A few observations (1 Viewer)

Jimmy Hill's Chin

Last night was the first game I have watched live this season. I had a season ticket for decades but I now live in the South and frankly I'm not going to spend a hundred pounds every fortnight to watch us in our current state. That being said I went to Griffin Park with some naive optimism that we would at least get a result. I came away with the following thoughts:

Many of the players look seriously unfit and overweight. There is no excuse for this, they are professional athletes. In particular, Jennings, Ball, Cameron and Fleck look too fat to be professional footballers. All four looked knackered as the game went on.

Brentford were much faster and sharper than us.

We don't appear to have anyone (save McGoldrick) who has the ability or pace to run at players. In contrast Brentford did to good effect.

The midfield is abject. Moussa offered nothing, Jennings looks unfit and lacking in ability. Fleck looks talented but is an individual and plays in fits and starts. Hussey is Hussey. All in all it's a very weak midfield, lacking in both creativity and bite.

The marking across the defence was very poor. Brentford players frequently had acres of space in our penalty box. Cameron was dreadful. Wood is a decent player at this level but needs more support. Jordan Clarke is a waste of space and too lightweight. Cameron should be told to shape up or ship out, Clarke should just ship out - not good enough. Reckord was largely anonymous.

McGoldrick is a class apart from all of our other outfield players and his goal was the only high point of a lethargic performance. Where are the goals going to come from when he leaves? Isn't Richard Wood our second highest scorer which says it all?!

We are seriously being let down by the senior pros in this squad - and yes I mean McSheffrey, Baker, Bell and Kilbane. All of these four should be top players at this level. If they can't cut it, please get rid in January of them and free up their wages. If necessary pay them off as their lack of commitment and passion is killing the club.

We are very lucky to have Murphy. Without him last night it could have been 5 or 6 without any exaggeration. Fans who say he is to blame or should be dropped don't know what they are talking about.

In short - based on last night we have 2 good players at this level (McGoldrick and Murphy), 2 decent players (Wood and Fleck) and the rest of the team are an embarassment. Relegation to League 2 has to be a real possibility especially if we lose McGoldrick as no idea where the goals will come from and the defence is as leaky as a sieve.

None of this nonsense about us being in our rightful place now. We are a bigger club than the likes of Brentford, Shrewsbury and Carlisle and we are deluding ourselves to think otherwise. We have a better ground, more recognised players, a bigger squad, more resources, a far larger catchment area and a far superior heritage as a football club. The attitude of the current squad is a disgrace and has to change.

PUSB

Lord_Nampil

Mcgoldrick isn't as good as everyone is making out!!! Scored a decent goal but the rest of his performance again was frustrating and selfish!!! His there's only I in team mentality causes so many problems yesterday and nearly caused 2 goals for brentford, who attacked straight after he lost the ball trying to take every one on! His positioning as a striker is rubbish he roams about trying to get the ball, but once he gets it he's in the left back position or right back position with no one up top! A classic example of this was yesterday! Moussa wins the ball he looks up (there were. 2 brentford defenders a head of him) and where was Mcgoldrick??? Not in front of him in the strikers position where he should be, but left back position near enough where moussa tryed to find him but locked the ball out of play! Sorry to have a rant about him but he annoyse so much and he's everything forest fans warned he would be (I work in derby with a fair few ) ! If he scored goals and did nothing else he would be the player we need! But he doesn't he try's to do everything, in doing so is part of the big problems currently at the club!!!! Good player but not what we need!!! Rant over but needed to say it!

UNCLE MONTY

A squad full of overpaid journey men who couldn't care less about the club or the fans. They get their pay cheque, they drive home in their Range Rover to their suburban mansion and all is well in their world. Win, lose, draw...who cares? Not them.

UNCLE MONTY

Mcgoldrick isn't as good as everyone is making out!!! Scored a decent goal but the rest of his performance again was frustrating and selfish!!! His there's only I in team mentality causes so many problems yesterday and nearly caused 2 goals for brentford, who attacked straight after he lost the ball trying to take every one on! His positioning as a striker is rubbish he roams about trying to get the ball, but once he gets it he's in the left back position or right back position with no one up top! A classic example of this was yesterday! Moussa wins the ball he looks up (there were. 2 brentford defenders a head of him) and where was Mcgoldrick??? Not in front of him in the strikers position where he should be, but left back position near enough where moussa tryed to find him but locked the ball out of play! Sorry to have a rant about him but he annoyse so much and he's everything forest fans warned he would be (I work in derby with a fair few ) ! If he scored goals and did nothing else he would be the player we need! But he doesn't he try's to do everything, in doing so is part of the big problems currently at the club!!!! Good player but not what we need!!! Rant over but needed to say it!

This may not be such an issue if he was played in a front two alongside Cody. That way McGoldrick could go wandering and Cody could stay central. Playing him up top on his own is the reason we score so few goals. I heard it said that this 4-4-1-1 formation would be used to make us hard to beat. It isn't making us hard to beat, we are very simple to beat. And when McG leaves in Jan we will be left with a leaky defence and no match fit strikers accept Ball, and to be fair I'm starting to wish we had signed Cannon instead....

sw88

Chief Commentator!
McGoldrick IS as good as everyone is making out! Hes well in advance of our own squad players more importantly knows where the net is! What more do you need from a striker? His strike rate puts shame on many of our own players we've had over the years!

He also always looks forward and any sight of goal, he goes for it! With players of his quality we could get somewhere in this league but one out of 11 just wont work! Hence we are where we are!

Also, Jimmy Hills Chin, very good OP and for someobe who hasnt seen much of us this season, your analysis has got us down to a t!

Nick

Administrator
It has annoyed me over the past few seasons how scared people are to shoot from outside the box. If they got it on the 18 yard line they would still look up for a pass or play it out wide for them to cross in.

Hugh Jarse

Last night was the first game I have watched live this season. I had a season ticket for decades but I now live in the South and frankly I'm not going to spend a hundred pounds every fortnight to watch us in our current state. That being said I went to Griffin Park with some naive optimism that we would at least get a result. I came away with the following thoughts:

Many of the players look seriously unfit and overweight. There is no excuse for this, they are professional athletes. In particular, Jennings, Ball, Cameron and Fleck look too fat to be professional footballers. All four looked knackered as the game went on.

Brentford were much faster and sharper than us.

We don't appear to have anyone (save McGoldrick) who has the ability or pace to run at players. In contrast Brentford did to good effect.

The midfield is abject. Moussa offered nothing, Jennings looks unfit and lacking in ability. Fleck looks talented but is an individual and plays in fits and starts. Hussey is Hussey. All in all it's a very weak midfield, lacking in both creativity and bite.

The marking across the defence was very poor. Brentford players frequently had acres of space in our penalty box. Cameron was dreadful. Wood is a decent player at this level but needs more support. Jordan Clarke is a waste of space and too lightweight. Cameron should be told to shape up or ship out, Clarke should just ship out - not good enough. Reckord was largely anonymous.

McGoldrick is a class apart from all of our other outfield players and his goal was the only high point of a lethargic performance. Where are the goals going to come from when he leaves? Isn't Richard Wood our second highest scorer which says it all?!

We are seriously being let down by the senior pros in this squad - and yes I mean McSheffrey, Baker, Bell and Kilbane. All of these four should be top players at this level. If they can't cut it, please get rid in January of them and free up their wages. If necessary pay them off as their lack of commitment and passion is killing the club.

We are very lucky to have Murphy. Without him last night it could have been 5 or 6 without any exaggeration. Fans who say he is to blame or should be dropped don't know what they are talking about.

In short - based on last night we have 2 good players at this level (McGoldrick and Murphy), 2 decent players (Wood and Fleck) and the rest of the team are an embarassment. Relegation to League 2 has to be a real possibility especially if we lose McGoldrick as no idea where the goals will come from and the defence is as leaky as a sieve.

None of this nonsense about us being in our rightful place now. We are a bigger club than the likes of Brentford, Shrewsbury and Carlisle and we are deluding ourselves to think otherwise. We have a better ground, more recognised players, a bigger squad, more resources, a far larger catchment area and a far superior heritage as a football club. The attitude of the current squad is a disgrace and has to change.

PUSB

Could have said this in four words.

Same shit, different day!

blueflint

j h chin spot on m8 we have good players they will only be good when they try.at the mo they dont give the impression they are remotely interested help is needed

Sawyer

Ive heard a lot of goals and performances blamed on Murphy this season yet from what I watch and listen to he has been outstanding, im glad this has been pointed out! We were afraid when Fleck signed of his ability not being able to shine due to his selfishness and laziness, never wanted to come out of his shell and show it, just wanted it to come to him. Wood has been solid and no one can put down McGoldrick with the goals he has got us. Spot on post Jimmy Hill's Chin.

On the McGoldrick situation, if we dont manage to keep hold off him (which I really hope we do, 6 months left pre-contract with loan until end of season?) BUT if we dont, im sure Mark Robins is already lining up possible loanee's to take his place, and the guy knows his stuff, he really does. Jeez the guy even knew the floodlights at Brentford were poor before he arrived, he knows that shit?!!?

Let's have faith and time, Robins needs a good transfer window to ship out dead wood and bring in his vision for the club's future, not Andy Thorn's leftovers.

1nilandwe...

Mcgoldrick isn't as good as everyone is making out!!! Scored a decent goal but the rest of his performance again was frustrating and selfish!!!

Jesus, can we never be happy?! He's the best player at the club by a distance. He scores goals. You don't see many unselfish goalscorers around.

Can I also remind everyone that we are in League 1?! We can't expect people to perform like a Premiership player just because we'd like them to. Players will make mistakes and they will have faults, and that is why they are playing at this level. Lower your expectations accordingly or go and buy a Barcelona season ticket.

Nick

Administrator
McGoldrick reminds me of being at school and when you get put in a team of absolute tools who don't want to do PE and stand moaning about the cold and you have to just do it all on your own.

kevinleftpeg

McGoldrick reminds me of being at school and when you get put in a team of absolute tools who don't want to do PE and stand moaning about the cold and you have to just do it all on your own.

The rest of the squad are defo 'last pick' material. They ought to introduce British Bulldog into Training :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread