A stay aways tale (1 Viewer)

joemercersaces

So, as Duncan Bannatyne might say, here's where I am. I'm 53. I first went to HR in 1969 with my Dad, whose last game before he succumbed to cancer was the goodbye to HR. Was a season ticket holder for years. I have a 14 year old lad who at first supported Arsenal. I let him but quietly ensured the CCFC influence was there by taking him to City matches. When the club was taken hostage by SISU I refused to set foot in Notthampton and we got season tickets to Cov RFC. From afar last season I had pretty much lost the love. I thought Pressley was a delusional idiot and much preferred the fare at The Butts. I couldn't see me ever returning if I'm honest. This year he badgered me to take him up to the Chesterfield game, then Blackpool, then Barnsley. I enjoyed it, enjoyed the football, enjoyed the atmosphere. It's been years since I felt that. He is now so passionately Sky Blue that I asked him if he wanted to go yesterday. On Friday I bought us both half season tickets so we're back in Block 17. Why? In part to keep up the dad/son bond of going to the city, in part to keep him Sky Blue and in part because I can see how different it is now under Tony Mowbray. Finally, finally something is happening, something to be proud of, something to be a part of. Will still go to the Butts when City are away, but TM has won me back!

chinamans view

There will be many more like you by the end of this season. onward and upwards
So, as Duncan Bannatyne might say, here's where I am. I'm 53. I first went to HR in 1969 with my Dad, whose last game before he succumbed to cancer was the goodbye to HR. Was a season ticket holder for years. I have a 14 year old lad who at first supported Arsenal. I let him but quietly ensured the CCFC influence was there by taking him to City matches. When the club was taken hostage by SISU I refused to set foot in Notthampton and we got season tickets to Cov RFC. From afar last season I had pretty much lost the love. I thought Pressley was a delusional idiot and much preferred the fare at The Butts. I couldn't see me ever returning if I'm honest. This year he badgered me to take him up to the Chesterfield game, then Blackpool, then Barnsley. I enjoyed it, enjoyed the football, enjoyed the atmosphere. It's been years since I felt that. He is now so passionately Sky Blue that I asked him if he wanted to go yesterday. On Friday I bought us both half season tickets so we're back in Block 17. Why? In part to keep up the dad/son bond of going to the city, in part to keep him Sky Blue and in part because I can see how different it is now under Tony Mowbray. Finally, finally something is happening, something to be proud of, something to be a part of. Will still go to the Butts when City are away, but TM has won me back!

letsallsingtogether

We have a Family get together on the 19 Dec,so we are trying to get them all to go to that match before the party so fingers crossed. My lad has not been for about 3 seasons

Pipehitterz

do you still believe that?

where are all the sisu out singers this year anyways? just saying

Last edited:

skybluericoh

Been very close to 'returning' and if I had not been in Dublin yesterday would have gone up. Managed to get half a pub singing 'we're top of the league and having a laugh' as the goal flashes came in on SSN, even some of the WAGs joined in. There were 3 young lads with us and chatting over breakfast this morning, they all said this is the 1st time they have had any real hope that the club will do anything other than struggle.

It's post like this that will get fans to return, not the judgemental ones. Those that have and still stay away have their own reasons. Mine was I'd stopped enjoying going to the football, and think that the owners are complete arses! Now I feel that I'm missing something, maybe it's time to come back. I still do not have any trust in the owners so will not be buying a ST yet.

shmmeee

Bloke next to me obviously hadn't been in a while. Thought Ryan Kent was Adam Armstrong, Hadn't a clue who any of the players were. Kept wondering why we were singing Three Little Birds for ages.

It's good to see.

mrtrench

I haven't been for several years now - the FA Cup game in Portsmouth being the last one. I stopped going when we signed Marlon King and haven't been since. It's no great revenue loss to the club as I only ever went to about 3 games per season as I live a long way away. I am however going to the Donny game; can't wait.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

There will be many more like you by the end of this season. onward and upwards

I was very close to giving up my ST this year in favour of a Cov RFC one only the price won me back onside with CCFC.

Enjoyed the 8 RFC games last season compared to 2(?) CCFC ones out of the 20 odd games at the Ricoh last season.

But both sides have gone in opposite directions this year!

Glad I so far have appeared to have made the righy choice, (imagine missing out on this season after all the rubbish we've endured over the last dozen or so years!)

Hobo

I think even before the end of last season we realised SISU were not going anywhere. I still detest them and want them gone. However credit where it is due. They have finally appointed the right person for the job in TM who in turn has assembled the right back room staff and brought in decent players; even if some of the key players are loans (that is the way it is at this level). We are still a car crash though.

The point is we are fans of football and Coventry City, not politics. What is happening on the pitch is exciting and entertaining. However we are still a long way from being out of the uncertainty and gloom, but let's enjoy these first few Rays of sunshine.

shmmeee

At the game, singing "We're top of the leeeaaaague!".

Doesn't mean we're happy with Northampton, just that we want to support the team and when Sisu changed how they were running the club they deserved the fan's backing.

That was the point of protest you know, to change things. It's not just a chance to stand on a hill and hold a few banners. We wanted to play in Cov. We wanted a competitive team. We wanted a better matchday experience.

You're welcome ;)

(We also wanted a secure long term future for the club, don't think we've taken our eyes off that one just yet)

Users who are viewing this thread