Are my eyes deceiving me? (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

That won't stop 'em, Ben. If City fans are good at anything then it's moaning and scapegoating. Murphy just made another good save. And we've had some good chances.

Covstu

sorry steve you are talking bollocks, he had to chance against any of those goals, he has made some decent saves but the defense needs shooting tonight not the keeper.

TheHellion

Murphy has been left open far too many times tonight. Ipswich have demonstrated how to finish. They've been good goals. Murphy has made a number of saves, if he hadn't, we'd be looking at 4 or 5 now. Good Job Ipswich have missed a lot of chances as well!

skybluesteve76

He's made a handful of saves this season that any keeper in pro football should make. Including two tonight! In my opinion he never looks like getting anywhere near anything that goes in, and none of em have been worldys apart from maybe Sean scannells at palace. He fumbled at palace to cost us a point. When Dunn came on, on Saturday. He looked big, commanding and made a couple of very good saves. Murphy just doesn't look upto it me.

WillieStanley

I don't know what you guys are seeing but Murphy has been awesome so far... The defense tonight was terrible... in fact... how the hell couldn't we score against IPSWICH???!!!

Platt_The_Donkey

Murphy makes me nervous, but to his defence the back 4 were hopeless today, needs changing for Reading . Also, Connor Thomas has to be given a chance, Sheff is as slow as Andy Thorn.

im-confused

The defence was definitely the problem. I've said since the start of the season that we still need one big tough centre back, but every time I made the comment people just laughed. "we have 6 of them to choose from" blah blah blah

Still feel the same?

Adam Jones

The defence were poor tonight. Very poor. Ipswich were very good going forward, too: threatening from wide positions, imposing in the air, good movement in the channels, good pace - everything a manager could ask for at this level. Ultimately, though, the Murphy issue runs a lot deeper than tonight, and I think that all of the above points have been made abundantly clear by everyone who has questioned him, so let's put it to one side. I'm sure we can also all agree that it's great that so many people are quick to defend him. However, the overarching issue is that he isn't goalkeeper of any quality whatsoever. At no point this season has he offered anything like a Championship-level contribution. He doesn't read the game, he is almost completely unable to position himself against shots from any distance, he finds if impossible to hold on to the simplest of efforts, he never, ever comes for crosses, his distribution is nothing better than average, he looks horrendously exposed every time a striker gets near to the box, and he far too frequently finds himself completely stranded. The two saves he made tonight that people are referring to as good saves were completely routine stops from efforts afforded by a combination of defenders being slow to close down or cover, and and Murphy being astonishingly out of position. There isn't a goalkeeper in the football league that wouldn't have been completely humiliated and demoralised had they failed to deal with them. What concerns me most of all is that a full-stretch dive for Murphy seems to encompass falling about half a yard to either side, and there are efforts beating him quite comfortably that are in almost every good goalkeeper's comfort zone. He frequently miscontrols with the ball at his feet, as he did tonight, he has absolutely no command of his area... I could go on all night. He is woeful. I have no idea what people are seeing in his performances that reassures them, but they seem to be the very same people that argue we don't need players like Turner because we don't have problems defensively. True enough that we don't lack defenders, but we've ridden our luck at the back far too many times this season, and we've had players over-perform in that back-four just to be able to manage that. I agree that there are bigger concerns than our back line, and ultimately we have looked convincing at times against opposition we should have been outclassed by in that part of the pitch, but Murphy has been a weak link in more or less every single game he's played. I'm aware that Murphy was well liked at Scunthorpe, and I'm also aware that he made it into the League One Team of the Season on two separate occasions, never mind been twice capped by Ireland; he should be a goalkeeper that is able to perform to a more than adequate standard to resist this kind of criticism, but the simple fact is that he hasn't. One and a half clean sheets out of eight isn't a good record. Given some of the goals he's conceded (at Palace, for example), it's an abysmal record. Could we afford better? No. Do we have better? Probably not. Does that make Murphy a good goalkeeper? No. He's dreadful. The one thing that makes me thoroughly dislike him isn't his inability, though: it's his on-pitch demeanour with his defenders, who have to a man outperformed him in every game this season. He is extraordinarily vocally critical of young players like Hussey and Christie, and whilst they are bound to make mistakes, that's no way to communicate with defenders that have to work a double-shift to compensate for him. I regret him coming to the club enormously. I'm consistently surprised that not everyone is.

wingy

The defence was definitely the problem. I've said since the start of the season that we still need one big tough centre back, but every time I made the comment people just laughed. "we have 6 of them to choose from" blah blah blah

Still feel the same?
Like Ben Turner for instance?

Gaz

I must admit that I don't have a problem with Murphy

He's a good keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread