Best City XI of all-time (Left-back) (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

Ok people. Best Left back of all-time please and the decade you started watching the club.

My vote - Stuart Pearce, not contest.
Decade - 80s

shmmeee

It's probably Stuart Pearce, but I never saw him. I take it we can't count Robert Jarni?

Man we've had some shitty left backs.

Probably between Babb and Burrows then unless I'm forgetting someone. Let's say Phil Babb.

90s.

Edit: Changed my mind: Marcus Hall, for the lulz.

Edit again: Forgot Danny Fox! Maybe him.

I dunno, you pick one.

DazzleTommyDazzle

Pearce was a great left back, but he was still pretty raw when he left us.

Working on the basis that the selection is based on how they played for us - so that does rule Jarni out - I'd say it was between Chris Cattlin and Bobby MacDonald.

By the smallest of margins, I'd go for Spider.

P.S. 60's

fernandopartridge

90s, fairly bereft of options here: Erm....

Burrows was functional. Marcus Hall was quite exciting when he first came through. Froggatt looked great for his short spell at LB. Jarni wore sunglasses with great aplomb.

I'll go with Burrows I think.

skybluelee

Pearce was a great left back, but he was still pretty raw when he left us.

Working on the basis that the selection is based on how they played for us - so that does rule Jarni out - I'd say it was between Chris Cattlin and Bobby MacDonald.

By the smallest of margins, I'd go for Spider.

P.S. 60's

Sorry mate, before my time - which one of those two is 'spider'?!

Adge

Stuart Pearce-nailed on! A curve ball if you like, Martin Grainger was on loan early 2004 who was a cut above anything we had since Pearce.
Decade 1980s'.

mechaishida

Hmm, Psycho, Burrows, Hall or Fox...

Never saw Pearce in a Sky Blue shirt, so it has to be Marcus. Burrows was dog shit, Fox was a flash in the pan and I only saw him play a few times.

Hall it is, bleh. 90's

Grendel

I've supported since the 70's and McDonald is my choice.

A modern style full back ahead of his time - great in the tackle as well as creating chances. Left back in the clubs best ever team.

rondog1973

We had Pearce in career ascendancy and Kenny Sansom in descendancy, although I was still impressed by how accomplished he still was.

Don't think Left back was Froggatt's forte. Remember Liverpool winning 3-0 at HR in the late 90's and David Thompson absolutely destroyed him that day.

Dunno really!

Johnnythespider

Stuart Pearce, terrific in the tackle a wand of a left foot and he likes the sex pistols, say no more.
70s

rupert_bear

Out of three for me Chris Cattlin, Bobby MacDonald and Stuart Pearce. Judging on their form for us re Pearce great for us but it was at Forest where he blossomed so for me it is down to Cattlin or Bobby Mac Cattlin definitely the best defender but MacDonald was the better attacker not a bad defender but chipped in goals too so for me Bobby MacDonald edges it

60s

Gazolba

Only saw him on TV, but wasn't Phil Babb (90's) pretty good at his peak? Alan Harris (1960s) was also a very solid LB.

Calista

Chris Cattlin. I agree with Rupert's great summary of the options, but Spider shades it for me.
1960s

67tuck

Oggy, Pearce, Peake, Gillespie, Nilsson, Hutchinson, McAllister, McGrath, Dublin, Keane, Bennett.....Subs Flowers, Davenport, Babb, Boateng, Huckerby.......seems a decent Matchday squad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torchomatic

Mcdonald
70s

67tuck

Keepers Hedman , Kirkland & Westwood good keepers through the decades we've had quality goalkeepers (Blyth..Sealey!!)

letsallsingtogether

Keepers Hedman , Kirkland & Westwood good keepers through the decades we've had quality goalkeepers (Blyth..Sealey!!)

Oggy was still the best kept us up many times.

Users who are viewing this thread