Andy Turner's Verdict (1 Viewer)

Glenn Storer

"STORM clouds gathered over the Ricoh Arena and a tempestuous atmosphere turned ugly during a first half overshadowed by violence in the stands as supporters clashed with police and stewards. In scenes reminiscent of the bad old days of the 1980s, City fans reacted to a heavy-handed and seemingly zero tolerance approach to their protests against club owners Sisu.
Lessons had clearly not been learned from the previous home game against Watford, when stewards confiscated a ‘Sisu out’ banner and instantly inflamed the situation. And Saturday’s show of dissent escalated out of control as the men in florescent jackets waded in, resulting in one supporter tumbling down the steps of what used to be affectionately known as the Naughty Corner.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...urner-s-verdict-92746-29405551/#ixzz1XjBSOqsz"

Someone was bound to bring up the 80's.

covlad1986

Why is it that if the likes of Portsmouth or Everton protest that's alright and they get good press reports BUT if us protest we can't do this or do that and if anything goes bad its the CCFC supporters that started it and we was violent.

If it wasn't for us supporters going to the game and supporting the team they wouldn't be in a job.

One match i am going to test them instead of bring anti-Sisu banners in i am going to bring in a CCFC banner in and see if it gets taken of me and if it don't it just proves that its just anti-Sisu banners that you isn't aloud in.

kingharvest

When glanced at Andy Turners report this morning online it made me so mad. I can't believe this guy still has a job. How on earth can you compare saturday to what used to go on in the 70's/80's??? For people that weren't at the game reading that, it gives the entirely wrong impression of what happened.

he's pretty much the reason i pay little or no attention to the CET site, or buy the paper.

oh for the glory days of Adam Dent in the paper and Rob Gurney on the radio

skybluesam66

Saturday was pure police brutality

I am not part of singers corner, and getting too old for any of that, and no matter what the banners said - there was absolutely no justification for the police response,
If I was the guy who got bounced down the stairs - I would be looking for significant compensation from the police - and also the guy in the headlock

I have no time for genuine trouble makers, but until the police decided to start off trouble, there was never going to be anything more, than a few chants - which to be fair - for once created an atmosphere inside the ground

Platt_The_Donkey

The Reading match will be interesting, i expect more of the same unless the Stewards are briefed properly and not instructed by the Orange faced tit and his mob.

This is going to be unpopular....
...but i was honestly appalled by our fans behaviour. If the stewards decide to confiscate a banner or kick someone out, whether justifiable or not, under no circumstance should people sitting in row UU run all the way to row A and start kicking off/mouthing off/pushing/swearing. The decisions already been made, its a million miles away from the correct/sensible approach to take in response.

And although the players should be 100% focused on the game and not be distracted by crowd antics, its only natural for them to glance over. This coincided with when Clingan gave the ball away so had this led to a goal, i hope all those involved would have felt pleased with themselves. By all means boo the stewards, chant at them, but draw the line at violence, intimidation and awful language. In my opinion, disgraceful.

Glenn Storer

This is going to be unpopular....
...but i was honestly appalled by our fans behaviour. If the stewards decide to confiscate a banner or kick someone out, whether justifiable or not, under no circumstance should people sitting in row UU run all the way to row A and start kicking off/mouthing off/pushing/swearing. The decisions already been made, its a million miles away from the correct/sensible approach to take in response.

And although the players should be 100% focused on the game and not be distracted by crowd antics, its only natural for them to glance over. This coincided with when Clingan gave the ball away so had this led to a goal, i hope all those involved would have felt pleased with themselves. By all means boo the stewards, chant at them, but draw the line at violence, intimidation and awful language. In my opinion, disgraceful.

Another chap who hasn't read the facts.

What happened in block 15-15 had NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING to do with the protests. I'll repeat that. Nothing to do with the protests. It occured because a Policeman was asked why he had no identification numbers on and he abused a fan.

And that, is disgusting.

Glenn Storer

When glanced at Andy Turners report this morning online it made me so mad. I can't believe this guy still has a job. How on earth can you compare saturday to what used to go on in the 70's/80's??? For people that weren't at the game reading that, it gives the entirely wrong impression of what happened.

he's pretty much the reason i pay little or no attention to the CET site, or buy the paper.

oh for the glory days of Adam Dent in the paper and Rob Gurney on the radio

It's lazy journalism, it's always second hand news.

Another chap who hasn't read the facts.

What happened in block 15-15 had NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING to do with the protests. I'll repeat that. Nothing to do with the protests. It occured because a Policeman was asked why he had no identification numbers on and he abused a fan.

And that, is disgusting.

Well if that is the case, it changes nothing. The facts are, regardless of officials/stewards decisions, theres nothing more ugly than fans revolt getting viscious and violent. Completely no need for fans to charge the whole way down the block to get involved. I'm NOT agreeing with stewards actions, just think fans need some self control and can be far more constructive in their ways of protest.

Glenn Storer

Well if that is the case, it changes nothing. The facts are, regardless of officials/stewards decisions, theres nothing more ugly than fans revolt getting viscious and violent. Completely no need for fans to charge the whole way down the block to get involved. I'm NOT agreeing with stewards actions, just think fans need some self control and can be far more constructive in their ways of protest.

I'm not agreeing with what the fans did, I've said that in a few posts. I do however find it hard to swallow when someone suggests it's their fault or the stewards. That was Police taking advantage of their status and over-reacting.

Constructive in protest, you raise a good point. But, what can they do? Nine fans were arrested Saturday, before, during and after the game. Some of those were for refusing to hand over banners. What else do they do?

Paint SISU out on their arse and streak?

@richh87

I'm not agreeing with what the fans did, I've said that in a few posts. I do however find it hard to swallow when someone suggests it's their fault or the stewards. That was Police taking advantage of their status and over-reacting.

Constructive in protest, you raise a good point. But, what can they do? Nine fans were arrested Saturday, before, during and after the game. Some of those were for refusing to hand over banners. What else do they do?

Paint SISU out on their arse and streak?

That's not a bad idea actually...

Does anyone know a sky writer? Bet the police would shoot the f*cker down and some people would try to justify their actions.

skybluesam66

When one of our own - for no reason, gets bounced down a stairway by police - at that point, the police have gone too far.

The police were out of control, and at that point the rush down, was really to protect our own
No fan struck a police officer/steward or other supporter - Yet there was considerable violence and provocation from the police

Senior Vick from Alicante

The trouble with this report is that it is written by a journalist who never gives his own opinion and always trys to satisfy the balanced approach regardless of the facts. I was not at the game on Saterday but my 10 and 7 year olds attended with their grandfather. My eldest described the so called violence as not as bad as the wrestling, to compare this to the 80's when I travelled home and away are pathetic and no where near the mark. The trouble back then was mob handed, organised and extremely violent and had nothing to do with trying to exersise a constitutional right to freedom of speach!

BurbageSkyBlues

This is a dangerous crossroads, in my opinion.

The wrong handling of this situation could provoke a backlash far uglier than the events of the last two home games.

The club and authorities have it within their hands to difuse the situation, by allowing sensible and peaceful protests.

On the other hand, further shows of force, construed as dictatorial oppression, could result in much more reaction from normally passive people.

It does create an atmosphere though.......perhaps it's part of the plan....?!

Whatever happened to The Pink newspaper on a Saturday evening? I remember as a kid travelling home to Rugby from Highfield Road, picking up a copy of The Pink and a fish and chip supper. Bloody brilliant

Nonleagueherewecome

Bang on Vick, I couldn't really believe what I was reading this morning. It really was a cop-out piece that failed to tell the story objectively-more like told it a bit subjectively from either side without balancing any arguments, just thrown together bits. And as for the storm clouds analogy...Jesus, we just won our first game of the season in what was a massively positive display of football in front of the liveliest Ricoh crowd in yonks!! If there's something to be negative about I'm usually your man, but I've been absolutely bouncing since Saturday.

WillieStanley

If the 80's was a five minute rough and tumble instigated by 1984 style stewards and heavy handed police officers then he's dead right.

He's a poor sports writer though... I actually prefer Poole!! And he's from... dum dum duuuuum... Liecester!!! :eek:

Nonleagueherewecome

I was gonna say, at least Poole is a cynical old bugger who remembers when football was football. As I move into the "grumpy" phase of life, I find myself enjoying what he writes more and more. I forgave Dent his Wolvesness so I'll let Poole of his Leicesteritis; if anything it makes them better reporters, not supporting the club. Dunno if I extend that to Clive or not..seeing as he's said more than enough on the phone-in now to indicate that he does at the very least browse on here, I don't want him to get offended or egotistical :confused:

how bout having a double sided banner "sisu out" on one side, when the orange bullies come up flip the sign over "we love city", them fatties might of just lost a few pounds running up and down them stairs!

Nonleagueherewecome

I just think 50-60 people bringing banners would be way too much for them to handle. I asked a steward if they'd evict every single fan if they all brought banners, and he said yes! I'd like to see them manage that. It also indicates just how far removed they are for the actual reason they are there-which is, in effect, to work for our safety and protection-not look for a fight and relish confrontation and the chance to chuck fans out.

shmmeee

Was anyone close by?

Got the impression form here that the fans were all innocent and the police went in heavyhanded, but speaking to a guy who was near by he said the guy was abusing the police well before they came over then kept giving them stick.

shmmeee

I just think 50-60 people bringing banners would be way too much for them to handle. I asked a steward if they'd evict every single fan if they all brought banners, and he said yes! I'd like to see them manage that. It also indicates just how far removed they are for the actual reason they are there-which is, in effect, to work for our safety and protection-not look for a fight and relish confrontation and the chance to chuck fans out.

Health & Safety, like Data Protection and Child Protection, is one of those areas of law which scares normally sensible people into making stupid decisions. I have no doubt that whoever gave the order to remove the banners is convinced he's doing it for our safety and just following guidelines. In my experience H&S attracts the most horrible jobsworths.

dilligaf

In scenes reminiscent of the bad old days of the 1980s

Not that old chestnut again.
This was a peaceful protest by supporters pounced upon by Sisu thugs and above the law police.
it was not
The battle of gosford green circa 1982

rob9872

The difference between now and then is CCTV.

If there was no chance they could get people afterwards when they kick doors down at 5.30 am in groups of ten, then a lot more would have joined in because the police (and as a mature sound minded adult I don't say this lightly) were completely and utterly trouble provoking and causing unnecessary distress and disorder. I thought they behaved disgracefully and revelled in the goings on. Maybe it's the rush, maybe they secretly desire a return to the 'good old days' but over the top heavy handed police tactics never has and never will calm the situation down. Thug wielding batons with the law on their side.

pusbccfc

I agree i think that if many people made a effort of bringing a flag or banner then I wonder what they would do?

rob9872

Well I'm bringing one next home game. Tbh I'm not that fussed one way or the other but I do object by anyone hiding behind some pathetic H&S excuse which is clearly bollocks, attempting to tell me what I can or can't think, say or display when it's not offensive.

Anyone doing similar, wear it around your middle under your shirt and then get it out in the ground. I think we keep getting them all out a few at a time.

eastwoodsdustman

Was anyone close by?

Got the impression form here that the fans were all innocent and the police went in heavyhanded, but speaking to a guy who was near by he said the guy was abusing the police well before they came over then kept giving them stick.

I was and I saw meself on the telly. :D. The bloke in question asked a copper why one of them wasnt showing his number. They were 'talking' for a minute or two and the copper, in fairness to him, calmed the situation down. It was then that two other coppers decided to take the matter on themselves and grabbed the bloke to arrest him. Totally uncalled for and heavy handed apporach. It was only when another copper who then got involved accidently knocked someone down the stairs that it all went a bit mad. And standing that close to it all going off did feel like standing waiting for a train in witton in the 80's after visiting Villa Park.
Nothing to do with SISU or any protests t all. Just heavy handed bully boy tactics by a couple of coppers.

torchomatic

SISU OUT underpants?

cloughie

"STORM clouds gathered over the Ricoh Arena and a tempestuous atmosphere turned ugly during a first half overshadowed by violence in the stands as supporters clashed with police and stewards. In scenes reminiscent of the bad old days of the 1980s, City fans reacted to a heavy-handed and seemingly zero tolerance approach to their protests against club owners Sisu.
Lessons had clearly not been learned from the previous home game against Watford, when stewards confiscated a ‘Sisu out’ banner and instantly inflamed the situation. And Saturday’s show of dissent escalated out of control as the men in florescent jackets waded in, resulting in one supporter tumbling down the steps of what used to be affectionately known as the Naughty Corner.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...urner-s-verdict-92746-29405551/#ixzz1XjBSOqsz"

Someone was bound to bring up the 80's.

Another hard hitting piece of " journalism" from the fence sitting turner who I doubt has any personal football crowd experiences of the 80's. Advice for Andy Turner shut up an sit down!

Users who are viewing this thread