Big Following vs Smaller (1 Viewer)

Tommo72

Followed Cov Away for 30 years and been in some huge away followings and amongst a few hundred on a wet Wednesday night....

Interesting to know what everyone’s views are on what they prefer? I’m all for getting behind the team but I generally feel a very different atmosphere when the numbers grow above a 1,000. Yes to be expected etc with more drinking, lads, Stone Island etc but I just wonder if I’m on my own when I say I’m looking forward to Forest Green more?

I am 45 mind and when I was younger, like many I guess, I loved been part of the mob culture and giving it the big one at Villa etc LOL

Nick

Administrator
I'd have prefered to go to Forest Green than MK, but couldn't make it :(

I think it also depends on the type of following it is, like you say sometimes when there's a bit of a bandwagon there are people just there to get smashed and coked up but the people there for the football are still in amongst them.

skybluesam66

better atmosphere when
a) around 1000
b) they are all in a block

too many Johnny come lately supporters, and they don't know the players, never mind the songs
too spread out along the pitch dilutes the atmosphere

so I do not expect a great atmosphere at either mk or FG

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Yeah I agree with Nick with regards to what type of following it is. In an ideal world would love a huge following that avoids the arseholes, there have been a few times where I feel this has happened, but unfortunately its few and far between. I was lucky enough to get a Forest Green ticket and although I'm looking forward to it, it does annoy me when there's no roof, as every no roof game I've been to, the atmosphere has been dire. I did see that there were plans to put a roof on the Forest Green end at some point, not sure if this has happened yet but will be happy if so!

Tommo72

Forest Green was just an example by the way, but you know what I’m saying..the less desirable games I guess.

Nick

Administrator
What always baffles me is that people are still genuinely shocked they can't drink and watch the game. Against Stoke there were people getting annoyed because Stewards told them they couldn't sit there with their drink, they went back down with it and were still there just before halftime when I went for a piss just on the beers.

Don't get me wrong anybody cheering and backing the team whether they are absolute shit faced / coked up is a bonus!

Tommo72

What always baffles me is that people are still genuinely shocked they can't drink and watch the game. Against Stoke there were people getting annoyed because Stewards told them they couldn't sit there with their drink, they went back down with it and were still there just before halftime when I went for a piss just on the beers.

Don't get me wrong anybody cheering and backing the team whether they are absolute shit faced / coked up is a bonus!

I think it’s obvious at times when people don’t go very often lol.

I do find the potential for trouble increases massively with Cov when the numbers grow whereas with some clubs it’s either there or it isn’t? I guess after 30 years you’ve seen more or less every scenario within reason lol

Covstu

MK will have a different feel to it that normal but I am happy that all 8k have gone to ST holders and friends. Its great that we can take such a following and even if this gets another 100 to the Ricoh then its worth it. Don't get the negativity of taking so many!!

steve82

I like days like MK Dons with huge numbers creating a great atmosphere however that's only good when we're winning obviously.

I tend to find these big days out are more negative tho with more abuse rather than support for the team.

Personally I'm enjoying this year more than ever going to away games. That's obviously down to the games we're winning but I prefer 1000+ fans united in supporting the team with a few clowns thrown in as opposed to 1000 pissed up clowns abusing everything in sight.

Personally I'm looking forwards to Crewe away more than MK Dons.

The atmosphere we've created there in the past in a small old fashioned stand booming out supporting the side is fantastic.

They don't make grounds like they used to.

Tommo72

MK will have a different feel to it that normal but I am happy that all 8k have gone to ST holders and friends. Its great that we can take such a following and even if this gets another 100 to the Ricoh then its worth it. Don't get the negativity of taking so many!!

Where’s the negativity, it’s a friendly debate lol?

ricohroar

Also depends on the ground. I'm 43 and Ive been to Chelsea in the 80's and stood on a massive cop with about 200-300 city fans which was awful. I've also been to Wolves where 1000's are that spread out its got no atmosphere at all. Either a smaller group of 1500-2000 in a smaller area or a large group all packed in 1 end. I think MK Dons end packed will beat FGR for atmosphere.

Londonccfcfan

Away days are briliant. Been part of some amazing atmospheres.

An example of a smaller following was Exeter our lowest easily was one of the worst atmospheres non existant. Not helped by an early fuck up agreed.

Our biggest away following was Port vale still wasnt the best atmosphere. So not sure.

Best so far tgis season have been Swindon and Lincoln away. Both cracking games.

I think it depends on the game your watching. Cant beat going a goal down and coming from behind and winning.

SussexSkyBlue

It’s an interesting debate, really does depend on how the team starts in my opinion. I do enjoy FA cup game atmospheres though, remember playing Barnsley a few years back and atmosphere was brilliant

steve82

Away days are briliant. Been part of some amazing atmospheres.

An example of a smaller following was Exeter our lowest easily was one of the worst atmospheres non existant. Not helped by an early fuck up agreed.

Our biggest away following was Port vale still wasnt the best atmosphere. So not sure.

Best so far tgis season have been Swindon and Lincoln away. Both cracking games.

I think it depends on the game your watching. Cant beat going a goal down and coming from behind and winning.

Lincoln away has to be the best away game of the season so far, the atmosphere from both sets of fans in the second half was pretty good!
Naturally we player better the second half so our support got louder

mark82

better atmosphere when
a) around 1000
b) they are all in a block

too many Johnny come lately supporters, and they don't know the players, never mind the songs
too spread out along the pitch dilutes the atmosphere

so I do not expect a great atmosphere at either mk or FG

Was alright at Wembley with a lot of Johnny come lately's.

Sbarcher

That game against Wimbledon at Selhurst and that last game at WHL to stay up would be my best away. Oh, and the cup win at Villa Park.

Bennosdancingfeet

Strange one this. This season, grimsby away was class, then Yeovil was just shit with similar numbers. I love a big following but would be nice for once if 8000 could try and sing the skyblue song in unison. At Wembley it didn’t happen.

Fergusons_Beard

In my experience it depends on the game and if we score.

Port Vale was good this year until they scored.

Lincoln was brilliant because of the away fans and because we came from behind to win.

Also depends on occasion Hillsboro FA semi and Old Trafford Mifsud game both huge followings and brilliant atmosphere.

Equally Shef Weds away with a few 100 fans watching Oggy score and Squashed together in the old away sheep pen behind the goal at Old Trafford in the late eighties although not huge support brilliant atmosphere.

So no there isn’t a correlation between size of away support and atmosphere...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nick

Administrator
Lincoln was decent even when we were losing I thought, it helped obviously that their fans gave it loads and pretended they were planes like 4 year olds which made it obvious what was going to happen when we went 2-1 up.

Warwickhunt

That's what
E="steve82, post: 1463405, member: 8664"]I like days like MK Dons with huge numbers creating a great atmosphere however that's only good when we're winning obviously.

I tend to find these big days out are more negative tho with more abuse rather than support for the team.

Personally I'm enjoying this year more than ever going to away games. That's obviously down to the games we're winning but I prefer 1000+ fans united in supporting the team with a few clowns thrown in as opposed to 1000 pissed up clowns abusing everything in sight.

Personally I'm looking forwards to Crewe away more than MK Dons.

The atmosphere we've created there in the past in a small old fashioned stand booming out supporting the side is fantastic.

They don't make grounds like they used to.[/QUOTE]
Thats what Tim said!

Users who are viewing this thread