A Planned Relegation? (1 Viewer)

SBS

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced SISU wanted us to go down last year.

- Use L1 attendances, stadiums and income as an attempt to reduce the rent, which certainly seems to be happening at the moment. It also means less income for the ACL, which appears to be advantageous to SISU.

- Sign players on cheaper contracts, get rid of the higher earners. We signed one player on a permanent deal the summer before last, compared to the eight or nine this year. The likes of Clingan can be replaced by three of four players at this level.

- A lot less national press attention on a L1 club than a Championship club. If they had to shut us down / move us, there 's a lot less coverage.

- If we were successful in this league (which on paper, is more likely to happen than in the Championship) attendances would rise again. I reckon if we were top 6 at the moment, we'd be getting at least 17k for a home game. I think there are people who will pay to see a winning team, no matter what league it's in. If we were also to get promoted, we'd be back to where we were on a fraction of the running costs.

- I've seen on here that they rejected offers from local businesses to pay wages for loan players last year. Surely, if you're desperate to avoid L1, you take any offers like that you can?

I'm just joining dots here, but no matter what you think of SISU's methods in running our football club, it must be remembered they're no strangers to running failing businesses. I think they've ran out of patience with the poor championship performances and taken a gamble. Not in spending loads to go up, but dramatically cutting costs (which is what hedge funds do) so we go down. Rebuild the business at this level and hope we go back up. Does anyone else think this or has supporting Coventry taken it's toll on my mental state?

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Sell your top striker in January when there was a chance of staying up.

Get 750k for him. Lose 5 million.

I have always been convinced they decided to go down

SBS

I didn't include Thorn because the whole thing with him seemed strange. We played some decent football when he was caretaker and we had players of reasonable quality - King, Westwood etc. Last season you could see that he was out of his depth, but there are plenty of experienced managers who would have struggled with what he was given. Then again, he must have cost next nothing in terms of wages and getting Robins would've cost less this season that last. But then again, why on earth give him three games and take ages to appoint Robins? That's something that alludes me.

Selling Juke was a poor decision, although I'm not sure we had enough to stay up if we'd kept him. Seemed to be the football equivalent of waving the white flag though.

SBS

i'd love to think they planned ANYTHING, but they havent got a clue !

I disagree. They wouldn't have got to where they are if they were no good at turning around failing businesses. Like it or not, football has become just as much about business as it is kicking a ball. I don't think they quite realised the mess they were getting into. Football clubs aren't a normal business, but I wouldn't say they don't have a clue because they've messed up here.

Another question I'd like to ask - was Paul Fletcher responsible for the rent deal? Was it when he was at the ACL or CCFC if he was?

dongonzalos

I didn't include Thorn because the whole thing with him seemed strange. We played some decent football when he was caretaker and we had players of reasonable quality - King, Westwood etc. Last season you could see that he was out of his depth, but there are plenty of experienced managers who would have struggled with what he was given. Then again, he must have cost next nothing in terms of wages and getting Robins would've cost less this season that last. But then again, why on earth give him three games and take ages to appoint Robins? That's something that alludes me.

Selling Juke was a poor decision, although I'm not sure we had enough to stay up if we'd kept him. Seemed to be the football equivalent of waving the white flag though.

Bloody hell you are going to upset a few on here. You sound mildly rational!

georgehudson

i think they plan to get as much of their investment back as possible, so as to appease their investors,
i would pose the question though, what were they (sisu) worth when they first got the club, and what are they worth now ?
if the answer to that is considerably less then i expect their tactics to be as aggressive as they possibly can,
as OSB has repeatedly pointed out they are a hedge fund,
& i doubt you will ever see seppala @ the ricoh wearing a sky blue scarf

ccfcway

I disagree. They wouldn't have got to where they are if they were no good at turning around failing businesses. Like it or not, football has become just as much about business as it is kicking a ball. I don't think they quite realised the mess they were getting into. Football clubs aren't a normal business, but I wouldn't say they don't have a clue because they've messed up here.

Another question I'd like to ask - was Paul Fletcher responsible for the rent deal? Was it when he was at the ACL or CCFC if he was?

So, they have got a clue, but didnt realise what they were getting involved it ?

They havent got a clue

Text a sub
Director on the bench
best set of dierctors assenble ever
"Onye" we will now listen to fans

yadda yadda

win9nut

Who are the actual owners of CCFC again? I'm sure it isn't SiSU, but a bunch of faceless people looking for a return on their investment, who have all clubbed together in SiSU's fund.

One of the golden rules of investing is hedging, ie betting against a favourable outcome in order to lower your risk. There is a risk that you lose your bet which results in a slight reduction in profits, but at the right odds it could wipe out any potential losses if that bet comes to fruition...

If I didn't have sky blue blood, and I was an investor in SiSU's fund, I would have asked at the start of last season where SiSU would estimate we would finish and bet on it if the estimate would have been that we would make a loss with a high risk of future losses (ie relegation). There would be no comeback because I am just a faceless investor...

All SiSU had to do was make it so...

Am I right in thinking we were one of the favourites to go down before the start of the season? I wonder why?

Conspiracy theory or just rambling... Ignore me if you see fit.

And yes by the way, I do believe that there are aliens living in subterfuge amongst the human population and the US government is keeping it under wraps...

PUSB

Last edited:
Conspiracy Theory?

In legal terms, are you trying to suggest that SISu are guilty of 'Conspiracy To Defraud' or similar?
That's a criminal offence - now may I suggest that if so, then SISu were defrauding CCfc, the owners of the Ricoh, the supporters and people of Coventry and the rest of those who obtain a wage from CCfc.
A conspiracy would be very difficult to prove.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

I've posted before. They're a hedge fund. They needed a hedge to cover their losses if the footballing gamble failed. Hand on The Ricoh would fit the bill....

BackRoomRummermill

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced SISU wanted us to go down last year.

- Use L1 attendances, stadiums and income as an attempt to reduce the rent, which certainly seems to be happening at the moment. It also means less income for the ACL, which appears to be advantageous to SISU.

- Sign players on cheaper contracts, get rid of the higher earners. We signed one player on a permanent deal the summer before last, compared to the eight or nine this year. The likes of Clingan can be replaced by three of four players at this level.

- A lot less national press attention on a L1 club than a Championship club. If they had to shut us down / move us, there 's a lot less coverage.

- If we were successful in this league (which on paper, is more likely to happen than in the Championship) attendances would rise again. I reckon if we were top 6 at the moment, we'd be getting at least 17k for a home game. I think there are people who will pay to see a winning team, no matter what league it's in. If we were also to get promoted, we'd be back to where we were on a fraction of the running costs.

- I've seen on here that they rejected offers from local businesses to pay wages for loan players last year. Surely, if you're desperate to avoid L1, you take any offers like that you can?

I'm just joining dots here, but no matter what you think of SISU's methods in running our football club, it must be remembered they're no strangers to running failing businesses. I think they've ran out of patience with the poor championship performances and taken a gamble. Not in spending loads to go up, but dramatically cutting costs (which is what hedge funds do) so we go down. Rebuild the business at this level and hope we go back up. Does anyone else think this or has supporting Coventry taken it's toll on my mental state?

If this was the case why did they not get unknown 3rd Parties to lay a few bets on us getting relegated at the start of last season.!!!:p

torchomatic

NASA didn't put men on the moon either, did they?

Warwickhunt

There is some applied logic here! SISU are actually not stupid when it comes to money! what basically been happening is that SISU have been doing their own "Administator" role and have shrunk the club finances to a workable position the ACL debacle is the last piece of the Jigsaw, they will probably agree to a deal that reduces the rent down to £300K and wipe off 1/2 the £1.2million debt, taking profits from the foods etc will actually balance the club to be run on a self sufficient basis:thinking about:

skyblueman

There is some applied logic here! SISU are actually not stupid when it comes to money! what basically been happening is that SISU have been doing their own "Administator" role and have shrunk the club finances to a workable position the ACL debacle is the last piece of the Jigsaw, they will probably agree to a deal that reduces the rent down to £300K and wipe off 1/2 the £1.2million debt, taking profits from the foods etc will actually balance the club to be run on a self sufficient basis:thinking about:

Er..... no - not on our player wage bill we won't be self sufficient - we have a £3Million hole in our operational finances - the rent is not our salvation

also think SISU were pretty stupid with the £50 Million odd they have so far trashed

Users who are viewing this thread