Back pass! (1 Viewer)

rob9872

Please can someone out there with a coaching badge, explain the merits of the pass-back to the keeper so he can simply put his boot through it?

I understand when under pressure or when you're already facing that way - taught from a young age play it the way your facing unless you have time …. but on a 'bobbly' pitch with a keeper who we know has issues with kicking, why is our first thought always a negative one? We need to be braver on the ball and even if it's a hoof, surely a hoof from where the defenders are than the keeper is with less risk being further up the field.

I know we won last night, but this isn't result orientated, it's a trait creeping in more and more, between that and set-pieces (for and against) rapidly becoming our Achilles heel.

Also , footnote: why are some of our fans such twats? One guy who sits behind us (in box125 if you're reading you moron) dislikes Burge, Mason, Shipley, Meyler and Bakayoko in equal measure. Donkey, twat, hopeless some of his favoured outbursts - why do they even go?

rob9872

you have answered your own question, play the way you are facing

But they don't! They turn around and still pass it back to the keeper - that's the point I'm making. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes we don't need to be so negative but still do it. I think it's a lack of confidence in not being the one who gives it away, but that needs coaching out of them (imo of course).

BigadamL

on a better pitch and with a keeper that can use his brain its the ideal thing to do, keep the ball, i do agree that with our keeper its not ideal, if you have the ball they cant score, unless you are Willis, Shipley who have cost us or nearly cost us in the last 5 games

Esoterica

There are lot of reasons but often very circumstantial. In our specific case I've seen a few e.g.

Tactical: Buy your team some time to safely get the team shape back - when we play with a DM and 3 forwards our central midfield options can often be limited. In attack we're quite reliant on our fullbacks getting forward and one of the forwards dropping deeper to boost numbers and contribute to multiple phases of play. If the ball comes back quickly from an attack to our defenders the backpass eats up a few seconds while we get the shape back.

Loss of shape: Our defensive unit is very susceptible to dropping too deep when under pressure - our fullbacks young and inexperienced, Davies is a leader but his slow speed and warrior style naturally pulls him deep and neither WIllis or Hyam seem like natural vocal leaders. This stretches the lines between defense-midfield-attack which seems to happen to us quite regularly and then the ball needs to travel too far for a simple passing forward into an area swamped with opposition's midfield. It also becomes a lot of ground for our players to cover to contribute to multiple phases of play so movement reduces. For me this is quite a big contribution to our disjointed periods of play in games. Our style/formation needs a high back line to work well on the deck otherwise the back pass becomes the only simple option and gets overused.

Communication: Young teams like ours, lacking leaders, don't always communicate as much as they should so often players don't get the calls they need in order to understand what is happening behind them, so players pick the easy/safe option in the split second they get to make the decision.

Vision/Thinking 2 steps ahead: Sometimes the first pass forward is on but players with good football vision will assess what options the receiving player has and turn the pass down due to their lack of options. Someone like Bright or Bayliss you might risk a ball to into a tighter space knowing they are strong at rolling a player but sometimes it can be better to just reset and start again, especially if you are trying to play possession football. Better to go back or sideways and wait for the space to open up more.

Evolution of GK role: Goalkeepers like Allison or Ederson are a new breed when it comes to acting as an 11th outfield player. At our level being comfortable on the ball hasn't filtered down to keepers yet and they often don't think like outfield players. The default attitude is often that the further the ball is from goal, the less likely they are to concede so a safe backpass can often get launched instead of possession retained on the deck.

Just my thoughts on it anyway.

Captain Dart

ccfcway

Also , footnote: why are some of our fans such twats? One guy who sits behind us (in box125 if you're reading you moron) dislikes Burge, Mason, Shipley, Meyler and Bakayoko in equal measure. Donkey, twat, hopeless some of his favoured outbursts - why do they even go?

Read the match thread, happens on here as well

usskyblue

There are lot of reasons but often very circumstantial. In our specific case I've seen a few e.g.

Tactical: Buy your team some time to safely get the team shape back - when we play with a DM and 3 forwards our central midfield options can often be limited. In attack we're quite reliant on our fullbacks getting forward and one of the forwards dropping deeper to boost numbers and contribute to multiple phases of play. If the ball comes back quickly from an attack to our defenders the backpass eats up a few seconds while we get the shape back.

Loss of shape: Our defensive unit is very susceptible to dropping too deep when under pressure - our fullbacks young and inexperienced, Davies is a leader but his slow speed and warrior style naturally pulls him deep and neither WIllis or Hyam seem like natural vocal leaders. This stretches the lines between defense-midfield-attack which seems to happen to us quite regularly and then the ball needs to travel too far for a simple passing forward into an area swamped with opposition's midfield. It also becomes a lot of ground for our players to cover to contribute to multiple phases of play so movement reduces. For me this is quite a big contribution to our disjointed periods of play in games. Our style/formation needs a high back line to work well on the deck otherwise the back pass becomes the only simple option and gets overused.

Communication: Young teams like ours, lacking leaders, don't always communicate as much as they should so often players don't get the calls they need in order to understand what is happening behind them, so players pick the easy/safe option in the split second they get to make the decision.

Vision/Thinking 2 steps ahead: Sometimes the first pass forward is on but players with good football vision will assess what options the receiving player has and turn the pass down due to their lack of options. Someone like Bright or Bayliss you might risk a ball to into a tighter space knowing they are strong at rolling a player but sometimes it can be better to just reset and start again, especially if you are trying to play possession football. Better to go back or sideways and wait for the space to open up more.

Evolution of GK role: Goalkeepers like Allison or Ederson are a new breed when it comes to acting as an 11th outfield player. At our level being comfortable on the ball hasn't filtered down to keepers yet and they often don't think like outfield players. The default attitude is often that the further the ball is from goal, the less likely they are to concede so a safe backpass can often get launched instead of possession retained on the deck.

Just my thoughts on it anyway.

U think too much m8

Users who are viewing this thread