Additional Security Checks on Saturday - Get There Early! (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I know it's been mentioned on another thread, but worth adding it here:

The club has issued the following statement as security at the Ricoh Arena will be raised on the day of the game...Coventry City Football Club urges supporters to arrive early for the weekend's game against Gillingham following the tragic events in Paris.

There will additional screening as supporters enter the Ricoh Arena with extra stewards and police on duty to ensure supporters' safety.

The club are also urging supporters, where possible, not to bring rucksacks or bags to the stadium to speed up the screening process before the match, and stay vigilant during the game with the national threat level currently at 'severe'.

Safety Officer Chris O'Neill said: "After the recent events, the club's safety team and ACL stand firm in our ambitions to make sure that the Ricoh Arena is a safe place to visit.

"We're currently taking all the necessary precautions to ensure the safety of supporters and will require the patience of supporters during additional screening on Saturday.

"With every game, we'd like fans to remain vigilant and review all safety precautions, and urge supporters to speak to any steward if they spot a problem before and during the game."

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...entry-city-gillingham-league-one-2805195.aspx

Glenn Storer

As posted on other thread:

Really? Security checks? Come on...

I'm not a budding devotee of terror by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm sure I'd be aiming for something other than the Coventry vs Gills match to strike fear into the Western infidel..

Nick

Administrator
As posted on other thread:

Really? Security checks? Come on...

I'm not a budding devotee of terror by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm sure I'd be aiming for something other than the Coventry vs Gills match to strike fear into the Western infidel..

True, would much prefer to be safer though.

I bet some people thought they would be ok going to see an unknown rock band...

James Smith

I've stickied the thread just in case people miss the news in the other thread.

Glenn Storer

Och, you leave the Eagles of Death Metal alone! (Do see your point though).

I guess the inherent point of this is that terror can strike anywhere, I just find it HIGHLY unlikely when we're on heightened security alert, they'd choose a City game...

And then the flip side is, when you think about it, if they did turn up at the Ricoh, what could the safety guys we have really ​do to stop 'em?

James Smith

Heard yesterday that the cowards in Paris all had tickets to the game but couldn't get in. I think it's a sensible precaution.

ajsccfc

It's best they do it while there's a big alert going on. If you wanted to hit an event with crowds though, you'd have to be Four Lions level of terrorist to pick a Cov game.

James Smith

And then the flip side is, when you think about it, if they did turn up at the Ricoh, what could the safety guys we have really ​do to stop 'em?
I hope and pray we never have to find out.

Nick

Administrator
Heard yesterday that the cowards in Paris all had tickets to the game but couldn't get in. I think it's a sensible precaution.
Yes, I read their plan was to do one and one wait outside for the rush off people running out to detonate

Sick Boy

i am brown so will get there at 12pm lol

Haha!! Luckily for you, you aren't in France. I once witnessed their security at an airport detain an Asian man around the time of an attempted attack.

It didn't seem to matter to them that he was a Hindu.

ajsccfc

What happened in Paris was horrific but I see the Belgium v Spain match is off tonight,while our game v France is on. So much for the we all stand together mantra then ?

Some of the people directly involved in the Paris attacks came from Belgium, who appear to have the national security equivalent of leaving a key under the mat.

bringbackrattles

Some of the people directly involved in the Paris attacks came from Belgium, who appear to have the national security equivalent of leaving a key under the mat.
Yes that may be the reason then. But with extra security going on everywhere now and almost certainly for years to come,it looks like these terrorists are getting what they want,and that is for us to be nervy and in fear ?

Paxman II

Surely we are missing the point?
tell the families at the Bacalan concert venue if it was an important target compared to say the Eiffel tower? Soft targets and multiple deaths are all that's needed. Less likely targets would be Wembley quite frankly.

bringbackrattles

Surely we are missing the point?
tell the families at the Bacalan concert venue if it was an important target compared to say the Eiffel tower? Soft targets and multiple deaths are all that's needed. Less likely targets would be Wembley quite frankly.
I was thinking that as well as the less security the better for them to cause mayhem. As long as they kill and maim "infidels" that's all that matters to them.

RegTheDonk

You have to either accept some inconvenience or hide under your bed, unfortunately. It'll probably all go quiet now anyway but, give it a few months, apathy creeps back in ... then a few more soft targets are hit.

I can't see how this cycle can be broke. :(

Astute

Not gone quiet. The Germany Netherlands game has been called off as they heard that there was going to be an attack.

Germany v Holland called off due to possible bomb near ground. Reports saying device hidden in ambulance attempting to enter ground.

chiefdave

Depends, if they had a flag without a fire safety certificate they probably wouldn't be let in.

James Smith

Germany v Holland called off due to possible bomb near ground. Reports saying device hidden in ambulance attempting to enter ground.

Five Live quoting Police Chief saying there is a "concrete security threat" and "there were plans for some kind of explosion". Worrying stuff.

bringbackrattles

On twitter a few hours ago someone tweeted that since the Paris events there have been 17 attacks on Mosques in France. So these terrorists have caused friction which I guess is there aim.

shmmeee

Fuck em. Being scared to live your life is what they want. Who is to say they won't hit Tesco or cinemas or whatever.

You're more likely to die from poor diet, air pollution or a traffic accident. Or, in fact anything else.

Even if you're caught up in one by chance, the fatality rate is less than 1 in 10.

Bunch of backwards arseholes. Don't let them get to you.

bringbackrattles

Me and my lad will be there. Can't wait
Probably best attitude to take Pete. I'll be there but my two sons are grown men now but they hardly bother going these days.My mate reminded me yesterday that in the 70's/80's we went to Millwall,West Ham,and Leeds and got back home in one piece,so if we got through that we can handle anything !

James Smith

Really worrying for the weekend, might leave my daughter at home

They just had Richard Scudamore on Newsnight saying that they were looking at security at PL games and the chairmen were meeting again before Saturday. I would hope that the FA have taken advice from the police and issued guidance to clubs.

dancers lance

I will be there with my whole family because I'm not a reactionary, drama queen.

Users who are viewing this thread