Any vegans ? (1 Viewer)

Terry_dactyl

Based on this, my missus bought a pack of Richmond ones yesterday and we tried them last night.
I have to say I didn’t like them, and they certainly didn't taste like meat sausages to me. A somewhat strange taste and texture, I thought.
Just my opinion though, and if they hit the spot for you, all's good.
Sorry! Tbh I was teased on to the cheap meat Richmonds sausages by my mrs. I don’t think the vegan ones taste much different to them…but as others say above that’s possibly cos they ain’t the best anyway…and my taste buds have been warped over the years.

Kneeza

Sorry! Tbh I was teased on to the cheap meat Richmonds sausages by my mrs. I don’t think the vegan ones taste much different to them…but as others say above that’s possibly cos they ain’t the best anyway…and my taste buds have been warped over the years.
Oh, trust me, the Richmond 'meat' (Ear, Nose, & Throat more like) ones are no better!

stay_up_skyblues

Bought some Gourmet Garden “mince” to try in a chilli. Agreed with the missile we will stick with it over proper mince if it’s decent.

skybluetony176

Feel bloated as fuck.
It passes (no pun intended). I noticed when I went plant based my poo went super shiny, slipped out easily and always a clean break which is useful when you’re inflicted with as much body hair as me. Anyhow, the point I’m making is that after about 4 weeks my body adjusted and I stopped feeling bloated and my poo unfortunately returned to how it was before. TMI I know and apologise to everyone.

oscillatewildly

It passes (no pun intended). I noticed when I went plant based my poo went super shiny, slipped out easily and always a clean break which is useful when you’re inflicted with as much body hair as me. Anyhow, the point I’m making is that after about 4 weeks my body adjusted and I stopped feeling bloated and my poo unfortunately returned to how it was before. TMI I know and apologise to everyone.
tony admitting he no longer gives a shiny shit.

Nick

Administrator
I had the same when I went keto.

Sick Boy

I am surprised by that. I always think in Italy a lot of meals tend to be more vegetarian?
Less meat is eaten in the deep south but they eat more fish. The north and centre is very much meat-oriented - if you go to a restaurant you’re quite limited - if you’re a vegan you’re fucked.

stay_up_skyblues

Bought some Gourmet Garden “mince” to try in a chilli. Agreed with the missile we will stick with it over proper mince if it’s decent.

Chilli ain’t great, tacky and almost a muddy taste to it. In hindsight think I’d have been better off packing it with different types of bean and leaving the meat sub out all together.

Sick Boy

Erm…thanks for that. 🤣🤣🤣

skybluetony176

Chilli ain’t great, tacky and almost a muddy taste to it. In hindsight think I’d have been better off packing it with different types of bean and leaving the meat sub out all together.
We came to that conclusion too. The one thing we did find was a good substitute for meat was finely chopped mushrooms. Don’t use them in chilli but often when making lasagna or spaghetti bolognaise. Chestnut mushrooms seem to be the best because of their flavour, it’s almost meaty. Portobello are also pretty good.

Sick Boy

We came to that conclusion too. The one thing we did find was a good substitute for meat was finely chopped mushrooms. Don’t use them in chilli but often when making lasagna or spaghetti bolognaise. Chestnut mushrooms seem to be the best because of their flavour, it’s almost meaty. Portobello are also pretty good.
Porcini are a decent alternative.

It’sabatch87

Try the no meat company quarter pounders from Iceland, I’m not a veggie but do like to try the different brands and I find these are the best tasting. Think they’ve got beetroot in them.
Also like quorn cocktail sausages mmm.

skybluetony176

A few weeks in and finding it really easy now. More strength and endurance and energy in general.
It’s because you’re eating clean protein. There’s a great documentary called Game Changer which goes into this in detail. Worth a watch.

It’s also good for other stuff. I suffered with anxiety for about a decade, still have it a bit but going plant based improved my mental health no end. When I think back I’m actually flabbergasted at how bad it was and how quickly it rescinded when I went plant based.

SBAndy

Forgive me, but what are the main protein sources in a plant-based diet? If you need to be hitting 140g of protein per day that’s a shed load of beans.

Sick Boy

Forgive me, but what are the main protein sources in a plant-based diet? If you need to be hitting 140g of protein per day that’s a shed load of beans.
I supplement with vegan protein powder because I lift weights and box (only occasionally now) - most people won’t need anything close to 140g a day.

SBAndy

I supplement with vegan protein powder because I lift weights and box (only occasionally now) - most people won’t need anything close to 140g a day.

I know most people won’t, but that’s what I’m working to at the moment in the meat-fuelled world! I think 56g is the RDA although that’s pathetically low.

skybluetony176

Things like Soy milk are also high in protein and B12. I get my recommended daily B12 requirements from having cereal (which is also fortified with B12) and Soy milk.

Sick Boy

It’s because you’re eating clean protein. There’s a great documentary called Game Changer which goes into this in detail. Worth a watch.

It’s also good for other stuff. I suffered with anxiety for about a decade, still have it a bit but going plant based improved my mental health no end. When I think back I’m actually flabbergasted at how bad it was and how quickly it rescinded when I went plant based.
I sometimes suffer from bad insomnia and since switching I’ve been sleeping much, much better.

robbiekeane

Vegan protein powder. Tried Huel black edition for a meal replacement? High in protein also.

It's really hard in summary so you need supplements if you're going to be trying to hit bodybuilding macros

robbiekeane

When "Impossible meat" get's approved over here it'll be a game changer. The ground beef/mince meat subsitute is incredible - it really really tastes like the real deal

Terry_dactyl

Just tried a new milk, Sproud. It’s made from peas! I’ve gotta say i thought it was really good…a lot like actual milk.

Otis

I would like to ask (for any ex meat eaters), what does haggis taste like? Just that I bought some vegan haggis and have no idea what to expect.

skyblueinBaku

I would like to ask (for any ex meat eaters), what does haggis taste like? Just that I bought some vegan haggis and have no idea what to expect.
I love the stuff. It's difficult to describe the taste - it's a bit like peppery mince.

Users who are viewing this thread