Alan Turing to be on new £50 note (1 Viewer)

Marty

New face of the £50 note is revealed

_107884611_turingnote.jpg

A fine choice, someone who done so much for this country but was shamefully treated at the time.

skybluegnome

I absolutely agree with you...It's given me something to smile about in the dark times we are going through at the moment...

olderskyblue

Visited Bletchley Park a few weeks ago. Really enjoyed it.

Rich

Such a shame that he's on a note that not many of us shall see. A nod to his unseen work maybe?

Mcbean

I nearly posted in things that annoy you but the BOE is already having to defend not putting a person of colour or a women on it - that makes me so angry - Turing was a genius - people getting on their high horse on behalf of others - well don’t include me yer bloody PC ninnies aaaaargh

vow

I nearly posted in things that annoy you but the BOE is already having to defend not putting a person of colour or a women on it - that makes me so angry - Turing was a genius - people getting on their high horse on behalf of others - well don’t include me yer bloody PC ninnies aaaaargh
Agreed, he was gay too, so that will "tick a box". Fantastic genius.

Mcbean

Thing is they picked it as he was a mathematical genius - he was persecuted for being gay but for me that is incidental in this case although tragic - but it’s the attitude of these other moaners they think it’s a right to try and make a decision for others when rationality is alive and well

fellatio_Martinez

Cash will be gone soon. Contactless payments and easy bank transfers will completely kill it off. People are lazy and will always choose the easiest method. I am one of those people.

dutchman

It’s ridiculous in this day and age they are not more frequently available and are still looked at suspiciously.
That applies to any denomination note in my experience. Try to pay by cash and it's assumed it's counterfeit.

Cash will be gone soon. Contactless payments and easy bank transfers will completely kill it off. People are lazy and will always choose the easiest method. I am one of those people.
It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't a £30 limit on contactless payments.

Sick Boy

Over in Italy it’s the complete opposite, even places you’d expect to be respectable are always offering a ‘deal’ if you pay cash as well.

fellatio_Martinez

Over in Italy it’s the complete opposite, even places you’d expect to be respectable are always offering a ‘deal’ if you pay cash as well.

Same goes for any Chinese or Indian restaurant I go into here. They always tell me to order a takeaway directly with them and use cash and they'll give me a good deal. Just Eat and the card companies must be buggering them.

LastGarrison

The fact that coins have not yet been faded out and especially the smaller denominations tells me that cash is here to stay for a little while longer and doubt we’ll see it phased out in our lifetimes.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Which would anyone rather have in their wallet? A or B?
A) twenties.jpg
B)
DC-Classic.png
Personally, I'd rather have 'A'.

fellatio_Martinez

The fact that coins have not yet been faded out and especially the smaller denominations tells me that cash is here to stay for a little while longer and doubt we’ll see it phased out in our lifetimes.

Speak for yourself grandad. By the time I'm 50 people will be using their retinas to pay for things. Bank cards will be phased out too.

You can check back here in 16 years to check if I was right or not.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Assuming there’s cash in the account: B by a mile. Lighter, smaller and if it eats nicked/lost I can cancel it and not lose any cash.
But if you need a shit badly, and nip behind a bush, what will you use to wipe yer arse? A credit card? :emoji_grin:

bringbackrattles

All window cleaners take cash as payment. Been window cleaning 25 years and never been paid by cheque, cash only always. Knocking it on the head next year, but I can never see a time when window cleaners go cashless !

Users who are viewing this thread