Are we happy (1 Viewer)

the rumpo kid

With the fourth place at Christmas? Are we poised for an on slaught into the new year and win automatic promotion ? Or will it be another disastrous second half to the season ? What do you see happening?

RoboCCFC90

Personally I wanted to be up there come Christmas, my expectation has been met and therefore I’m happy.

You’d argue from some of our performances the best is yet to come.

We need a striker who can score goals, that will push us on and hopefully we can have a strong second half of the season.

clint van damme

would have took it at the start of the season but given we've beaten everyone else in the top 6 it's a little disappointing to have dropped so many points against the bottom teams.

Liquid Gold

It's been an up and down season but if you asked me in August would I be happy 1 point from autos at christmas I'd have snapped your hand off.

Paul Anthony

I said in a conversation with my Grandad in August that the priority for the first half of the season was to stay in touch. We have kept ourselves in touch, so happy in that regard.

Have to be a little disappointed though because we could have been in an even better position, but for some shocking results against teams we really have to be putting to the sword.

In my opinion we can't afford our usual second half of the season. I'm worried if we don't get up this year we'll end up in the same cycle of slipping down the table. But overall I think we have to be happy with our league position. We're in the fight. We just have to make sure we stay there.

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

Positives.

1) 4th, 1 point behind automatics.
2) Best defence in the league.
3) Starting to score goals, particularly McNulty/Nazon.
4) Now showing we can win /create/score goals without Jodi Jones.
5) Youngsters coming through has been huge bonus. Shipley and Bayliss in particular. Filled in and stepped up.
6) Good squad strength in depth particularly in defence. Davies/Hyam/Haynes
7) Beaten everyone in top 8 bar Accrington. The big teams.
8) We are still trying to play good football and not hoofing it like most teams in this league.
9) Imminent arrival of 2/3 players to freshen up squad.
10) Liam Kelly is back in 1/2 weeks Max,

There’s still lots and lots to improve on, but like to keep it positive.So here’s to an exciting second half of the season!

christonabike

Very happy we have stuttered along and are in the mix.
Plus treated myself to a new car.
(Well new to me anyway!)

lifeskyblue

Reasonably happy. Getting into automatics a must. If we have a good transfer window and push on with Kelly back and scoring a few more goals all will be well.
My only fear is the traditional ccfc new year slump. Anything less than promotion this year would be a complete and utter failure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyBlueSid

It may be a good position, but at the same time we are only one win ahead of 11th place too. So what is needed in the new year is consistency, a quality that City have lacked for as long as I can remember. It is a very close league with little between most of the teams, which explains how anyone seems to be able to beat (or lose to) anyone else. A poor run would see us drop into mid-table quite quickly. The odd defeat is inevitable, but a run of 5 or 6 without a win would be quite damaging.

Yes, we need more goals. But the key may be to continue having a solid defence, so a settled back four will help, whilst a crop of injuries to key defenders could be costly. There is little quality in this division so it is ultimately about keeping going and collecting points regularly - especially against the lower teams from now on.

Sick Boy

1 point off automatic promotion at Christmas is very encouraging and I expect us to cement our place in the top 3 over the next couple of months.

It's ridiculous that some have been trying to write us off for a while and slagging off players who are very effective at this level, like McNulty.

Esoterica

I'm happy to still be in touch with the automatics and definitely would have taken 4th, 1 point off the autos at the start of the season. I am still left wondering what could have been during the first half of the season though - this league is woeful but we played with a fundamental flaw through the middle of the team until Stevenage when an injury to Kelly/Jones forced a rethink and our record against the bottom 6 is atrocious W1 D2 L3. GF 1 GA 5. My gut feeling with this squad is that we should be 8 to 10 points ahead of where we are now and running Luton hard for 1st place. We're going to have to have a very good 2nd half of the season to claim automatic promotion, something we rarely do and we have a very tough run of fixtures in late Jan-Feb. Overall I'd say cautiously optimistic and I agree with all of Londonccfc's positives.

Suffolk sky blues

Im delighted I think we have only played well in about a third of the games 2 or 3 players I can see us winning the league.plus the take over will be a huge relief.

Otis

Too right I am happy.

We are 1 point off a promotion place and I think you are yet to see the best of us.

Needs the right tweaks in the window and we could be bombing!

Need at least one wide player and a replacement for Nazon if he goes.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Till these last 2 home games I have been a pessimist but the way we have been prepared to battle has filled me with optimism you have to play your football and accept no intimidation Bayliss is a great example

Mcbean

So in all fellow SBA - Happy Xmas then - would be thremendous if we could come out of the break with 9 more points

dongonzalos

With the fourth place at Christmas? Are we poised for an on slaught into the new year and win automatic promotion ? Or will it be another disastrous second half to the season ? What do you see happening?

Depends on the loan signings.
Fingers crossed they are ones who have an impact and not duds
Much prefer us scoring goals and creating chances at the expense of conceding goals though.
Keeping a mean defence but never scoring would only have got us the play offs if we were really lucky.
This approach is more likely to give us a chance of the automatics.
Will be interesting to see what he dues when Kelly comes back.

fatso

Reasonably happy, that despite our usual inconsistency, we are still in the mix.
But everything now hinges on the transfer window. Get the recruitment right and it’s full steam ahead for automatic promotion.

steve82

Plenty to be happy about, id actually take our stuttering form till mid February and then hit 5th gear for the final run in.

That's where it's won and lost, plenty of if bits and maybes but one is we've got no January sales to fear this year to derail us. We've depth within the squad in 2/3rds of the pitch and irons in the fire to bolster the attacking play.

Plenty to smile about

AFCCOVENTRY

As long as Robins doesn't do a 'Mowbray' after Christmas with an in form team and near the top then we should be good for 3rd at the end of the season.

We have that Reading kid coming in who is highly rated, possibly Baker if he proves his fitness and hopefully another goal scorer to come in.

Negative is that it's the Jan window and will anyone come in for any of our players that are regulars. If so we need to make sure we have a like for like replacement lined up.

better days

Definitely happy
Interesting that Reading insisted that Josh Barrett signed a contract extension before they agreed to loan him to us
That's normally a very good indicator of how a club rates a player going out on loan

NortonSkyBlue

It's a marathon so fairly happy with our position but my god it is never easy supporting Coventry City and the mood swings from Morecombe to Wycombe reflects the season so far.

steve cooper

Got to be happy with where we are now, considering the injuries we have suffered to 3 very influential players. When Jodie got injured I was thinking that somehow we need to stay in contention until the window opens and hope we can do some good business, but our last 2 results have been great and yesterdays results also helped. Most of the bookies have Luton, Notts C, and us as favourites for autos at the moment.

covcity4life

Considering we have had season ending injuries to argubly our 2 most creative players i would say 4th and 1 pt of autos is great news

With new additiona to plug the gaps we can really kcik on in 2018 ans make it 2 seasons in a row where cov fans can finnaly celebrate success

oscillatewildly

Surely to god, we are due to buck the trend? I've often been accused of being 'pessimistic' when in fact I've only ever been 'realistic' but some people take a lot of convincing.
We've had a mixed bag of performances in this first half of the season but to find ourselves fourth and just a point from auto's is the stuff of hand snatching opportunity had it been suggested back in August.
My 'realism', therefore say's that we will deffo be 'there' in one form or another come next May.

the rumpo kid

Looking at replies I think most are content , in a reserved manor . we would have all like
us to be Luton's position , but , I, can see us pushing on strongly from this point and either winning the division or being a close runner up. Luton's goal difference is massive at the moment. But it look like there's confidant in the squad , and with an unload of a few surplus, and an addition of a few others , I'm looking forward to the second half of the season. PUSB.

Adge

I thought with the players retained,ie the halfwits of last season’s farce, combined with the unknowns signed that we wouldn’t be as in touch as we are. Here’s hoping that we “buck the trend” come May.
I’d still take the playoffs now if it was offered.

Hobo

We are doing ok but we are inconsistent. We have been unlucky to have lost two of our key creative players for the rest of the season.

We are still in touch but need the addition of two or three players. Not sure who they are or what sort of budget is left if any.

I certainly didn't think we would be walking away with this league so about where I expected us to be.

Otis

Not today I'm not.

Was convinced we wouldn't lose. Wasn't expecting a win, but thought we could at least get a draw there.

skybluetony176

There’s a few twists and turns in this season yet. It’s all about January at the moment. Not just who comes in but also who goes or maybe to be more precise who goes so others can come in. I feel for MR at the moment he’s got to try and coach a promotion chasing team while ensuring he can hold onto one with the right players coming in not at the expense of the wrong players going out. In part forced by injury, in part by budget and in part by some players just not cutting it or at least not consistently enough to stop us sweating on a playoff place while allowing us to believe automatics are attainable. Difficult 4-6 weeks coming up for the manager and I suspect they’ll either make him or break him.

stevefloyd

As with recent seasons we are hoping for miracles to happen in a transfer window that is renowned for being a poor disappointing window let's hope this one bucks the trend

Evo1883

Not really happy tbh, the reason we still sit 7th is that results have been very kind for us on multiple occasions this season .

Too inconsistent for my liking

The league is poor

Users who are viewing this thread