Big Sky Blues Fan -Goode (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

Cov Kid Andy Goode says Wasps can fill the gap for top level sports in Coventry
17 December 2014 03:38 PM Aidan McCartney
The former King Henry VIII school pupil says playing at the Ricoh Arena is a dream come true and he wants to make Coventry a successful place to play
Wasps' fly-half Andy Goode believes the arrival of top class sport in Coventry can help turn the city into a sporting stronghold.

Goode, along with his team-mates, had his first taste of life at the Ricoh Arena on Tuesday with an open training session on the pitch following their controversial switch and the lifelong Coventry City fan hopes to replicate the success seen by the Sky Blues during their top flight days.

"I think the people of Coventry are crying out for a top level sports team to be here and as a Coventry City fan I know people attended in their thousands when we were in the Premier League and Championship so hopefully we can reproduce that," he said.

"There is a rich sporting history in the city and the area so the more Wasps embed ourselves into the community we can show the people of Coventry we can be something for them to be proud of in their city.

VIEW GALLERY
"It's a partnership going forward, not just with the football club but with Coventry Rugby Club as well. We will be supporting them and there will be a plan for that. We are not competing with them, we're working to develop rugby in the area. We want to make Coventry a successful place to play."

Wasps begin a new era in front of more than 27,000 supporters against London Irish on Sunday and Goode admits playing at the home of Coventry City is a dream although his job means that he'll not be able to watch them take on Fleetwood Town on Saturday.

"I'm a big Sky Blues fans and I'm normally sat in one of the box for their games so to be out on the pitch playing will be unbelievable for me especially in front of all my friends and family. Unfortunately I'll miss Saturday's game due to training but I'll be out on the pitch after the game to practice my kicking.

The rugby club have relaid the pitch ahead of the Sky Blues and Wasps double header at the weekend and the former England international is sure it'll stand its first test.

VIEW GALLERY
He said: "There was a fair bit of hype about the pitch before we moved here but Wasps have invested money into it and I know the groundsman has worked tirelessly to get it right for Sunday's game.

"Like with anything new, there will always be a few teething problems but it stood up well to the lads training on it so I'm sure by Sunday it'll be in good condition."

Despite all the hype surrounding Wasps' first game at the Ricoh, Goode is keen to start a new era with a professional performance against Irish.

He added: "We finished really well at Wycombe on Sunday in an emotional game so we'll do the same again and put all the emotions to one side to make it just another match we want to win.

"It's brilliant that so many people are going to be able to watch us play and the fans will be amazing but by kick off on Sunday our job is to focus on winning a game of rugby and I hope we can do that."

Nick

Administrator
Christ, how many times will they print it's his childhood dream to play at the ricoh and it wasn't built.

Wonder what the last ccfc game was he went to?

He is basically saying that ccfc are crap so people should go and watch wasps as they are in the top league?

SkyBlue_Bear83

Christ, how many times will they print it's his childhood dream to play at the ricoh and it wasn't built.

He is basically saying that ccfc are crap so people should go and watch wasps as they are in the top league?
That's essentially there target fan base isn't it? Football fans who have become disillusioned with CCFC and the floating fans, how many of the missing 20k from the Gillingham match will be at the Wasps match? I'd guess a good majority of them.

they've already started trying to convert the next generation of youth into Wasp fans when these should be the future fans of CCFC/CRFC.

After the way SISU have treated the people of Coventry, it didn't take much to turn some it seems, I had hoped the people were made of stronger stuff but seems not. Few smiles, nice words and free tickets was all it took and they look like marketing geniuses next to SISU.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Do you reckon there is any chance of the higgs kicking out the academy to move the wasps academy in? We only have a 12 month rolling deal at the higgs, wouldn't surprise me.

Nick

Administrator
That's essentially there target fan base isn't it? Football fans who have become disillusioned with CCFC and the floating fans, how many of the missing 20k from the Gillingham match will be at the Wasps match? I'd guess a good majority of them.

they've already started trying to convert the next generation of youth into Wasp fans when these should be the future fans of CCFC/CRFC.

After the way SISU have treated the people of Coventry, it didn't take much to turn some it seems, I had hoped the people were made of stronger stuff but seems not. Few smiles, nice words and free tickets was all it took and they look like marketing geniuses next to SISU.

Sounds like a council style "We love CCFC" article to me. As long as you mention the Fa Cup Final or something in the article it's as if it is ok to then go on and be a dick about things.

duffer

When we get 50% of the revenues from the arena, it's a partnership. Until then we're just junior tenants. It's a pity the telegraph, and some other bigger papers like the Guardian are happy to just churn out any old tat from Wasps PR and ignore the bigger questions.

Covstu

So we will get 8-11K on Saturday and they get 27K on Sunday. Well done people of Coventry.....

Nick

Administrator
When we get 50% of the revenues from the arena, it's a partnership. Until then we're just junior tenants. It's a pity the telegraph, and some other bigger papers like the Guardian are happy to just churn out any old tat from Wasps PR and ignore the bigger questions.

How can you say that, he has been dreaming of playing at the Ricoh for 30 years.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Where does it mention that it's his childhood dream to play at the Ricoh and later you say mentioning the fa cup final where's that then. And you call him a dick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martcov

So we will get 8-11K on Saturday and they get 27K on Sunday. Well done people of Coventry.....

Don't blame the people of Coventry. Get back to the premiership or win a cup and they will be there. Drifting into oblivion doesn't motivate people to support the team. Something new, something ambitious obviously does.

albatross

Not singling you out but why is everybody blaming everyone else apart from the Club and the owners. At this point Wasps have not stolen a single supporter from Coventry City. They may attract some people that would not have gone to see them anyway due to the various reasons highlighted on this board SISU, Higgs , or just that its not fun anymore.

Leicester as a city manage to get close to 30k for their football team and 20k for their rugby team. Both live side by side as teams in the top league that they can play in. They pull from different demographics with a relatively small crossover group. CRFC do not and never have taken supporters from CCFC. WASPS or no Wasps CCFC will continue to be the biggest crowd in puller in the area if they ever get their act together.

Nick

Administrator
Where does it mention that it's his childhood dream to play at the Ricoh and later you say mentioning the fa cup final where's that then. And you call him a dick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says it here - http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-uni...asps-sell-17000-tickets-for-ricoh-arena-debut

"As someone who grew up in Coventry, the prospect of playing in front of a packed Ricoh Arena for our first game is massively exciting," said Wasps fly-half Andy Goode.
"This is a childhood dream come true. We’ve still got two important games before we play there, but there’s a real buzz around the squad and we just can’t wait to get out there and put on a show."

I didn't say he did mention the FA Cup, just that if you throw in 1987 you can then go on to say what you want about CCFC.

Nick

Administrator
Not singling you out but why is everybody blaming everyone else apart from the Club and the owners. At this point Wasps have not stolen a single supporter from Coventry City. They may attract some people that would not have gone to see them anyway due to the various reasons highlighted on this board SISU, Higgs , or just that its not fun anymore.

Leicester as a city manage to get close to 30k for their football team and 20k for their rugby team. Both live side by side as teams in the top league that they can play in. They pull from different demographics with a relatively small crossover group. CRFC do not and never have taken supporters from CCFC. WASPS or no Wasps CCFC will continue to be the biggest crowd in puller in the area if they ever get their act together.

What did Leicester get in League One?

John_Silletts_Nose

Says it here - http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-uni...asps-sell-17000-tickets-for-ricoh-arena-debut

I didn't say he did mention the FA Cup, just that if you throw in 1987 you can then go on to say what you want about CCFC.

The article does not state that his childhood dream is to play at the Ricoh, the sentence "This is a childhood dream come true" is a standalone comment, it can be interpreted in many ways but I believe the childhood dream is to play at a stadium in Coventry, which is his home town.

Nick

Administrator
The article does not state that his childhood dream is to play at the Ricoh, the sentence "This is a childhood dream come true" is a standalone comment, it can be interpreted in many ways but I believe the childhood dream is to play at a stadium in Coventry, which is his home town.

It is certainly how it is read every time it has been written.

albatross

What did Leicester get in League One?

Probably not the best comparison as they only stayed there for one season but the average home gate was 17,983 . Lowest about 7,500 in a cup match.

Highest was about 30,500 at the end of April when they were flying high so at its worst where we currently are, but they had a winning season so people came back

Last edited:

Grendel

I believe its made up shit from the Wasps PR machine to show that the franchise club has someone with affinity to the City it's decided to call home this year.

Moff

Well if it was his childhood dream to play at a stadium in Coventry, why didnt he just sign for Coventry at some point in his career?
It seems easier than moving a Club 80 miles up the M1 just so he can play in his home city.:whistle:

Grendel

Well if it was his childhood dream to play at a stadium in Coventry, why didnt he just sign for Coventry at some point in his career?
It seems easier than moving a Club 80 miles up the M1 just so he can play in his home city.:whistle:

According to Wilkki he signed for Coventry at 16

Moff

According to Wilkki he signed for Coventry at 16

Well hasnt he achieved his childhood dream then?
Surely the Wasps PR machine are not spinning some porkies, when good old Andy has already achieved his dream?

Steve.B50

Some me good points.

Nick

Administrator
I believe its made up shit from the Wasps PR machine to show that the franchise club has someone with affinity to the City it's decided to call home this year.

Of course it is, but like I said because he mentions Coventry and throws cov kid in people fall for it.

Coval

Can anyone tell me what evidence they have to question either the veracity of his reported remarks or show that he was being disingenuous.

Nick

Administrator
images

Coval

Looks like you were right they are better at PR. My grandson was told today he was picked to form part of a guard of honour on Sunday consisting of children from local rugby clubs dressed in their full club colours.

chiefdave

Cov Kid Andy Goode says Wasps can fill the gap for top level sports in Coventry
The former King Henry VIII school pupil says playing at the Ricoh Arena is a dream come true and he wants to make Coventry a successful place to play
Wasps' fly-half Andy Goode believes the arrival of top class sport in Coventry can help turn the city into a sporting stronghold.

Such a dream come true that he's moving to London Irish!

Users who are viewing this thread