Match Thread Accrington Stanley vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 2nd Mar (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Accrington Stanley vs. Coventry City match, tactics and predictions :)

SkyBlueCRJ

They're on a pretty pitiful run at the moment. 6 losses, 4 draws and 2 wins out of the last 12 games in all comps. A total of 10 points out of 36. Only 10 goals out of those 12, although their form in front of goal has improved as of late.

I could see us winning this one 1-0

Sbarcher

Saw their game against Oxford last week. Their pitch is awful.

Liquid Gold

Exactly the sort of team we play poorly against, big, physical and well organised. A win would be a fantastic result.

Philosorapter

Coventry City at Accrington Stanley

IMG_3147.PNG IMG_3166.PNG

Coventry City (1500)
Best (1586) on 27 Oct 2018

Win (1514) +14
Draw (1500) +0
Loss (1486) -14

A few points below us in the league but with games in hand. Hoping the Luton magic will be sprinkled on to this match, where the unbeaten run will start to get on to a bit of a roll.

Gazolba

Accrington have fallen away and are finding goals hard to come by.
Only scored 7 in their last 8 games.
Will be a low scoring game, 0-0 or 1-1.

SBAndy

Accrington have fallen away and are finding goals hard to come by.
Only scored 7 in their last 8 games.
Will be a low scoring game, 0-0 or 1-1.

And yet those 7 have come in their last 3 games. Prior to that they hadn’t scored since Boxing Day.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I've got a bad feeling that we'll end up with one of those classic crap performances vs a big, physical side from the North. Fingers crossed for Bakayoko being fit and having a stormer though.

SkyBlueCRJ

The issue we have when playing a physical side such as Accrington is that the likes of Thomas, Bright and Bayliss are all effectively nullified, which in turns means all of our creativity is effectively gone. This was clear at Luton where all three were pretty poor in comparison to the rest of the Starting XI, and offered very little going forward as they didn't have the time or the space to excel.

Zanzala gave our back line a torrid time in the home fixture. I think he might be injured though thankfully. McConville and Kee are probably just as threatening though.

Last edited by a moderator:

rob9872

With Donny's result tonight it us possible that we could find ourselves 4 points outside the play offs on Saturday evening.

Now I know we have bad recruitment, an appalling keeper, dreadful manager, Shipley in midfield with a crocked Kelly, some fancy dans with no end product, loan players who don't care about us and impotent strikers, but we couldn't could we?

Nah!

rob9872

.... although it foes show that we've not needed much more to have been in the mix.

Paul Anthony

Stanley are another one of those bogey teams for us aren't they? (plenty to choose from, I know!) Their form of late hasn't been brilliant, until they played Oxford that is. They looked fragile at the back against Sunderland, but still very much a threat going forward. And as others have said they're quite a physical team which we always struggle against. If we can defend as well as we did against Luton, we can get something out of it. Not sure about taking three points, but could be another hard fought draw.

no_loyalty

I would take a point, just as long as we win the following two home games.

Philosorapter

Updated to include the recent game.

Coventry City at Accrington Stanley

IMG_3241.PNG IMG_3243.PNG

Coventry City (1500)
Best (1586) on 27 Oct 2018

Win (1514) +14
Draw (1500) +0
Loss (1486) -14

Big result tonight with Doncaster Rovers losing to Shrewsbury Town.

The gap between Coventry and 6th place drops to 89 rating points with 12 games to play. This has put us more in the mix for a play-off place.

Last edited:

Paxman II

Coming back into confident form and a good run looking likely again. Tough old game at their place but we will have too much for them on the day.
A win and we will score a couple.

steve82

Another tricky away game, and a difficult place to go. The midfield battle is key again.

Time to try the Meyler and Kelly partnership for me in this particular game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adge

People still banging on about the playoffs after last nights Doncaster result so it will be interesting to see if we mean business. Exactthe sort of game where we go high in expectations and fall flat on our faces. So I’m going 2-0 to us!

lifeskyblue

I’m going for draw or narrow win. Last weekends result will hopefully give team confidence to go on a decent run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

Another tricky away game, and a difficult place to go. The midfield battle is key again.

Time to try the Meyler and Kelly partnership for me in this particular game.

Again, I see the logic but not sure it works in reality. I appreciate Accrington will be a big solid team, however Meyler has looked off the pace to me so far, even in his cameo on Sunday. His pedigree and experience are clear, and he seems a leader on the pitch, but if he isn’t sharp is it worth the connotations that come with that (poor on the ball, out of position etc)?

Plus, while Bayliss will likely be targeted and nullified for periods of the game, he is one of a few players in the league who can turn a game from nowhere.

I’d keep it as it, start off attacking (this is Accrington not Luton, so we don’t need to start as cautiously), use our creativity and pace to hopefully score. Then use Meyler to sure things up for half an hour, where he won’t need to run around or create and he can hold his position, while using his leadership skills to encourage the team.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Everything points to this being a dreary game - probably a goal either way or even 0-0. We can play some nice possession football but unless we put our shooting boots on for once I can just seen them being organised and letting us pass it around.

I'd definitely go Meyler/Kelly in midfield to counter them being able to dominate midfield, and probably Bayliss in front of them as Bright seems to just play on instinct but takes too long to make decisions.

Not sure on Baka's situation, but bringing in Shipley on the left to protect Mason wouldn't be a bad alternative against an organised side

steve82

Again, I see the logic but not sure it works in reality. I appreciate Accrington will be a big solid team, however Meyler has looked off the pace to me so far, even in his cameo on Sunday. His pedigree and experience are clear, and he seems a leader on the pitch, but if he isn’t sharp is it worth the connotations that come with that (poor on the ball, out of position etc)?

Plus, while Bayliss will likely be targeted and nullified for periods of the game, he is one of a few players in the league who can turn a game from nowhere.

I’d keep it as it, start off attacking (this is Accrington not Luton, so we don’t need to start as cautiously), use our creativity and pace to hopefully score. Then use Meyler to sure things up for half an hour, where he won’t need to run around or create and he can hold his position, while using his leadership skills to encourage the team.

I can see the your thoughts but for certain games I think it could be a excellent experienced screen to the back four and offers a better balance in games like Accrington away against a streetwise organised well drilled side who can play on there day and make things difficult.

That experience of Meyler alongside Kelly who we know can be just as effective going forward when allowed/instructed when the system or transition in play allows as opposed to Bayliss who’s disappearing in games again.

Meyler has been here a month now so should be sharper and fitter than when he arrived 4 weeks ago, so for this particular game I think it’s a good time to try it with him as the anchor/pivot not Kelly

Bayliss could still well play in a fluid 3 ahead of Kelly and Meyler should the decision be to go with him over Shipley while keeping Hiwula up front should Bakayoko not make the trip.

rob9872

It ain't broke don't fix it! Settled side and unbeaten, why on earth would you tinker with that? Good options on the bench to change it up at the correct time.

Users who are viewing this thread