An International Football Festival in Coventry (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

I've sent the following to the people of Sydney FC in Australia, who share our Sky Blues nickname. If anyone here has a strong knowledge of Spanish and/or German so I can send a similar version to Celta Vigo and Chemnitzer, who also happen to be the Sky Blues, then please help me out!

'Hi,

I am writing as a supporter of the English football (soccer) club, Coventry City. On the face of it, these two clubs have little in common-except their nickname, The Sky Blues. However, the fortunes of my own Sky Blues have fallen greatly since the time of a former Coventry player well known to most Aussie soccer fans, John Aloisi. The club's owners have proposed to move it from its home city Coventry, which it has been based in for 130 years, to play in a much smaller stadium in a town 30 miles away. I won't go into the extensive detail underlying this but the story has become well covered in the British press:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ity-owners-ground-share-Northampton-Town.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brian-reade-column-coventry-owners-2030672

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...y-fans-threaten-boycott-over-ground-move.html

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...all-league-approve-northampton-ground-4887684

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/04/coventry-city-groundshare-northampton-town

I write to propose to Sydney Football Club, in recognition of the unique piece of common ground our clubs share, to participate in a friendly tournament held in Coventry, at the 32,500 seater stadium, the Ricoh Arena, which the club is intending to leave next season. Sydney FC would not be expected to send a full strength team, but either a representative or supporters' team, and would be competing against a Coventry supporters' team. This would be held in early August and is intended to highlight as strongly as possible the quality of the venue for hosting soccer in Coventry and as a celebration of football in the area in the hope that the club is returned to its home.

I also intend to put similar proposals over the coming days out to other soccer clubs sharing the Sky Blues nickname (Ballymena United of Northern Ireland, UK, Celta Vigo of Spain and Chemnitzer FC of Germany). If the August date is too soon for this to be arranged, it could be just as feasible to organise such a tournament for mid-2014 instead. If successful, the tournament could be repeated in years to follow with different teams having a chance to host it. In the process, a unique link could be created between our clubs and supporters who don sky blue colours.

Aside from purely being a football tournament, this would be one opportunity for soccer fans from across the world to emphatically celebrate the importance of football clubs to their communities. I look forward to your reply and if you require more details on our club and its current circumstances, or on the tournament itself, then please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,
Andy'

pusbccfc

Great idea!!

Hugh Jarse

Great idea!!

No it's not, it's an absolutely nutcase idea.

Can you honestly see Sydney FC sending a team, or even a bunch of supporters all the way from Oz? Does this guy not know how much it costs to get from Oz to the UK? I can't even see the other clubs mentioned being all that interested to be perfectly honest.

Seriously,I think Brightonskyblue needs to sit in the shade a bit more as this is one of the silliest threads ever posted here.

And this is just my opinion, awaiting a good flaming!

Brighton Sky Blue

This could be a friendly tournament, a supporters' tournament-whichever works best for all the clubs. Given that we can hardly field a full strength team anyway I was thinking if our official Supporters' team would be up for it. I might be fine writing to the German club (whose website is absolutely decked in sky blue) but I don't know any Spanish so could use someone's help there :)

Brighton Sky Blue

No it's not, it's an absolutely nutcase idea.

Can you honestly see Sydney FC sending a team, or even a bunch of supporters all the way from Oz? Does this guy not know how much it costs to get from Oz to the UK? I can't even see the other clubs mentioned being all that interested to be perfectly honest.

Seriously,I think Brightonskyblue needs to sit in the shade a bit more as this is one of the silliest threads ever posted here.

And this is just my opinion, awaiting a good flaming!

Agree it's a bit out of left field however honestly what's the harm in trying? With proper organisation it could be done and even if it is too much for the Aussies to come over it's a lot easier for the European ones to do so.

Hugh Jarse

With proper organisation it could be done and even if it is too much for the Aussies to come over it's a lot easier for the European ones to do so.

In my opinion, no-one will be interested, I'm sorry. But hey, I'm quite happy for someone to say to me; nah, nah ne nah nah, after it's been a raging success. I won't be holding my breath on that one though.

Brighton Sky Blue

In my opinion, no-one will be interested, I'm sorry. But hey, I'm quite happy for someone to say to me; nah, nah ne nah nah, after it's been a raging success. I won't be holding my breath on that one though.

People have done whackier things would be my reply-as I said, no harm in trying. If every club says 'Not on your life sonny' then hey ho :)

Greggs

'No it's not, it's an absolutely nutcase idea.'

hahaha, my new sig!

Brighton Sky Blue

Who pays for it?

If a fans' tournament then the costs would be for the pitch and for a trophy. This could be paid for at least in part by small entry fees and on the day activities like a BBQ-wouldn't anticipate it being very much.

Brighton Sky Blue

Users who are viewing this thread