Arsenal Away should be a good sign of progress (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

Last time we went there we got whacked 6-1, and that was no disgrace against a team like that.

Hopefully the score will be a bit closer this time. Or maybe we'll do the 'let them score first and come from behind to win' trick we've become so good at. :D

The CableGuy

last time we played them we lost hard

But the spirit in the team is far better now I suspect. Wasn't Robins in charge of the team that lost 6-1 away? It will be interesting to see if Pressley can do better, relatively speaking.

Of course, Arsenal are a better team now then they were then.

And ccfc92 is right, few Premier League defences can live with the pace of Theo Walcott. We weren't disgraced the last time we were there. And we won't be this time against a team currently top of the Premier League table.

Last edited:

Specs WT-R75

I think because we don't have a home it is illegal for us to get a "home" draw in any cup competition any more :) Lies, damn lies and statistics :)

oscillatewildly

I don't profess to being a master tactician, but just a word of warning - Defenders, don't feel as if you'll be able to dwell with the ball on the halfway line and not be pressured. There are a few other aspects of their game we may need to look at.

covboy9

we wont lose 6-1, we were in a terrible run when we went there last year, it turned our season around

mrtrench

I don't profess to being a master tactician, but just a word of warning - Defenders, don't feel as if you'll be able to dwell with the ball on the halfway line and not be pressured. There are a few other aspects of their game we may need to look at.

Thanks - good catch. The defenders could have easily had a plan to dwell on the ball on the halfway line otherwise. I expect that they saw the way that Rosicky robbed Rose in the Spurs tie and noted that this was unlikely to ever happen again and hence dwelling on the ball would be just the ticket for the game plan.

'll make sure the defenders are told.

oscillatewildly

Thanks - good catch. The defenders could have easily had a plan to dwell on the ball on the halfway line otherwise. I expect that they saw the way that Rosicky robbed Rose in the Spurs tie and noted that this was unlikely to ever happen again and hence dwelling on the ball would be just the ticket for the game plan.

'll make sure the defenders are told.
Like I said, there are a few other aspects to their game we may need to look at also.:facepalm:

mrtrench

My advice to the wingers: run fast and dodge people. Then put in an inch perfect cross onto the head of one of our attackers in the box.

And for attackers, my advice is simple: score goals!

What with this plus the other tactics already mentioned about not dwelling on the ball, I cannot see how we could possibly lose.

covboy9

CoventryCity: Murphy, Clarke, Wood, Brown, Reckord, Bailey, Baker (c), McSheffrey, Barton, Moussa (Fleck 60), Elliott (Ball 69)

the side from last time at arsenal

M&B Stand

Budgeting for that game should mean money to strengthen the squad at league 1 level.

Result: Stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey.

Will be on TV.

The CableGuy

CoventryCity: Murphy, Clarke, Wood, Brown, Reckord, Bailey, Baker (c), McSheffrey, Barton, Moussa (Fleck 60), Elliott (Ball 69)

Cheers for that. :)

The only player we may have missed since then is Bailey, who looked useful before losing form and returning to Derby. And of course Wood whose current wages we couldn't afford.

Plenty of talk on other forums about this game being a good contender for TV, in part due to the rest of the draw being so crap.

hill83

Couldn't disagree more. They could smash us 10-0 or we could sneak a 3-0 loss. Nothing to do with progress IMO. Whatever the results is, is what it is.

The CableGuy

Couldn't disagree more. They could smash us 10-0 or we could sneak a 3-0 loss. Nothing to do with progress IMO. Whatever the results is, is what it is.

I just see it as a yardstick, where we are now compared to what we were back then. If we win, great, if we don't I'm not going to lose sleep, the league is far more important.

All things considered I'd rather have taken 3 points vs Oldham then beat Arsenal.

hill83

I just see it as a yardstick, where we are now compared to what we were back then. If we win, great, if we don't I'm not going to lose sleep, the league is far more important.

All things considered I'd rather have taken 3 points vs Oldham then beat Arsenal.

Agreed. League is more important than anything else.

Hobo

This will be a very hard game for our players. Treat it as a day out, our own cup final.

League and those elusive play offs are our target.

Speedies_Chips

Not sure why people think this will be on TV. Top of Prem at home to league 1 is about as much of a mis-match as you can get. Apart from Arsenal and Cov fans, who would watch it?
Just the way I see it without my sky blue specs on.

RoboCCFC90

Comparing it to the probable team this time: Murphy, Christie, Seaborne, Webster (Potentially Jordan Clarke to live with the pace they have up top), Adams, Baker, Fleck, Thomas, Moussa, Leon, X*

* We don't know how long Callum will be out but also I doubt the Slag will play against Arsenal, baring in mind we have a good two weeks to get something sorted it means we could have another striker in the building, I hope we get a bit of luck and Callum is not as bad as feared but can't see it.

The CableGuy

Not sure why people think this will be on TV. Top of Prem at home to league 1 is about as much of a mis-match as you can get. Apart from Arsenal and Cov fans, who would watch it?

According to other forums, its all about the ratings. Arsenal vs City will get more viewers then most of the other games (excluding games involving the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea etc). For TV, this draw on the whole is crap, there's not one stand-out game in it.

RoboCCFC90

Some might see the way we are playing as a good viewing prospect coming up against Arsenal..

exhallskyblue

Comparing it to the probable team this time: Murphy, Christie, Seaborne, Webster (Potentially Jordan Clarke to live with the pace they have up top), Adams, Baker, Fleck, Thomas, Moussa, Leon, X*

* We don't know how long Callum will be out but also I doubt the Slag will play against Arsenal, baring in mind we have a good two weeks to get something sorted it means we could have another striker in the building, I hope we get a bit of luck and Callum is not as bad as feared but can't see it.

Callum is having shoulder surgery and will be out for 8 weeks minimum

Gint11

This cup tie is nothing more than a day out for us and some money to the club. It will be a learning experience for the lads.

Speedies_Chips

According to other forums, its all about the ratings. Arsenal vs City will get more viewers then most of the other games (excluding games involving the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea etc). For TV, this draw on the whole is crap, there's not one stand-out game in it.

I take your point there Cableguy. Any TV game featuring Arsenal will draw a fair sized audience I suppose. And ITV are in the business of selling advertising slots.

stupot07

This cup tie is nothing more than a day out for us and some money to the club. It will be a learning experience for the lads.

Agree, I don't think the result will tell us anything. We certainly won't beat them with our defence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Sky Blue Harry H

What might be interesting - is that I think Wenger will play about 4 regulars plus keeper - the rest all fringe players, as they have C League, top of prem to consider - so I think he may put out a team that gives us a (small) chance of doing them with a rub of the green. Alternatively, the same bunch of kids may perform like the Harlem Globetrotters if they get the wind in their sails. Either way, we're unlikely to make the final, so let's hope we enjoy the day either way - extra dosh may help us keep / buy a player ?!

Users who are viewing this thread