Best Football Headline (1 Viewer)

Sbarcher

Got me thinking. Chelsea playing Bate tonight. A few years ago Everton played them and won. Headline next day in the paper was “Everton master Bate”. A classic missed by most people but journos having a laugh.
Any others?

Calista

I liked the Leamington Courier after the Brakes had beaten their rivals from the south coast - "ONE IN THE EYE FOR HASTINGS".

Hobo

Wasn't there one like Seaman Comes in Schmeichels box . Or was that a fantasy football side?

Adge

Didn’t like the England “Turnip Taylor” business when he was in charge. But a good one from that era when USA beat England-
“Yanks 2 Planks 0” :D

covmark

England
Algeria
Slovenia
Yanks

The headline when we got drawn this group for the 2010 world cup.

That went well.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

oucho

On Ceefax a few years on the news index, they used to have a single word giving them theme followed by a headline, all on the same line of text. Once they did

BLOW: Jobs lost at car factory.

matesx

Not a headline but classic commentary “oh my goodness! Nayim lobs Seaman from the half way line!”

Magwitch

Cricket commentary

The bowler,s holding
The batsman,s willey
I heard that when it happened the best ever from the late great commentator Brian Johnson. England v West Indies with Indies batsman Michael Holding facing England bowler Peter Willey Johnson innocently introduced us to the match by saying the batsman’s Holding the bowlers Willey absolute class.

Last edited:

Magwitch

Another classic was from Fulham manager Alec Stock’s answer to his goalkeeper can’t think of his name but in the cup-final v West Ham he let a goal in through his legs, he said sorry boss “I should of kept my legs closed” manager Stock replied “I wish your mother had” another classic

Cranfield Sky Blue

I heard that when it happened the best ever from the late great commentator Brian Johnson. England v West Indies with Indies batsman Michael Holding facing England bowler Peter Willey Johnson innocently introduced us to the match by saying the batsman’s Holding the bowlers Willey absolute class.
Whenever I hear Brian Johnson’s name, I think of the Botham tried to get his leg over moment!

(If you’re under 45 google it!)

Otis

Patrick Thistle manager, John Lambie upon being told by the trainer that his striker had been concussed in a game and didn't know who he was, came out with 'Great. Tell him he's Pele and get him back on!'

Otis

Ruud Gullit - 'We must have had 99% of the match. It was the other 3% that cost us the game.'

Howard Wilkinson -'I am a firm believer that if you score one goal the other team have to score two to win.'

David Beckham - When asked by an interviewer if he was volatile he said 'Well I usually play in the centre or on the right, but I can play on the left as well.'

David Beckham - 'We're definitely going to get Brooklyn Christened, but we don't know into which religion.'

Ron Atkinson - 'Well, Clive, it's all about the two M's, movement and positioning.'

Ron Atkinson - 'I never comment on referees and I am not going to change the habit of a lifetime for that prat.'

Calista

I remember John Motson saying in the 1982 World Cup, after a Spaniard got away with a bad foul – “that was a let-off for Ufarte”.

standupforcity

'Cowdrey...standing in the slips with his legs wide open...waiting for a tickle'...John Arlott.

oucho

Ha one of those things you know you have seen but don't pay attention

There was a big newspaper in the US which went to its first edition announcing the result of the presidential election and announced the wrong candidate as the winner....1948.

Dewey Defeats Truman - Wikipedia

Mask

Wasn't there an American one about them winning but they drew? Or did I imagine it
That's one that sprung to my mind, too!
ES5y7oV.jpg

Frank Sidebottom

After England had lost to Croatia and a backpass had bobbled over Paul Robinson's foot straight into the back of his net the Sun went with....
"Here's to you misses Robinson"

Users who are viewing this thread