A message to disillusioned parents! (1 Viewer)

Disgruntled Sky Blue

When my lad first came into this world I wrapped him in a sky blue blanket and so the indoctrination began! Each day he was regularly force fed all things Sky Blue for 5 joyful years while going to many matches. Then one fateful day he started school down here in the land of the cockneys. At first I assumed it was just my imagination as I thought I heard him miss out one of the C's in CCFC. A week later I realised I hadn't misheard anything. After 5 years of careful investment my lad was singing 'Chelsea wherever you may be...' at the top of his vocal range. (In the interests of the various child protection agencies out there I won't divulge my reaction to hearing that!). It is suffice to say that I had lost a son that day which has heavily contributed to the sad old git I am today (along with the crap City have served up down through the decades!). BUT hope springs eternal! 12 years on after continuous depression intermittently relieved by nightmares the lad started to show signs of life this season! It started with him actually telling me about the City results followed by 'That Adam Armstrong looks a player'. Then it was 'Do you mind if I come with you to the Barnsley game?'. Now. I don't want to tempt fate any more than the hope I nurture of seeing City being promoted in my footballing lifetime; but to hear the lad go on about the season so far, the Joe Cole signing among the others, brought tears to my eyes. I have always dreamt of watching the City with my lads willingly wanting to come along rather than me dragging them kicking and screaming asking 'What have I done wrong, Dad?'. Well now it looks like I can thank Mr Mowbray and his team for giving this parent much joy on and off the field. The lad is now encouraging his younger sibling to join the fun and is coming to Gillingham!

So to all parents who live in or outside Cov who have had similar experiences, take heart and don't give up. Our kids will return to the fold... as long as City keep up the good work!

p.s. Dear Jo and Tim, don't frig this up - I won't be able to take it again!

covbhoy

When my lad first came into this world I wrapped him in a sky blue blanket and so the indoctrination began! Each day he was regularly force fed all things Sky Blue for 5 joyful years while going to many matches. Then one fateful day he started school down here in the land of the cockneys. At first I assumed it was just my imagination as I thought I heard him miss out one of the C's in CCFC. A week later I realised I hadn't misheard anything. After 5 years of careful investment my lad was singing 'Chelsea wherever you may be...' at the top of his vocal range. (In the interests of the various child protection agencies out there I won't divulge my reaction to hearing that!). It is suffice to say that I had lost a son that day which has heavily contributed to the sad old git I am today (along with the crap City have served up down through the decades!). BUT hope springs eternal! 12 years on after continuous depression intermittently relieved by nightmares the lad started to show signs of life this season! It started with him actually telling me about the City results followed by 'That Adam Armstrong looks a player'. Then it was 'Do you mind if I come with you to the Barnsley game?'. Now. I don't want to tempt fate any more than the hope I nurture of seeing City being promoted in my footballing lifetime; but to hear the lad go on about the season so far, the Joe Cole signing among the others, brought tears to my eyes. I have always dreamt of watching the City with my lads willingly wanting to come along rather than me dragging them kicking and screaming asking 'What have I done wrong, Dad?'. Well now it looks like I can thank Mr Mowbray and his team for giving this parent much joy on and off the field. The lad is now encouraging his younger sibling to join the fun and is coming to Gillingham!

So to all parents who live in or outside Cov who have had similar experiences, take heart and don't give up. Our kids will return to the fold... as long as City keep up the good work!

p.s. Dear Jo and Tim, don't frig this up - I won't be able to take it again!
quality that mate:)

Disgruntled Sky Blue

Yep, quite possibly but frankly I couldn't care less about his reasoning. The point is he wants to come along without me having to deploy the dark arts!

Samo

Was he born in Cov?

Glenn Storer

I know its always been a major thing to my Dad that I'm as mad for it as he is.

Does a good line in brainwashing and bullshit does Pops.

roo

Don't post often but have two Coventry born, Liverpool supporting, but live in the South sons.
Took them to Southend game as they were showing interest (ie we could go top), and they were seriously impressed. Madders & Ruben especially but the speed of play and fluidity...
We're now having City conversations more than Liverpool...
It's just a small step back into buying them a City top for Christmas ... Takes me back 20 years.
What a plan ...

mechaishida

I suppose it's the 'kid' in us that gets all huffy, hurt and disheartened when the club we love has, basically, been through as much shit as our own CCFC. I can apply that to some of the stay-away brigade.

Hopefully, many more will be returning to the Ricoh and whichever wind-swept away ground we're visiting, from older fans to kids. It's almost therapeutic having a resurgent team once more.

PUSB.

Covkid1968#

Both my kids were arguing over who was coming with me....I normally just take one because its a pain keeping an eye on them both and they only start bickering. But both are coming and I did smile to myself when they fought over who was opening the envelope with the tickets in when it dropped onto the mat yesterday.

My wife just looked at me and asked if I was pleased with myself now that I had brainwashed them......and of course I am!!!

My next mission is the 18 year old lad who lives in Wigan - he's coming down ths weekend but is a United fan and has no interest in City. I shall do the usual waving of his passport with birthplace "Coventry" on and hopefully I can do it with the boys top of the league Sat evening....it would really help Tony if you could sort that for me.

ccfcmad1

Great stories I've got all this to come with my little girl shes two tomorrow, when she was born I had photos of us both in the hospital with a city scarf got her the shirt just waiting now till when shes at an age where I can take her up few years of yet, you never know we mau be in the prem by then!!!!

rob9872

Shouldn't really put em through what we've all been through, child cruelty,however my 8 year old daughter been a Jsb since birthing she'll be there on Sat. Finally has something to cheer about and I'm enjoying this spell ad much for her as for me.

rd45

My son just properly got into it the season before Sixfields. When we were missing a year I was more gutted for him than I was for myself. Then last season at times I had to wonder why either of us were bothering.

All come good now though. Never in doubt.

idm1975

This year has been great and from the 1st game we attended, crewe at home both my boys were mascots for that game, both my lads cannot wait for the next game and at the mo both would go everyday if we were playing! Both are the only cov supporters in their school, as we live in suffolk, and they can hold their heads up and boast a bit too. Its just brill!

Finchy

My 20 year old daughter is a nurse in Northampton and has never really followed football...until she came to the Wigan game with me.
Now she's hooked and doesn't miss a game unless she's working. She calls me with any CCFC news, she chats CCFC with her patients and she goes as mental as I do when we score.
I've always loved her to bits..of course I have, but now we have something else we can share and i truly thank Mr Mowbray for that.
#PUSB

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

I don't know where I went wrong...one has supported Man Utd since his first breath & his hero is still Ole Gunnar Solskar. At least he is loyal & has been to Old Trafford though... The other one said in surprise "Has left us then?" When he saw Strachan had taken the Scotland job.
Despair is mine

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Nick

Administrator
I was in a book shop the other day and my daughter brought over an Aston Villa book and said she wanted it, she also cheers every time we go past their ground to Bham! Thankfully she is just playing!

bawtryneal

I hope Joy, Fisher and Mr Anderson are reading this.
As Disgruntled Sky Blue says at the top of the thread.......don't frig it up

covcity4life

Leave her. At least threaten to...she'll soon give in.
That's how I got my season ticket!

oh finchy you sly dog

the-office-new-girl-chris-finch-closeup.gif

Monners

My 20 year old daughter is a nurse in Northampton and has never really followed football...until she came to the Wigan game with me.
Now she's hooked and doesn't miss a game unless she's working. She calls me with any CCFC news, she chats CCFC with her patients and she goes as mental as I do when we score.
I've always loved her to bits..of course I have, but now we have something else we can share and i truly thank Mr Mowbray for that.
#PUSB

I have 2 appts next week at Northampton General, so will where a Cov shirt (and scarf if it is chilly) - will se if I get spotted

Speedies_Chips

I was in a book shop the other day and my daughter brought over an Aston Villa book and said she wanted it, she also cheers every time we go past their ground to Bham! Thankfully she is just playing!

That's still grounds for putting her up for adoption.

skybluebeduff

I've forced Coventry City onto my 6 and 5 year old boys, just got them home kits for Xmas, they had Coventry wallpaper 4 years ago. They've been to about 9 games in 2 years with me now, whenever they play FIFA i always set it up as Coventry vs Leicester on Beginner so they kick their arse.

I wear CCFC tops and training tops whenever I'm home so they see that their dad loves them. They even know all the words to our songs now, and that is including "your mums your dad" but instead of inbred, i've taught them loaf of bread.... for now.

You can say I've subliminally done this, and you'll be correct!

You support where you were born, that's the way it should be.

:wave:

Glenn Storer

It's been a great season this year, you can see people ACTUALLY ENJOYING being at the Ricoh now :'). Last year I was just going through the motions, didn't miss a home game but some mornings (specially with a hangover) there were "oh fuck not again moments"

But this year, I'm like a kid at Christmas when I know we're home this weekend, :))). Even managed to turn one of the lads at work who's a Baggies fan into a City fan!

skybluebeduff

It's been a great season this year, you can see people ACTUALLY ENJOYING being at the Ricoh now :'). Last year I was just going through the motions, didn't miss a home game but some mornings (specially with a hangover) there were "oh fuck not again moments"

But this year, I'm like a kid at Christmas when I know we're home this weekend, :))). Even managed to turn one of the lads at work who's a Baggies fan into a City fan!

Last season, against Preston, at half time, I considered making a noose out of my jacket and hanging myself in the toilet, I seen no hope in sight for CCFC at all. ( I lied, I wanted the noose for SP) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread