Away games , midfield pairing relative to performance (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Barnsley - SHEAF AND HAMER ( played well)

Blackpool - SHEAF AND HAMER (Played well )

QPR - SHEAF AND HAMER (played well for a solid hour )

Millwall- SHEAF AND HAMER (average performance )

Luton- HAMER AND ALLEN (dreadful)

Blackburn - SHEAF AND KELLY ( as a pairing , not so good )

Preston - HAMER AND KELLY ( poor )

One would assume that our best partnership is sheaf and hamer looking at the evidence

Evo1883

I'm not sure throwing Kelly straight back in and disrupting the mould of the side will turn out to be the correct decision in the long term ..

I undestand my opinion on the midfield pairing is all over the place at times , as its tough , but actually I'm thinking sheaf and hamer is for the good of the team really long term with Allen and Kelly rotating / cover / seeing out games ..

Part of the problem ofcourse is Kelly is the club captain and he'd have to lose that if he was to be a squad player

Esoterica

Robins spoke after the Luton game about needing a different approach away from home. Has anyone identified anything in the 2 games since? Have injuries, illness and suspensions stopped him from doing what he wanted?

Away games have been problematic for us since Robins returned. In L2 we failed to beat the bottom 6 away, scoring once in 6 games. First season back in In L1 we struggled to keep clean sheets away and then subsequently to score enough if we did concede. Even in our promotion season we didn't win away until after Christmas although we were much harder to beat than previously. And I appreciate people will point out 2 promotions in those seasons but it's not a criticism, just an observation of an area I feel we can still do better.

PVA

I think Hamer and Sheaf is the best pairing.

There will be games when Kelly is the right option though.

And there will of course be injuries and suspensions which mean they all get a go. Interesting to see how Eccles fares when he returns too.

robbiethemole

and yet the theory of drawing away games, winning the homes, sees us just behind the curve with 5 points from 7 away games. If we win at Hull, it will even out to 8 points from 8 aways. No need to go radio rental over the form just yet.

JAM See

Barnsley - SHEAF AND HAMER ( played well)

Blackpool - SHEAF AND HAMER (Played well )

QPR - SHEAF AND HAMER (played well for a solid hour )

Millwall- SHEAF AND HAMER (average performance )

Luton- HAMER AND ALLEN (dreadful)

Blackburn - SHEAF AND KELLY ( as a pairing , not so good )

Preston - HAMER AND KELLY ( poor )

One would assume that our best partnership is sheaf and hamer looking at the evidence
To be fair, Blackpool was Sheaf, Hamer and Allen.

It's got to be worth trying three across the middle with one up front again away from home.

Sky Blue Harry H

I'm not sure throwing Kelly straight back in and disrupting the mould of the side will turn out to be the correct decision in the long term ..

I undestand my opinion on the midfield pairing is all over the place at times , as its tough , but actually I'm thinking sheaf and hamer is for the good of the team really long term with Allen and Kelly rotating / cover / seeing out games ..

Part of the problem ofcourse is Kelly is the club captain and he'd have to lose that if he was to be a squad player

If I remember correctly, Derby tend to try and press in the middle of the park, so it will be interesting to see whether he goes with Kelly or Sheaf against Derby (I know it's not an away game) as that may be a key area re: the game's momentum. Think it will be a good game on Saturday. I always feel safer with Kelly in the team, but Sheaf is the future.

fernandopartridge

Robins spoke after the Luton game about needing a different approach away from home. Has anyone identified anything in the 2 games since? Have injuries, illness and suspensions stopped him from doing what he wanted?

Away games have been problematic for us since Robins returned. In L2 we failed to beat the bottom 6 away, scoring once in 6 games. First season back in In L1 we struggled to keep clean sheets away and then subsequently to score enough if we did concede. Even in our promotion season we didn't win away until after Christmas although we were much harder to beat than previously. And I appreciate people will point out 2 promotions in those seasons but it's not a criticism, just an observation of an area I feel we can still do better.
It's strange because in his first spell with us I'm sure we were better away than home

Evo1883

Personally I put that down at least partly to the Ricoh being a total morgue for home games
Probably something in that, but to be honest our away support this season is often more vocal than the home support . They are backed like never before on the pitch

COV

Probably something in that, but to be honest our away support this season is often more vocal than the home support . They are backed like never before on the pitch

Also it doesn’t explain why we were so good at St Andrews.. apart from that was ‘exceptional circumstances’ maybe and had almost an away game feel to it

I think it was part of it, the Ricoh had become a kind of cursed ground at that point with a few thousand disgruntled fans dotted around, whereas even then the away support was pretty good

SlowerThanPlatt

We won 5 in a row I think it was. Big wins at Hartlepool and Donny, McGoldrick chipped goal at Stevenage and the 3-2 first visit to MK

Evo1883

We won 5 in a row I think it was. Big wins at Hartlepool and Donny, McGoldrick chipped goal at Stevenage and the 3-2 first visit to MK

We also went 7 wins 1 draw away from home from the 8 after Wycombe in the league 1 promotion season

To be fair our away form under Robins was mostly poor last season only, but OK over the seasons previous to that

Evo1883

Away form under Robins

17/18 Screenshot_20211021-214932_Chrome.jpg

18/19 Screenshot_20211021-214833_Chrome.jpg
19/20 Screenshot_20211021-214857_Chrome.jpg
20/21 Screenshot_20211021-215622_Chrome.jpg

We've always been pretty good away under Robins, apart from last season where we were one of the favourites for the drop so more understandable

Robins home form is really quite good at coventry tbh , losing 20 games total from 86 matches in those 4 full seasons . Winning 43 and drawing 23 .. 152 points from 258 available

Add this season on he's won 49 and lost just 20 in 92 matches since the start of league 2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread