As there are only Thorn threads on the go at the moment .... (1 Viewer)

Otis

Thought it only fair to start one about the players today. They all need to take a look in the mirror at themselves.

Today was like a cup final and they just weren't up for it.

Poor show. Don't think anyone could say they had a really good game, apart from Joe Murphy.

Grendel

Typical though and not surprising. They have been fully motivated on all to few occasions this year and you know as well as I do that defeat away is always the most likely scenario. Thorn has never given a view on why we are so awful on our travels. If we don't address it it's over. Even winning every home game now is not enough.

Otis

Thing is Duffy, if he honestly doesn't know what it is then the only avenue he has is to try and keep changing things until he identifies the problem.

Seems like we keep playing the same way away from home every week and we keep losing and Thorn keeps saying he doesn't know where it's going wrong.

Change it, is the answer. Try something different. Anything.

Last edited:

Grendel

I know what I would change.

ajsccfc

I thought Nimely looked relatively bright, although he does seem a cut above anyway so an average performance for him is still better than most.

Otis

We didn't get the ball to him in dangerous areas.

Baker was particularly wasteful.

Covstu

Let's just try an attacking formation we have shit else to lose at the moment, we won't stay up with draws and loses

Otis

We're down anyway. Convinced of it.

Only way we won't go down is if we pick up points on our travels. 9 defeats in a row on that front points firmly and totally towards relegation.

Grendel

Agreed. The game is up.

Lord_Nampil

The question you have to ask is, Why didn't we turn up today and why weren't we up for the fight? The hole club at the moment has this dark cloud over it and until it lifts we will be in limbo in which direction we are heading!

As for the players today i only think Murphy played well and really kept us in the game! Everyone else needs to look in the mirror and ask them selfs the simple questions, Do i believe in what im told before the match? Am i up for the fight to keep this club in the league???

If both are no we have a massive problem!

Brighton Sky Blue

It is difficult even in the context of SISU to defend this absolutely atrocious away form. I will stand up for AT in certain places, but it's this that is sending us down as it stands-nobody can use SISU or others as an excuse. 3 points from 48 is pathetic.

Grendel

Indeed and yet our home form is now relatively acceptable.

Paxman II

Guys I have to disagree. We seemed to play quite well and certainly kept the ball, played it around and added to Forest terrible frustration and lack in confidence. We turned up but we forgot how to turn the screw! Eventually we were undone by a pice of good fortune from a long run by an unlikely player (you know how that happens) and seemed to just take our foot off the gas and from what I was watching seemed to lack any idea about how to get forward and put their goal under pressure.

Platt was not working and we kept thumping balls up to him because Thorn thought this would work? Our crossing was poor and we simply gave Forest the game.

Grendel

We have lost 9 away games in a row says it all. Just spoke to a forest fan who says having heard thorns interview that even cotterill sounds more enthusiastic. A joke.

Colonel Mustard

We need to switch gears.

The time for defence and contrived passing has gone. The only way to get out of this mess is to score goals, lots of them. Even one win v three losses still gives us a higher points-per-game average than we have right now.

All or nothing, charging from midfield, tons of shots on goal. Hell, that should be AT's no.1 stipulation to the team: make sure you have at least 25 shots on goal each game or whatever.

Otis

We do have people in the team with a good shot on themfrom a reasonable distance. McSheffrey, Norwood, Bigi, Thomas, Baker, Nimely, Bell.

Time to start taking pots hots and trying to hit teams from the off. We looked like we were just consolidating today and trying not to lose with the hope of snatching the game later on, whereas in that first half Forest were ripe for the taking.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I agree that Spud Murphy had a good game (from what I could follow on the live stream), but I always remember what that great manager Brian Clough once said - "If your goalie gets Man of the Match, then the rest of the defence deserve a bollocking! The ball shouldn't be getting past them so much for him to keep making saves!" Wise words indeed! (Especially in the last 10 minutes of every bloody game!)

Otis

I do recall some fans bemoaning the fact that we were unlucky against Reading as the Reading keeper had a really good game against us. Well that's his job. By the same token we don't say we are lucky when Murphy pulls off saves to keep us in the game.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We do have people in the team with a good shot on themfrom a reasonable distance. McSheffrey, Norwood, Bigi, Thomas, Baker, Nimely, Bell.

Time to start taking pots hots and trying to hit teams from the off. We looked like we were just consolidating today and trying not to lose with the hope of snatching the game later on, whereas in that first half Forest were ripe for the taking.
There is little more frustrating though than a player getting into a good position only to sky the ball or to try shots from ridiculous positions. Out of those players listed I would say only Bell has a good long shot, Mcsheff gets about 1 in 10 long shots on target, Baker usually hits the target but lacks conviction or power in the shots. The rest I don't think I have ever seen take a shot from outside the 18 yard box.
We do need to take more risks when attacking though, we need midfielder breaking forward into the box. We need the wingers to be drifting into goalscoring positions when we attack.
The biggest disappointment for me today was the abysmal crossing, between Sheff, Baker, Christie and Clarke we had about 1 good cross from about 30 deliveries.

Otis

The crossing was embarrassing.

We all know David Bell can cross a ball. Trouble is it's one good cross for every 5 poor ones.

Norwood apparently has a good shot on him and so too Bigi by all accounts.

We need to try something. Their keeper didn't have to make a save today.

@richh87

I thought Norwood was really good today - and Keogh as usual.

Jordan Clarke was shit defensively - partly because he had McSheffrey in front of him.

It's SISU'S fault we have shit players. Even a little bit of money and Thorn could strengthen significantly. He's great at spotting players.

SkyBlue_Bear83

The crossing was embarrassing.

We all know David Bell can cross a ball. Trouble is it's one good cross for every 5 poor ones.

Norwood apparently has a good shot on him and so too Bigi by all accounts.

We need to try something. Their keeper didn't have to make a save today.
Yea, I agree we definitely need to be trying to more shots but not from ridiculous positions and angles where it will be a 1 in a 100 chance of scoring.

Otis

No, agree with that. We do dwell on the ball at times though when there's a chance of a shot.

Grendel

It's SISU'S fault we have shit players. Even a little bit of money and Thorn could strengthen significantly. He's great at spotting players.

Doesn't mean he is a good manager.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Read this on the forest board
agreed first half was dire and if cov had gone ahead from that thumping blaster from that wwe built centre foward of theirs we may have imploded.....still with football being full of surprises we were a revelation 2nd half even greening got stuck in !
lmfao :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Colonel Mustard

Yea, I agree we definitely need to be trying to more shots but not from ridiculous positions and angles where it will be a 1 in a 100 chance of scoring.

That's a given, but you shouldn't be trying to walk the ball into the net either. Taking a lot of shots at goal has more benefits than just hoping to score - you increase the tempo of the game, develop a sense of dominance that can demoralise the other team, get the fans going, have strikers poke in rebounds, more corners from deflections etc.

SkyBlue_Bear83

That's a given, but you shouldn't be trying to walk the ball into the net either. Taking a lot of shots at goal has more benefits than just hoping to score - you increase the tempo of the game, develop a sense of dominance that can demoralise the other team, get the fans going, have strikers poke in rebounds, more corners from deflections etc.
Yea but on countless times this season I have seen Mcsheff and other team members take speculative pot shots and it has the exact opposite effect with fans getting on the teams back about it.

Users who are viewing this thread