Alan Poole's swearing and contempt for readers of the CT (1 Viewer)

I'mARealWizard

I am so outraged by his egocentric comments and attempts to deflect attention away from the fact that he isn't earning his wages that I just had to sign up and make a comment.

No doubt it will be gone soon, but I just had to get it off my chest:

I never respond to these videos, but Alan Poole's attitude towards the readers of the CT is absolutely disgraceful, and has led to me signing up to comment.

His initial response of swearing when questioned (which one would assume he was aware of the coming question after setting up the recording...) shows utter contempt for the readers.

How dare he refer to the readership of the CT in such a disrespectful manner? He is insulting, rude and belittling because of the very genuine questions that WE THE FANS OF CCFC are asking of HIS "journalism".

Cut most of us and you will find our blood running sky blue, and in the longest ongoing darkest moments of our club's history we are crying out for investigative journalism. Not a regurgitation of information passed on to you.

Criticism of your reports (Alan's, Andy's and the CT's in general) over the last few years is completely warranted and justified. You may not agree with the point of view, but you can not ignore the volume of complaints.

To be fair, I didn't last the entire video because I was so incensed by the derogatory attitude that you so animatedly displayed on camera. However, with regard to 'difficult questions' and 'you can't pin someone up against a wall and force them to answer...' I don't recall ever reading someone suggesting you do that.

However, what you SHOULD be doing is ASKING those questions and reporting their responses. "Such-and-such was asked "Given the court documents suggesting that the Golden Share lies in... does this mean that...?" "Mr/Mrs Such-and-such declined to comment" or "Despite being asked about... Mr/Mrs could not give a firm response to the question asked at this moment in time".

We would then have some small confidence that you were placing pressure on people who may allegedly be running what is left of our club into the ground.

However, your (and the CT's) failure to ask those questions or make those calls or follow up leads and INVESTIGATE and print your CONCLUSIONS, leads to absolutely warranted constructive criticism.

To dismiss these views so totally out of hand in defence of your inability to fulfill the criteria of an investigative journalist shows how out of touch both you and your paper are.

CCFC fans are dying inside right now with the continuing saga of courts and appeals and have genuine fears about the longevity of the club, where they will play, who will play for them and ultimately whether there will be a CCFC in the foreseeable future.

I, and many others, kindly request that you start asking questions, digging deeper, and probe into the affairs of those running the club, the administrator and the Football League and their stance.

Please report what you find/hear/discover. We will not be criticizing you for their response. But we most certainly will continue to criticize you for failing to ask what you consider 'difficult questions' in case you happen to make them feel uncomfortable.

It appears that SISU have lost the majority of the fans with their actions lately and currently, their only outlet is via the CT. If you do not begin questioning details that are widely available and causing concern among other fans, your readership will mirror that of the faith and goodwill that was once shown to SISU.

I am more than happy to discuss this further with you should you wish to engage in a positive discussion about our club.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...aph-quiz-city-s-administrator-92746-33260475/

*And breathe.... :D

Nick

Administrator
What do the journos actually do for the CET?

They get free tickets to the games I assume to report on them and then handed statements to release?

TheHellion

I think part of the reason they don't ask difficult questions is because they don't want to end up in the position that the Daily Echo ended up in down Southampton. The club banned them from attending games following a story they ran about the club. Having said that, though, the quality of report available from the CET is generally below par in my opinion. It's a paper I don't waste the money on, because you can read it online anyway. I find the level of journalism sloppy, which only reflects on the quality of the people in charge of it.

torchomatic

FFS, are you really 'outraged'?

Tunbridge Wells or Sydney?

Moff

I am so outraged by his egocentric comments and attempts to deflect attention away from the fact that he isn't earning his wages that I just had to sign up and make a comment.

I never respond to these videos, but Alan Poole's attitude towards the readers of the CT is absolutely disgraceful, and has led to me signing up to comment.

His initial response of swearing when questioned (which one would assume he was aware of the coming question after setting up the recording...) shows utter contempt for the readers.

How dare he refer to the readership of the CT in such a disrespectful manner? He is insulting, rude and belittling because of the very genuine questions that WE THE FANS OF CCFC are asking of HIS "journalism".

Cut most of us and you will find our blood running sky blue, and in the longest ongoing darkest moments of our club's history we are crying out for investigative journalism. Not a regurgitation of information passed on to you.

Criticism of your reports (Alan's, Andy's and the CT's in general) over the last few years is completely warranted and justified. You may not agree with the point of view, but you can not ignore the volume of complaints.

To be fair, I didn't last the entire video because I was so incensed by the derogatory attitude that you so animatedly displayed on camera. However, with regard to 'difficult questions' and 'you can't pin someone up against a wall and force them to answer...' I don't recall ever reading someone suggesting you do that.

However, what you SHOULD be doing is ASKING those questions and reporting their responses. "Such-and-such was asked "Given the court documents suggesting that the Golden Share lies in... does this mean that...?" "Mr/Mrs Such-and-such declined to comment" or "Despite being asked about... Mr/Mrs could not give a firm response to the question asked at this moment in time".

We would then have some small confidence that you were placing pressure on people who may allegedly be running what is left of our club into the ground.

However, your (and the CT's) failure to ask those questions or make those calls or follow up leads and INVESTIGATE and print your CONCLUSIONS, leads to absolutely warranted constructive criticism.

To dismiss these views so totally out of hand in defence of your inability to fulfill the criteria of an investigative journalist shows how out of touch both you and your paper are.

CCFC fans are dying inside right now with the continuing saga of courts and appeals and have genuine fears about the longevity of the club, where they will play, who will play for them and ultimately whether there will be a CCFC in the foreseeable future.

I, and many others, kindly request that you start asking questions, digging deeper, and probe into the affairs of those running the club, the administrator and the Football League and their stance.

Please report what you find/hear/discover. We will not be criticizing you for their response. But we most certainly will continue to criticize you for failing to ask what you consider 'difficult questions' in case you happen to make them feel uncomfortable.

It appears that SISU have lost the majority of the fans with their actions lately and currently, their only outlet is via the CT. If you do not begin questioning details that are widely available and causing concern among other fans, your readership will mirror that of the faith and goodwill that was once shown to SISU.

I am more than happy to discuss this further with you should you wish to engage in a positive discussion about our club.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...aph-quiz-city-s-administrator-92746-33260475/

What next a letter to Points of View or the Daily Mail.

He is entitled to his opinion as you are yours. (and yes I was suprised by it but hes obviously a little peeved).....but in the end if you dont like it......dont read it.

Last edited:
J

Jack Griffin

I think part of the reason they don't ask difficult questions is because they don't want to end up in the position that the Daily Echo ended up in down Southampton. The club banned them from attending games following a story they ran about the club. Having said that, though, the quality of report available from the CET is generally below par in my opinion. It's a paper I don't waste the money on, because you can read it online anyway. I find the level of journalism sloppy, which only reflects on the quality of the people in charge of it.

And maybe they're not honest enough to say so.

I've not bought the Telegraph in years either..

I worked with both Alan and Andy and they are sports reporters and good ones at that...Les Reid is the guy that will do the digging and he has no agenda and will write the truth no matter what, some comments one here are nonsense. some on here say ask this ask that...what has the Sky Blue Trust found out? Elliott and Hoffman? Richard Keys? Bob Ainsworth? Jim Cunningham? even the administration and the football league are clueless to the in and outs of SISU and its many faces...its interesting that the OP "I am a real wizard" tells us he never even watched the whole video - But feels he can come on here berating 2 very good journalist about sloppy journalism, when he cant even be bothered to research the subject he is so infuriated about...I will say again it is not Andy or Alan job to delve into the issues that SISU have, they report on Sport...and Alan makes a good point if you think it is that easy...well fill your boots - you ring SISU and see how far you get...there people on here that don't like the CT and that's their prerogative, the paper is CCFC through and through and nothing would please them more than to have a successful football team - for one the circulation would increase. The idea that CT are SISU or even ACL puppets is nonsense but it suits the agenda for some of the more ill educated of our support that post on here. PUSB.

torchomatic

He used the word "crap". Shocking.

SkyblueBazza

Has he upset you?

WillieStanley

He used the word "crap". Shocking.

5208.jpg

BAN THIS FILTH!!!

lordsummerisle

If he upset you that much, what's the reason for signing up for an account on SBT and not the CET site :thinking about:

Think he signed up to the CET site to show his outrage, and then had to come on here to show how he'd showed his outrage on the CET site.

Outrageous.

Nonleagueherewecome

If he upset you that much, what's the reason for signing up for an account on SBT and not the CET site :thinking about:

He said he expected his reply there to get pulled, which it probably will be. I stopped posting there as everything I posted got deleted! There's a reason that they got rid of their forum, y'know...

Buster

Completely agree with original post. You don't have to sign up to the cet site to see the video

Nonleagueherewecome

I thought it was still down for maintainance? Smithers said??!!!

It'll be back in time for our Premiership return! Smithers' username proved stunningly appropriate in the end.

TheHellion

I thought it was still down for maintainance? Smithers said??!!!

Must have needed some serious maintenance to take it offline for three years!

TheHellion

Was it really three years ago??? Time flies!!

Pretty sure it was early 2010 they shut it down. Could be wrong on that, but I'm sure it was about then.

lordsummerisle

I remember the days of the CET forum. This forum was full of nice, pleasant posters who all got on. Look at it now ;)

Remember it myself, used to get loads and loads of grief for being ant-Sisu, not changed my stance or postings since but now called a Sisu rent boy!

Last edited:

I'mARealWizard

Of course he's entitled to his opinion, as am I.

There is a section below the video asking for your comments, which I gave.

Why am I so outraged?

His job is to gather information, research on going causes of concern and report findings about CCFC. To put it crudely and to use language that I'm not entirely comfortable with, he earns his salary from the income gained from the success of the newspaper. In other words, he is there to satisfy our need to know and learn about current events surrounding CCFC.

For him then to criticize the readers of the paper (online or in print) for persistently asking questions of him that would require him to fulfill his role as a reporter/journalist shows a complete display of contempt for those that 'pay his wages'.

He is not in his position by default of birth or by connections. He is supposed to be there on merit.

His actions and words on that video suggest that he has no intentions of delivering the expectations that any reasonable reader of a newspaper would expect of them.

We aren't allowed to use analogies here after some atrocious ones recently, but he is acting similar to a chef belittling his customers in a restaurant because he refuses to cook food with fresh ingredients rather than shoving a ready meal in a microwave.

So yes, I am outraged. There are many other people who would crave an opportunity to be a journalist with the readership that he currently receives and do a far better job of it.

Coasting through his years may be a lifestyle choice that he is comfortable with, but for heaven's sake have some professional integrity and fulfill the role that you are expected to take.

And to the poster who keeps questioning where I live (I don't recall which one exactly), does it matter that I live in Australia? Does this somehow prevent me from being a Sky Blues supporter?

Of course he's entitled to his opinion, as am I.

There is a section below the video asking for your comments, which I gave.

Why am I so outraged?

His job is to gather information, research on going causes of concern and report findings about CCFC. To put it crudely and to use language that I'm not entirely comfortable with, he earns his salary from the income gained from the success of the newspaper. In other words, he is there to satisfy our need to know and learn about current events surrounding CCFC.

For him then to criticize the readers of the paper (online or in print) for persistently asking questions of him that would require him to fulfill his role as a reporter/journalist shows a complete display of contempt for those that 'pay his wages'.

He is not in his position by default of birth or by connections. He is supposed to be there on merit.

His actions and words on that video suggest that he has no intentions of delivering the expectations that any reasonable reader of a newspaper would expect of them.

We aren't allowed to use analogies here after some atrocious ones recently, but he is acting similar to a chef belittling his customers in a restaurant because he refuses to cook food with fresh ingredients rather than shoving a ready meal in a microwave.

So yes, I am outraged. There are many other people who would crave an opportunity to be a journalist with the readership that he currently receives and do a far better job of it.

Coasting through his years may be a lifestyle choice that he is comfortable with, but for heaven's sake have some professional integrity and fulfill the role that you are expected to take.

And to the poster who keeps questioning where I live (I don't recall which one exactly), does it matter that I live in Australia? Does this somehow prevent me from being a Sky Blues supporter?

I think your expectations of a local sports reporter are rather high, Alan is the sports editor and Andy the sky blues correspondent - they deal with sporting issues, what has happened at CCFC is not their remit, and to be honest they probably understand as much about what has gone on as we do - no matter how many times you say it they do not cover this area...they will if they find out any information of course report it but if your expecting Alan to dress up as a Sheikh and secretly video Joy Seppala taking bribes from business men then forget it, what has happened is that Les Reid has reported every step of the way and is digging trust me I know Les and if he finds any thing he will report it, he is Sky Blue through and through I have been to many games with him home and away...so he has no hidden agenda - it is a real journalist and has won many prizes for his work - he is a constant thorn in the councils side on many issues...Les will get to the bottom of it eventually...I understand your frustration but I think it is aimed at the wrong people, the CT gets battered every day by keyboard warriors on their website and maybe just maybe Alan might of had enough of it...

Users who are viewing this thread