Am I A Hooligan? (1 Viewer)

Malaka

Just back from Charlton with my boys and sat with some Charlton mates in their end. I am 56, my boys 10 and 13. Celebrated our goals after being given shit for most of the game, everyone around me knew we were City fans (no colours). It was OK until we scored . A steward came over after a few minutes telling us we were scaring people and not to celebrate. Don't be ridiculous I say, an old man with two boys scaring people? Of course we scored again, we jumped up and then we had fans saying you should be ashamed of yourselves, one gave it the biggun and was soon put in his place with a growl and then fortunately the game was over before we got kicked out. Why cant mates who support different teams sit together? FFS I am 56 with two young boys FFS

Nick

Administrator
Just back from Charlton with my boys and sat with some Charlton mates in their end. I am 56, my boys 10 and 13. Celebrated our goals after being given shit for most of the game, everyone around me knew we were City fans (no colours). It was OK until we scored . A steward came over after a few minutes telling us we were scaring people and not to celebrate. Don't be ridiculous I say, an old man with two boys scaring people? Of course we scored again, we jumped up and then we had fans saying you should be ashamed of yourselves, one gave it the biggun and was soon put in his place with a growl and then fortunately the game was over before we got kicked out. Why cant mates who support different teams sit together? FFS I am 56 with two young boys FFS
Banning order in the post.

Tommo72

Unfortunately that’s how it is now.

In some grounds it would have been a lot worse.

scubasteve

Its a strange one. I have been to the states to watch NFL on a few occasions. Im a oakland raiders fan and seen them in new york, new orleans, miami and washington. Supported them with my jersey on, had banter with other fans, no issues and no one else really does.( they dont have home and away ends). But for some reason even though being british we can have probably the best banter, be the most friendly and polite. But football makes people so tribal and just cant handle another fan celebrating. I get it but find it weird also.

Otis

Really wouldn't bother me. I have had mates supporting other teams with me at The Ricoh, its a game of football, thats all.
Not everyone thinks like you though, Malaka.

When I had an ST in the main stand at HR you would quite often get some away fans in there and while it didn't bother me so much, many home fans did indeed take umbridge to it.

It's an emotional game and alcohol is also a factor, so you do have people on edge and it can easily get out of hand.

I am calm fella, so I never get too uptight or angry, but a lot do.

clint van damme

were you sat to the left hand side of the City support?

sylus

I remember a certain game in 98, when Viorel moldovan scored the only goal against Villa in the cup of Feb to give us our first ever victory at Villa park,we were sat in the holte end that day in with the home scum,we celebrated when Moldovan scored and the shit we took,it was laughable but enjoyable.God! has that been 20yrs..unreal..

JulianDarbyFTW

I've told this tale before, but I was at Villa Park in the home end with a half-dozen Villa supporting mates. It was the game that Moldovan scored in, and obviously I celebrated. The stewards had to form a ring of protection around me to protect me from the people I'd gone with. I realised at that moment that football, or more rather the tribal elements of it, can change people immeasurably. I also realised that my mates were twats.

scubasteve

Still think small mixed zones should be trialed.
They already do it at Fulham, with no issues. I have sat in the neutral section for a game, its shared with away fans, mixed with home and tourists. I enjoyed it, spoke to both sets of fans, no one had issues celebrating.

Astute

1, You are not an old man. I'm not many years behind you.

2, Why didn't those with you speak up?

I have never had a problem being in the wrong end. But it is the stewards job to keep the peace and keep opposition supporters apart. And many are jobsworths.

If you were not giving out abuse or didn't give anyone a slap you are not a hooligan.

Hobo

Would you like it if away fans sat around you at the Ricoh and jumped up when they scored ??

I wouldnt give a shit. I would say good goal or well worked goal if it was. And yes I have been in those situations. Frosty looks at Everton but some open football convdrsation thawd that. They werent happy in the Holt End but me and my Villa mate were just bantering between the two of us they didnt know what to do. Same at Wolves with a Wolves fan. Dont take the piss and dont rub noses in it and you are normally okay.

sylus

I've told this tale before, but I was at Villa Park in the home end with a half-dozen Villa supporting mates. It was the game that Moldovan scored in, and obviously I celebrated. The stewards had to form a ring of protection around me to protect me from the people I'd gone with. I realised at that moment that football, or more rather the tribal elements of it, can change people immeasurably. I also realised that my mates were twats.

Thing is, i wasn't in there that day with my villa mates, only my son.

Sick Boy

That should have been clear before with them supporting Villa

clint van damme

They already do it at Fulham, with no issues. I have sat in the neutral section for a game, its shared with away fans, mixed with home and tourists. I enjoyed it, spoke to both sets of fans, no one had issues celebrating.

they also had a statue of Michael Jackson outside the ground.

rob9872

It was pay on the gate. Could understand if we sold out but why not just come in our end?

Evo1883

Lol I saw you in the end , rather isolated part of the home end nearer the Coventry fans , seen you celebrating

sylus

It was pay on the gate. Could understand if we sold out but why not just come in our end?

Now bare with me, now i am assuming here that you are talking about the Villa game of 98,it was indeed sold out,the whole of the witton lane and half of the Doug Ellis stand was sold out to skyblues and because of this the game was being shown live to fans at Highfield rd via a live stream. but it was definitely not pay on the gate, if i am wrong..my apologies

clint van damme

Really? Must be shit being in the premier league. And just spent 100 million on players this summer. Your right why would you want to be them.

What on earth are you on about?
You mentioned mixed areas - shit idea in my opinion, from the club that put a Michael Jackson statue in front of their ground, (another shit idea).
Not really sure how the amount of money they have has anything to do with it.

scubasteve

What on earth are you on about?
You mentioned mixed areas - shit idea in my opinion, from the club that put a Michael Jackson statue in front of their ground, (another shit idea).
Not really sure how the amount of money they have has anything to do with it.
You said not a team to follow. They seem to be running their club alright in my opinion. I would have mixed areas and a statue of MJ (even though it was ripped down years ago) at the ricoh for what that they have. If you cant handle a mixed area at football it show your level of maturity.

clint van damme

You said not a team to follow. They seem to be running their club alright in my opinion. I would have mixed areas and a statue of MJ (even though it was ripped down years ago) at the ricoh for what that they have. If you cant handle a mixed area at football it show your level of maturity.

I don't want mixed areas, what's maturity got to do with it?
We haven't had them up until now, why do we need them?

SlowerThanPlatt

Mixed areas work at clubs like Fulham/MK Dons who have very little if any history of disorder at games. It would just never happen or work at other clubs

Users who are viewing this thread