Best film franchise (1 Viewer)

Otis

Some great ones there. I'd probably add the Pink Panther to the list, Peter Sellers at his best.

Interesting that so many are in the sci-fi or fantasy genera. People often scoff at nerds but when done well, some bloody good films have been made.

For me, guess it would have to be Bond for longevity, can't see that ever stopping and wonder who will be next when Craig hands in his PPK? So I'd say that's been the best film franchise.

As a franchise in general, I'd go with Star Trek - its evolved from a 60's 3 season TV flop into 5 different TV series (with a new one being launched in 2017) with hundreds of episodes, and over a dozen films (and counting). Not everyone likes it but its made a shit load of money.

Daft as it sounds, this is a great shout, taking into account the era when they came out.
Tell me more about the Star Trek new series. I'm intrigued.

Terry Gibson's perm

But Star Wars has had some dreadful clunkers in the franchise hasn't it.

I only didn't enjoy the jar jar binks one, but with all the clone wars stuff as well it is generally good but it is being disneyised.

chiefdave

Interesting that so many are in the sci-fi or fantasy genera. People often scoff at nerds but when done well, some bloody good films have been made.

Annoys me that it gets so overlooked as a genre when it comes to things like the Oscars.

Terry Gibson's perm

Hate the Bond rubbish Otis never seen Potter, hate Star Trek, never seen the Godfather although I like Mafia stuff and never seen Lord of the rings

Otis

Hate the Bond rubbish Otis never seen Potter, hate Star Trek, never seen the Godfather although I like Mafia stuff and never seen Lord of the rings
Do you live in an underground bunker?

How can you like Mafia stuff yet have never seen the Godfather?

Never seen HP? Have you got kids?

;)

Terry Gibson's perm

Do you live in an underground bunker? No but would like to

How can you like Mafia stuff yet have never seen the Godfather? Just never got around to watching it sky plus it once but wife moan as it took up too much memory

Never seen HP? Have you got kids? Just 3 but they are young 9,4,1 the oldest has ds so is not really into that sort of thing still prefers Mr Tumble.

;)

Otis

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is out at the end of next year. Don't be surprised if your oldest wants to see that when it opens. ;)

Terry Gibson's perm

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is out at the end of next year. Don't be surprised if your oldest wants to see that when it opens. ;)

She has only been to the cinema once as she is scared of certain places and the dark but she went to see the minions and did we hear about it for about three weeks from her.

RegTheDonk

Tell me more about the Star Trek new series. I'm intrigued.

No details yet Otis, nobody knows what "era" it will be set in, or even if it's going to follow the traditional TV "timeline" or that of the recent films. What has upset a few die hard trekkies is the fact it'll be exec produced by the same people who made the recent two films, so many people are up in arm - even though nothing has been announced other than it'll be brand new show starting in 2017.

Only thing confirmed is it'll be mainly on CBS's on-line subscription channel, so you'll have to pay for it (if you're allowed to, I think it will be limited to USA based subscribers?) Dare say a UK broadcaster will pick up the rights at some point - how long that will be don't know - hopefully a freeview channel at some point, like C5 has got the new X-Files series.

Terry Gibson's perm

No details yet Otis, nobody knows what "era" it will be set in, or even if it's going to follow the traditional TV "timeline" or that of the recent films. What has upset a few die hard trekkies is the fact it'll be exec produced by the same people who made the recent two films, so many people are up in arm - even though nothing has been announced other than it'll be brand new show starting in 2017.

Only thing confirmed is it'll be mainly on CBS's on-line subscription channel, so you'll have to pay for it (if you're allowed to, I think it will be limited to USA based subscribers?) Dare say a UK broadcaster will pick up the rights at some point - how long that will be don't know - hopefully a freeview channel at some point, like C5 has got the new X-Files series.

although I am not a trek fan it would be nice to see the bbc trying to get stuff like that rather than wasting millions on lineker and pals and all these crappy Saturday night shows with some z list person falling over on ice/dance floor

Otis

Nobody like Rocky?

No, not me. Just seemed a bit OTT and stagey, espeiclaly when you compare it to the likes of Raging Bull. I'm not at all a fan of Stallone anyway, so that might have some bearing on it though.

For people who do like Rocky, does it maintain high standards throughout the series or does it wane pretty quickly?

Otis

although I am not a trek fan it would be nice to see the bbc trying to get stuff like that rather than wasting millions on lineker and pals and all these crappy Saturday night shows with some z list person falling over on ice/dance floor

Might be nice to see Lineker fall over on the dance floor though.

Pipehitterz

No, not me. Just seemed a bit OTT and stagey, espeiclaly when you compare it to the likes of Raging Bull. I'm not at all a fan of Stallone anyway, so that might have some bearing on it though.

For people who do like Rocky, does it maintain high standards throughout the series or does it wane pretty quickly?

1 and 2 are well written and directed with good storyline and isnt too far fetched
3 and 4 are the hollywood era with interesting storyline development
5 is poor ish cash in, fanboys may like it but it is pretty throw away stuff and adds nothing to the storyline
6 is along the lines of the first 2 with a hollywood sprinkle, that is attoning for the 5th and concludes a story arc

still a very strong 4-5ish out of 6 i would say and very enjoyable fare

Pipehitterz

1 and 2 are well written and directed with good storyline and isnt too far fetched
3 and 4 are the hollywood era with interesting storyline development
5 is poor ish cash in, fanboys may like it but it is pretty throw away stuff and adds nothing to the storyline
6 is along the lines of the first 2 with a hollywood sprinkle, that is attoning for the 5th and concludes a story arc

still a very strong 4-5ish out of 6 i would say and very enjoyable fare

the soundtrack to all are pretty damn good too btw

Users who are viewing this thread