Best game I´ve seen (1 Viewer)

andrew.roberts

I live in Spain so don´t get to see many games, maybe one or two a year if I´m lucky.
Without doubt the best I´ve seen I believe was the last game of the nineties on boxing day at Highfield Rd. when we beat Arsenal 3 v 2. Three brilliant goals from McAllister, Hadji and Keane with replies from I think, Suker and Kanu.
Our flight arrived late at Luton and we had to make a mad dash up the M1 arriving a couple of minutes before kick off, but definitely worth risking my driving licence for.
What are others favourite or memorable games, and please correct me if I´m wrong about who scored for them ?

andrew.roberts

Thanks for the correction Cookie.

Another game I was privileged to see was the 6 v 1 win at the Bescott in January 2004. The company I work for here in Spain was importing Marston´s Pedigree at the time (what a beer, think I drank more than I sold), so we got complimentary tickets as Wolverhampton and Dudley breweries were sponsoring Walsall at the time through Banks´s.

Five of us went on the day, my two brothers , my father and the spanish goalkeeper from my 7 a side team. We had a meal in the ground and a lot of beer beforehand and Pete Waterman happened to be sitting at another table. He took quite a lot of stick, as you can imagine having been born within spitting distance of Highfield Rd. and supporting Walsall. A group of other invited City fans who were relentlessly downing the free ale, kept passing light hearted notes to the table concerning his unusual allegiance to our midland neighbours, to which, exasperated, he finally replied with a note of his own, which was a none too inspiring "why don´t you all just f**k off". Always suprised me how successful he has been.

We had seats in the home fan´s area, so I pre-warned my father (who had had a few in the lounge) to show some decorum if by the odd chance we should score so as not to unduly antagonise the folks in our vicinity, so of course we scored quite early on and he leapt into the air in celebration. The people around us were less than thrilled by his show of emotion but fortunately let it pass. They equalised soon afterwards ( not the greatest of suprises, one must admit, being a city fan ) through Darren Wrack, who looked like a really good player and is now at Kettering. Dad was instructed to sit on his hands in the unlikely event that we should score again, but I was not convinced he would contain himself.

So, the paradox, I wanted us to score of course, but at the same time didn´t because of my pissed progenitor. We went on to score another excruciating five (one more, perhaps would have been more suitable under the circumstances) and the old fella celebrated each and every one in his own inimitable way. Fortunately for us the locals were quite amused by him, but I don´t think I´ve ever made so many apologies to so many people in such a short period of time.

A memorable day indeed.

TheSnoz

Nice story, was at that game too. It was a rout wasn't it. Eric Black got us playing entertaining football. He is definitely the manager that got away thanks to that inept board at the time. Going back think Norwich 5-4 in the mid 1970s. Boxing Day. Standing on a freezing Kop. Sticks in my mind. Jim Blyth save a penalty with almost last kick of the game.

andrew.roberts

I remember the game but didn´t go due to an argument with the then girlfriend and missed a belter (wish I knew then what I know now !). My brother was at the game and waxed lyrical about it for days afterwards once his blood pressure had returned to normal.
Another one I remember is when we drew 1v1 with Wigan at home, the season they got promoted. They scored in the last seconds when the ball bobbled along the goal line agonisingly almost in slow motion before going in. It felt worse than losing. Jimmy Bullard was outstanding that day.

T

TrevorsathisPeake

Liverpool at Anfield in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup in the 97/98 season.We won 3-1 after going 1-0 down.Goals from Huckerby,Dublin and Telfer.The atmosphere was the best ive ever witnessed from the city fans.I thought our name was on the cup that year,beating Villa for the first time ever at there place and an excellent run in the league at the same time,only to be beaten on pens in Q/F replay by Sheff Utd.

Last edited by a moderator:

smileycov

Facebook User
hi, i reckon v tottenham in 86? when we won 4-3 regis scoring at the second attempt off the bar!!
But for sheer joy, and the occasion itself..........Derby last ever game at Highfield Rd 6-2. i paid for a table of 10 and took 8 non cov supporting mates.what a way to bring the curtain down!!

lord_garrincha

97-98 had some great games that year...

Man U 3-2
Liverpool 3-1
Villa 1-0 (oh yes!!!)

Followed by the agony, Sheff Utd on pens.

My personal fav was against Spurs at Highfield Road the season before in the League Cup... two down at half time, then winning 3-2!!!

I remember being in KFC by Stoke Park the next day and Marcus Hall was in there... Had to congratulate him before ordering my burger... His smile was as big as mine... Happy days...

PS. Good luck for the future Marcus!

andrew.roberts

Also v Liverpool in ´83, when Nicky Platnauer scored with his face and then pocket dynamo Terry Gibson scored a hat-trick. I remember helping my mate empty his hip flask full of Glenfiddich, cold day but a great game.

Users who are viewing this thread