weight and height that led to two goals.
As for your comments on Gael I agree he was moved around and positionally not good enough, however I do think he is being played out of position and if you factor in his age and lack of experience, then I think you've got to cut the lad a bit of slack.

EleanorRigby

I don't think Bigi is quiet ready yet and certainly not ready for pressure cooker games like we are having at the moment. That doesn't make him a poor player it shows what he is, a kid, learning. He wasn't on his own I thought all the younger players struggled a bit, Bigi, Nimely,Clarke even Norwood. As for crowd reaction thats part and parcel of pro football and he has to handle that. It isn't always shouting from a crowd either but that prolonged nervous silence that happens, all part of the learning process.

Pigeon

I don't think Bigi was the only one, the midfield was completely missing at times during the game! Unless McSheffs knocks in a goal he is a complete waste of space on the pitch, Sammy was doing his usual backwards antics and Gael is a young lad thrown into a first team squad too early and its completely knocked his confidence.

AFCCOVENTRY

We need Deegs for a fight tomorrow. Platt will need to come in as a battering ram upfront.

Biggest game in City's life for about a decade

SkyBlue_Bear83

Deegan for me tomorrow, I disagree with the comments about the crowd. I thought they were very supportive yesterday and backed the team to the end, Gael when he was subbed got a great round of applause from the whole stadium so how is that knocking his confidence? Same with Nimely who got a great round of applause, both player were relatively poor but the crowd still supported them. Hardly destroying their confidence.

Nonleagueherewecome

Nonleagueherewecome, you really don't like Norwood do you? Criticising Gael and you can't help but have a dig at Norwood. As if Bigi's passes were as good as Norwood's. Bigi put in two decent crosses, Norwood's were insightful through balls, with the perfect weight and height that led to two goals.
As for your comments on Gael I agree he was moved around and positionally not good enough, however I do think he is being played out of position and if you factor in his age and lack of experience, then I think you've got to cut the lad a bit of slack.

If you read my post again, it wasn't a dig at Norwood, it was a compliment to Gael. Norwood is our most creative midfielder and without him we'd be down by now (THERE YA GO!). But I am fair handed and tell it like it is-not a single post had mentioned the things he cocked up yesterday, they were so busy fawning over him, so I flagged up an obvious issue-he's better in terms of creativity than in terms of mental decision making (ie when to try the killer ball), and indeed is more creative than he is technically proficient, as seen with the mis-placed passes. But again that's to be expected with a kid-we wouldn't have got him if he could do those things.

Yorkshire SB

If you read my post again, it wasn't a dig at Norwood, it was a compliment to Gael. Norwood is our most creative midfielder and without him we'd be down by now (THERE YA GO!). But I am fair handed and tell it like it is-not a single post had mentioned the things he cocked up yesterday, they were so busy fawning over him, so I flagged up an obvious issue-he's better in terms of creativity than in terms of mental decision making (ie when to try the killer ball), and indeed is more creative than he is technically proficient, as seen with the mis-placed passes. But again that's to be expected with a kid-we wouldn't have got him if he could do those things.

Admittedly you haven't criticised Norwood there, but my point was in regards to the forum as a whole, and I think by stating bigi's crosses were as good as Norwood's is very harsh on Norwood. Incidentally on another post you did have a dig at him and included some part about him thinking he was special cos he plays for man utd...
I'm sorry but we're just going to have to disagree, if a player puts through two killer balls in a game and both lead to a goal, then regardless of whether he could make a simple 10 yard pass instead, he has earnt the right to go for another. Not every pass will come off (nature of football), but if he believes he can do it, and judging by his pedigree, then I don't think you can criticise him for trying it.

Users who are viewing this thread