Advice from a supporter who has been watching CCFC for 60 years now,, (1 Viewer)

I might be wrong, but I have to disagree.

The very fact that you are registered on this site and still discussing Coventry demonstrates some level of faith. It might be a low level of faith but it is there. I'd argue that even Glen and Ian have faith in us. Otherwise supporting the club would seem a completely fruitless endevour

No, I know Ian, and trust me, he is a moaning, negative twat.

Paxman II

This is what a forum debate is all about. Difference of opinion.
We have seasoned older supporters (and I'm one of them since 1965) and we have the new young generation who have very different views.

I like the sentiment at the head of the post by VOR and the follow up from Otis both very good points expressed.

Which side does it fall? Depends on you and your opinion.

For me under the current regime going down is a golden opportunity to get our house in order. We will be in better shape in league 1 financially under new rules and as a 'big' club (please don't knock this fair City, we are a big club in league 1 for sure regardless of financial plight) and will be able to attract better players and as football is somewhat in dire trouble as a whole i doubt many of our squad will find better deals elsewhere, so expect to see one or two surprises among those staying too.

With what has happened this season and fielding all these 'youngsters' gaining tremendous experience for them I think we will be very strong in league 1. The likes of Charlton and the Sheffield clubs missing really does look like that league has weakened considerably.
You could easily say Pompey will be struggling in league 1 with all their troubles but something tells me they will be 'big' enough to make an impact in a very weak league. So why not us? Cody McDonald is the type who will score for fun at this level and has done so already helping Norwich rise again.

What I would like most is for new ownership with investment to come in and do the rebuild properly. If it is SISU then it is. At least they have been wise enough to get a grip financially in recent times and we are stable which will be so much more than most teams in league 1.

I can't see any reason why we would struggle and risk further relegation...that's just poppycock.
like I said look on it as an opportunity because IF (are the IF's again!) we stay in this league we will struggle AGAIN and I don't want that.

Yes watching Carlisle on a damp Tuesday night may sound depressing but if we are around the top of the league then it suddenly has more meaning and more interest. Crowds really may increase should we be challenging. I'm confident we will do just that.

WillieStanley

For me under the current regime going down is a golden opportunity to get our house in order. We will be in better shape in league 1 financially under new rules...

Paxman. I agree with alot of what you say, and hope you are right in a lot of other stuff you say as well, but this is the bit I struggle with. Relegation will surely only further our financial worries. There will be no let up to get our house in order.

Even if we keep hold of every member of our current playing squad, we will still need around 10 more players at least to have the depth able to compete.

DazzleTommyDazzle

This is what a forum debate is all about. Difference of opinion.
We have seasoned older supporters (and I'm one of them since 1965) and we have the new young generation who have very different views.

I like the sentiment at the head of the post by VOR and the follow up from Otis both very good points expressed.

Which side does it fall? Depends on you and your opinion.

For me under the current regime going down is a golden opportunity to get our house in order. We will be in better shape in league 1 financially under new rules and as a 'big' club (please don't knock this fair City, we are a big club in league 1 for sure regardless of financial plight) and will be able to attract better players and as football is somewhat in dire trouble as a whole i doubt many of our squad will find better deals elsewhere, so expect to see one or two surprises among those staying too.

With what has happened this season and fielding all these 'youngsters' gaining tremendous experience for them I think we will be very strong in league 1. The likes of Charlton and the Sheffield clubs missing really does look like that league has weakened considerably.
You could easily say Pompey will be struggling in league 1 with all their troubles but something tells me they will be 'big' enough to make an impact in a very weak league. So why not us? Cody McDonald is the type who will score for fun at this level and has done so already helping Norwich rise again.

What I would like most is for new ownership with investment to come in and do the rebuild properly. If it is SISU then it is. At least they have been wise enough to get a grip financially in recent times and we are stable which will be so much more than most teams in league 1.

I can't see any reason why we would struggle and risk further relegation...that's just poppycock.
like I said look on it as an opportunity because IF (are the IF's again!) we stay in this league we will struggle AGAIN and I don't want that.

Yes watching Carlisle on a damp Tuesday night may sound depressing but if we are around the top of the league then it suddenly has more meaning and more interest. Crowds really may increase should we be challenging. I'm confident we will do just that.

As you say, it's all about differences of opinion.

I'm of a similar vintage to you - started just after JH left (sadly), but I'm afraid I see things differently.

I don't think that SISU have "been wise enough to get a grip financially" - I think they had an initial business plan with RR, it failed and just over 12 months ago they began to panic. What we have seen appears to me to be unintelligent cost cutting, with no strategic vision behind it.

I completely accept that businesses have to show financial prudence, but it is equally true that businesses need to know when to invest. Relegation will cost us circa £4m in lost Championship payments. It may cost us more if crowds fall (away support is very likely to reduce - Walsall will bring fewer fans than Leicester etc), it may cost us less if we have a decent run and some enthusiasm is generated.

Since SISU's communication of their strategy has been woeful (I accept that it may be because it is difficult to communicate that that does not exist :D), we can only assume that they will continue to follow their existing "strategy". This would mean additional cuts of at least £4m (we don't know if we're at breakeven yet - the non payment of the stadium rent suggests that we are not). What sort of team/squad will this leave us with?

I agree that Cody should be good at League 1 level, but lets not overstate the case. Most of his goals came in League 2 whilst on loan with Gillingham, I think he only ever scored 4 for Norwich. If he does as well as we hope, I'm afraid that I'd expect to see him sold in the January window - hey, there's always another 17/18/19 year old we can draft in from the acadamy.....

I'd love to share your optimism, but as I posted earlier - hope has almost been extinguished.

I

valiant15

If we get relegated on Tuesday or Saturday there should be a full scale riot up the ricoh for what these parasites have reduced us to,most fans seem to have had the life sucked out of them by shittsu though. Ccfc in league 1,disgracefull.

blueflint

been a fan since 1953 tes 53. when i was six moved away in 68 still class myself a fan. cant get very often but try when up this end will do next season and the one after and so on.:blue::blue::blue:

slyblue57

Old time city supporter first game at age 5 in 1962, got my season ticket for next season and would have no matter what league we are in.
Go to some away games not all as I say I support Coventry always have always will. I ve seen some terrible performances and some great ones.
For those who say they wo nt go to see City on a wet miserable night on a tuesday v Carlisle, well I will. Strangely so will the vast majority of
people who sit around me who ve also renewed their tickets. Pusb whatever league we re in. Fot those who do nt go you can show your support by
listening to the radio commentary or read the match feeds lol

Otis

Fact is, a lot of supporters won't go on a wet cold Tuesday in December to watch Carlisle. No getting away from that.

Only hope we have is if we are top 6 and there or thereabouts all season. We drift into midtable and lower and the crowds will get smaller and smaller.

ccfcno9

whats a true supporter?.. i have been going since 1973...more or less constantly..now most of that time was top flight football.now getting relegated from the prem was bad enough..we have been really crap since then..not even a sniff of going back up.in fact..we are staring relegation again into league one..now...i really dont like the thought of that..and i really dont want to go up the ricoh to watch 3rd division football and paying through the nose for it. now thats my choice...the ricoh nxt season..if we go down..will be depressing especially if them losers sisu are still charge..so if i decided to pick n choice my games nxt season..what does that make me..not a true fan...what is a true fan. ask yourself...just how many fans will be up there nxt season..6-7000..max..not a case of which seat you want...more which row
A "true supporter" is only somebody by definition who goes to games giving vocal/financial support, it could also be someone displaced or for other reasons cannot attend games but subscribes to sky blues player and perhaps purchasing goods from the club shop etc generating funds for the developement of the club. Those that once did this but now cannot for whatever reason (apoligies for those suffering with genuine hardship) and purely listen to CWR and comment on the clubs current status on football forums can only be classed at best as "true fans" IMO.

TommyAtkins

And of course, those fans who stay away from the Ricoh are depriving the club of income.

And therefore, for them to criticise SISU for depriving the club of income, would be guilty of hypocrisy of the highest order.

Stayaway fans are worse then SISU

Football fans support their club, through good and bad times.

torchomatic

Yes, we've already renewed and as others will I'll go whatever league we are in and whoever is in charge. Through thick and thin and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread