Baka (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

If your plan is to play 1 striker and to get to half time at 0-0 then he's fine to start the odd game because he chases a few lost causes, wins a few balls in the air and isn't too bad at holding the ball up if it's played to his feet. From that point of view he's a cost effective 4th choice and why Robins thinks he had a good game at the weekend - he did exactly what was asked of him.

johnwillomagic

Well exactly Esoterica my main point was that most on this thread seem to be slaughtering him for having a bad game.....he's a boo boy favourite....Robins certainly didn't see it that way.

Playing one up front is a thankless task don't think any of our forwards have exactly looked dangerous or flourished when played up top on their own tbh in open play.....half of Godden's goals come from the penalty spot, Walker's goal was presented to him by the Cardiff defence all be it a good finish.

Think Baka did well on Saturday in difficult circumstances where largely feeding off scraps.

I much prefer two up front but appreciate we are getting points with one up top and until Godden is back will be one up top for the foreseabe future I reckon.....having said all of the above think Walker will start instead of Baka vs Derby.

DannyThomas_1981

Well exactly Esoterica my main point was that most on this thread seem to be slaughtering him for having a bad game.....he's a boo boy favourite....Robins certainly didn't see it that way.

Playing one up front is a thankless task don't think any of our forwards have exactly looked dangerous or flourished when played up top on their own tbh in open play.....half of Godden's goals come from the penalty spot, Walker's goal was presented to him by the Cardiff defence all be it a good finish.

Think Baka did well on Saturday in difficult circumstances where largely feeding off scraps.

I much prefer two up front but appreciate we are getting points with one up top and until Godden is back will be one up top for the foreseabe future I reckon.....having said all of the above think Walker will start instead of Baka vs Derby.

Agree with all of this JohnWillo....

The first rule of SBT is that for some there always has to be a boo boy or a player to be constantly derisory about - something I personally will never fcuking understand as a supporter of the team. And if a boo boy is identified every individual touch/mistake is highlighted to try and prove the point that he should be the boo boy. It's fcuking insane at times.

On a more positive note; a midfield three of Kelly/Hamer with O'Hare in an advanced midfield role behind God/Walker could create some serious damage -with Dabo and Giles surging forward on the wings.

Esoterica

My comment wasn't aimed at you especially @johnwillomagic, just agreeing that the way our whole team is set up, especially first half, is immediately limiting the potential performance of the lone striker. It is intended, by design, to keep it tight until halftime.

It extends to the 2 AMs at the top of the box too. When they receive the ball they have 1 striker, a fellow AM and if they are lucky, one of the WBs or DMs up with them in support. It's 2, maybe 3 players to aim for against a Championship level defence and their defensive midfield(ers).
Here's a visualisation of the set up against Norwich in the first half to demonstrate it:

1606737174351.png

There's a few stand out points:

* The gap between the DMs and AMs is pretty huge - it's easy to see why Norwich had the run of central midfield (617 passed completed for Norwich vs 302 for us) and why the forwards looked toothless 3 vs 6.
* You can also see why our wing backs are vital to attacking and why they impress when they go forwards - they have the whole pitch to run into and it pulls the DMs and full backs wide. Despite the possession difference, we had a mammoth 26 crosses to Norwich's 4 but they were wasted with O'Hare, Allen and a static Bakayoko there.
* With Walker or Godden as 9 you'll get a bit less hold up play but more chance of nicking a goal from a half chance. 2 strikers pulls the 6 and 8 Norwich DMs closer to the CBs and they start to lose their midfield dominance.
* A lot of criticism of Allen but he's there for the same reason as Bakayoko, be annoying, work hard and chase lost causes. It's very hard for our AMs to have a really good 90 minutes. I don't think that makes them bad players, they just don't really have the attributes to thrive in that role under these circumstances.
Shipley needs to be arriving late into the box or making runs beyond the striker but we need possession for that.
Allen isn't big or fast enough to pick the ball up and dribble at or run past players, his best will be playing pass and move football with players around him.
O'Hare has probably looked most effective because he can carry the ball himself and win cheap free kicks. He can't head a cross to save his life though.

For this game, I was happy enough with a point afterwards and would have been delighted with that before the game too but based on the match itself I thought that Norwich team were there for the taking after about 20 minutes. They were weak up front and their fullbacks were getting skinned when our WBs got forwards but we didn't have the right players on the pitch to capitalise with what little we did create, or the ambition to try and win the game early (which I get away from home vs top of the league).
Looking forward to seeing how Robins releases the handbrake against the poorer teams over the next 6 games. Gonna be squeaky bum matches if we approach it the same way and look to nick results in the 2nd half of games.

Last edited:

clint van damme

My comment wasn't aimed at you especially @johnwillomagic, just agreeing that the way our whole team is set up, especially first half, is immediately limiting the potential performance of the lone striker. It is intended, by design, to keep it tight until halftime.

It extends to the 2 AMs at the top of the box too. When they receive the ball they have 1 striker, a fellow AM and if they are lucky, one of the WBs or DMs up with them in support. It's 2, maybe 3 players to aim for against a Championship level defence and their defensive midfield(ers).
Here's a visualisation of the set up against Norwich in the first half to demonstrate it:

View attachment 17673

There's a few stand out points:

* The gap between the DMs and AMs is pretty huge - it's easy to see why Norwich had the run of central midfield (617 passed completed for Norwich vs 302 for us) and why the forwards looked toothless 3 vs 6.
* You can also see why our wing backs are vital to attacking and why they impress when they go forwards - they have the whole pitch to run into and it pulls the DMs and full backs wide. Despite the possession difference, we had a mammoth 26 crosses to Norwich's 4 but they were wasted with O'Hare, Allen and a static Bakayoko there.
* With Walker or Godden as 9 you'll get a bit less hold up play but more chance of nicking a goal from a half chance. 2 strikers pulls the 6 and 8 Norwich DMs closer to the CBs and they start to lose their midfield dominance.
* A lot of criticism of Allen but he's there for the same reason as Bakayoko, be annoying, work hard and chase lost causes. It's very hard for our AMs to have a really good 90 minutes. I don't think that makes them bad players, they just don't really have the attributes to thrive in that role under these circumstances.
Shipley needs to be arriving late into the box or making runs beyond the striker but we need possession for that.
Allen isn't big or fast enough to pick the ball up and dribble at or run past players, his best will be playing pass and move football with players around him.
O'Hare has probably looked most effective because he can carry the ball himself and win cheap free kicks. He can't head a cross to save his life though.

For this game, I was happy enough with a point afterwards and would have been delighted with that before the game too but based on the match itself I thought that Norwich team were there for the taking after about 20 minutes. They were weak up front and their fullbacks were getting skinned when our WBs got forwards but we didn't have the right players on the pitch to capitalise with what little we did create, or the ambition to try and win the game early (which I get away from home vs top of the league).
Looking forward to seeing how Robins releases the handbrake against the poorer teams over the next 6 games. Gonna be squeaky bum matches if we approach it the same way and look to nick results in the 2nd half of games.

I may have asked this before but where do you get your stats from?

Esoterica

I may have asked this before but where do you get your stats from?
In this specific case football critic:

Previous seasons this for more team based stats:

But there are more (and probably better) options around now we're back in the Champ.

SleepyGinger

Bakayoko signed as a player who had the raw attributes to become a good striker in our first season in league 1. Biamou was signed as a back up striker in league 2 from non league. They have both been hounded by large portions of our fan base over the years but they have both contributed to getting us where we are today. The rapid rise through the leagues might mean they are out their depth now but they are 2 cheap options as 3rd and 4th choice strikers who work their arse off for the cause and have done OK so far this year when they have had the chance, especially Biamou. It’s like people want 3/4 elite championship strikers for a newly promoted team.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Some of the frothing on here is a bit laughable. It always amazes me the lengths some fans will go to in defending a player they like, or hounding one they don't.

I would never bad mouth one of our players in a stadium, but there is no way Bakayoko is anywhere near good enough for this level, In fact, he isn't consistently good enough for League 1, let alone the Championship.

I'll support him in our colours and want to see him do well, because I want us to do well. The guy is pretty poor though, and I don't think the reaction to him starting as a lone striker on Saturday was uncalled for at all. With certain key players also being on the bench, it is pretty obvious that the Norwich game wasn't taken with the same serious thought process as the Cardiff one.

I always remember my Walsall supporting mate in complete disbelief that he had been sold for a fee. I have seen very little evidence to go back to him and tell him he was wrong for laughing at that.

Magwitch

I think what annoys fans re. Bakayoko is physically he’s a specimen of a centre-forward and occasionally has showed this. I agree on Saturday his roll was to work and annoy their back line but his movement was poor and was easily dealt with. A frustrating player to be honest.

Some of the frothing on here is a bit laughable. It always amazes me the lengths some fans will go to in defending a player they like, or hounding one they don't.

I would never bad mouth one of our players in a stadium, but there is no way Bakayoko is anywhere near good enough for this level, In fact, he isn't consistently good enough for League 1, let alone the Championship.

I'll support him in our colours and want to see him do well, because I want us to do well. The guy is pretty poor though, and I don't think the reaction to him starting as a lone striker on Saturday was uncalled for at all. With certain key players also being on the bench, it is pretty obvious that the Norwich game wasn't taken with the same serious thought process as the Cardiff one.

I always remember my Walsall supporting mate in complete disbelief that he had been sold for a fee. I have seen very little evidence to go back to him and tell him he was wrong for laughing at that.
you can tell your Walsall mate that Baka played as first choice striker on Saturday in the championship away to the top of the table side,he then had a good game and helped his team earn a fantastic point.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Perhaps he could do with a position change because he obviously isn’t a natural finisher and maybe he would be alright in a CAM position as he wouldnt have the pressure to score goals more to pressure the defense and assist them and considering what his workrate can be it could be a decent position swap

stevefloyd

The trouble is with Baka is he doesn't have a footballing brain and as to him being quick why have we never seen any evidence of this on the pitch? For this standard of football he is very poor as he was in league 1

PVA

More praise from Robins for Baka last night.

Saying the changes up front changed the game and that their 'energy was brilliant'.

stupot07

More praise from Robins for Baka last night.

Saying the changes up front changed the game and that their 'energy was brilliant'.
For baka in particular or baka, biamou and Jobello?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread