Another team who has somehow found space to build a new ground in London (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Remarkable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

Yep , but there's so much more free space in London isn't there. :whistle:

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Grendel

What a surprise. Still better to mug a children's charity and get a distressed cheap business.

Classic hedge fund behaviour.

Monners

As a point of trivia; the first ever goal for AFC Wimbledon was scored by Glenn Mulcaire, the News of the World/Sun phone hacker.

Captain Dart

Yep , but there's so much more free space in London isn't there. :whistle:

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

I was just looking at google maps for plough lane and there is a lot of open space round the existing greyhound stadium, mostly cemeterys!

skybluetony176

It's a shame for oval motorsport. Plough lane stadium has been a great place to watch motorsport over the decade's and currently the only motorsport venue in London. I went for the first time in 1989 and always enjoyed watching racing in a fully enclosed stadium. Still, it won't take long to knock the old stadium down, it's already falling down and only a third of the stadium is open for spectating.

Still, fair play to AFC. Pretty much next door to their old Plough lane stadium so they'll definitely be returning home.

chiefdave

Interestingly this new ground for AFC Wimbledon is only 6.5 miles from Wasps traditional Sudbury home. Doesn't seem like Wasps look too hard to find a London ground.

Just realised that its less than 3 miles from their old ground to Wembley. Saracens now play some of their games at Wembley (they also play some at Twickenham), don't see why Wasps couldn't have done the same.

Otis

Interestingly this new ground for AFC Wimbledon is only 6.5 miles from Wasps traditional Sudbury home. Doesn't seem like Wasps look too hard to find a London ground.

Just realised that its less than 3 miles from their old ground to Wembley. Saracens now play some of their games at Wembley (they also play some at Twickenham), don't see why Wasps couldn't have done the same.

Could Wasps not share the ground with Wimbledon?

chiefdave

Don't see why not, there's several top level rugby sides who share with football clubs without having issues. Plus by reamining in London they get the benefit of Twickenham and Wembley games.

I think we can put to bed the idea that Wasps put any serious effort into staying in London.

chiefdave

Or this one, brentfordcommunitystadium.com, less than 1.5 miles from their traditional home.

They should have employed me as a consultant as that's taken about 5 mins on google yet we're supposed to believe they couldn't find anywhere after spending years looking.

mechaishida

All these viable stadiums in the proximity of Wasps' original home turf just shows what a bunch of loathsome vultures they are; business is business I suppose, but their complete disregard for CCFC is sickening.

Terry Gibson's perm

They would have no interest in the ground in Wimbeldon as it is to big for them, if they did move back home how many of their new found fans would travel to watch them?

cloughie

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
What a surprise. Still better to mug a children's charity and get a distressed cheap business.

Oh if only Sisu had have thought of that

Grendel

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Oh if only Sisu had have thought of that

This place would have gone into meltdown. The children! The children!

Oddly when wasps partake in such behaviour it's fine and dandy.

Grendel

italiahorse

Distressed by an amateur hedge fund and nicked by a professional hedge fund.
We could have had it all for less than the cost of a 12,000 seater stadium.
Time to go Tim.

italiahorse

Errr ... Wasps SAID they had no choice.

We will need to wait a few more years to see whether the £2M a year losses pre Ricoh, near miss on administration in 2012 and associated close call on relegation in the same year is better than their current position. :thinking about:

stupot07

We will need to wait a few more years to see whether the £2M a year losses pre Ricoh, near miss on administration in 2012 and associated close call on relegation in the same year is better than their current position. :thinking about:

......now they are £42m in debt.

And isn't this thread more about the fact wasps lied about there being no land in London to built a ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

hutch1972

At the time of the sale, Brian Moore who has a show on talksport told everyone that Saracens rfc had located 3 pieces of land to build on before making a decision to use the one Which they currently play on.
His question was " why didn't Wasps just ask where the other 2 were "

Nick

Administrator
The telegraph could have looked into it couldn't they? Send some fois out to prove them wrong?

stupot07

I think it's clear wasps didn't have the money to build a ground. Much cheaper to buy a distressed arena, move 90 miles and then slap a load of debt on it.

Users who are viewing this thread