83/84 vs 15/16 (1 Viewer)

skybluelee

Has anybody else noticed the similarities between this season and 83/84? Our high point arrived on 10/Dec 83 we battered Liverpool at HR to sit 4th in the league. After that we barely won a game and stayed up on the last game of the season;

Upto and including the Liverpool game P17, W9, D4, L4, Pts31 - Avg PPG 1.82
After Liverpool P25, W4, D7, L14, Pts19 - Avg PPG 0.76

Similar has obviously occurred this season (so far) with our season peaking after the demolition of Gillingham on 21/Nov to put us top;

Upto and including the Gills game P18 W11, D4, L3, Pts 37 - Avg PPG 2.06
After Gills P17, W3, D6, L8, Pts 15 - Avg PPG 0.88

At what point, if at all, were supporters starting to call for Bobby Gould's head during that season (I was only 7 so can't remember)?

Otis

I don't think we were. Think we knew he had a complete rebuilding task on his hands and that he had plucked players hardly anyone had ever heard of.

My recollection is that they were very few calls for his head. Might be wrong though.

skybluesam66

the difference in 83/84 we had by far the lowest budget in the league - I shudder remembering Nick Platnaeur, Graham withey, Dave Bamber - and to be 4th at xmas was an absolute miracle
I remember the first day of the season away at Watford, and on the way down radio 5 read out our team and said " can you believe this is a top flight line up"
So in 83/84 by staying up we achieved a miracle -
This year is different, in that in the league we are in with the support and the budget, we should certainly be top 6

Otis

the difference in 83/84 we had by far the lowest budget in the league - I shudder remembering Nick Platnaeur, Graham withey, Dave Bamber - and to be 4th at xmas was an absolute miracle
I remember the first day of the season away at Watford, and on the way down radio 5 read out our team and said " can you believe this is a top flight line up"
This year is different, in that in the league we are in with the support and the budget, we should certainly be top 6
Comparably, this year's squad in League One to that squad back then in the Premier League, the players we have now are far, far superior.

torchomatic

I don't think I did call for his head and I can't remember anyone else doing so either. Things were different back in them days. Good memories.

Has anybody else noticed the similarities between this season and 83/84? Our high point arrived on 10/Dec 83 we battered Liverpool at HR to sit 4th in the league. After that we barely won a game and stayed up on the last game of the season;

Upto and including the Liverpool game P17, W9, D4, L4, Pts31 - Avg PPG 1.82
After Liverpool P25, W4, D7, L14, Pts19 - Avg PPG 0.76

Similar has obviously occurred this season (so far) with our season peaking after the demolition of Gillingham on 21/Nov to put us top;

Upto and including the Gills game P18 W11, D4, L3, Pts 37 - Avg PPG 2.06
After Gills P17, W3, D6, L8, Pts 15 - Avg PPG 0.88

At what point, if at all, were supporters starting to call for Bobby Gould's head during that season (I was only 7 so can't remember)?

OffenhamSkyBlue

That'd be Radio 2, then, as it was 6 years before Radio 5 was conceived ...

olderskyblue

I don't think I did call for his head and I can't remember anyone else doing so either. Things were different back in them days. Good memories.

Agree with this.

Remember with him, and other managers we had back in those days and before, most chats in the pub, or work, were about who we needed to buy, who shouldn't be in the team etc. Can't recall talking about the manager needing to be sacked. Maybe back then we knew that we didn't know better, unlike today.... ;)

Terry Gibson's perm

Some of the rubbish players on here would walk into the team now scary thought

eastwoodsdustman

I remember coming back from Villa park after we'd got beat in the mid/late 90's and some lad was going on about how bad the players were compared to the 87 team. i couldn't believe what he was saying and it took me a few days to realise that he was right. With all the crap that we get spoon fed by the media these days its too easy to forget that the top players 30/40 years back were very very good footballers and in many cases better than their modern day version.

torchomatic

today.jpg

I remember in 93/94 after he'd been sacked that we had a sit in demanding he was re-instated. In fact, I was in the picture in the paper.

I'm the chubby one, bottom right. Looks like I'm holding the sign, but I'm not.

Agree with this.

Remember with him, and other managers we had back in those days and before, most chats in the pub, or work, were about who we needed to buy, who shouldn't be in the team etc. Can't recall talking about the manager needing to be sacked. Maybe back then we knew that we didn't know better, unlike today.... ;)

Last edited:

torchomatic

Yep, that's right. Another Richardson fuck-up.

Didn't he do a spot for sky a week or two later at HR. Fans were on the pitch at the end calling for him to come back. I think Gould ended up having to run across Gosford Green to get away from it all.

torchomatic

Grendel

Yep, that's right. Another Richardson fuck-up.

Hardly. Gould was sliding fast as he did in reign one. Although no one wanted him out in the first season plenty did in the second and in the end he totally lost the plot.

He signed some real rubbish in the second stint here.

torchomatic

I think BR is your Dad.

Hardly. Gould was sliding fast as he did in reign one. Although no one wanted him out in the first season plenty did in the second and in the end he totally lost the plot.

fernandopartridge

Aye, think he signed the likes of Jenkinson, John Gayle, Julian Darby. In fairness to him though, he had to sell Gallacher and Rosario (though did get the capable Wegerle as part of the deal). At the time he went (after the 5-1 defeat at QPR) it was probably the right time. Phil Neale got the team playing quite well after that, bit dull but functional.

Grendel

I think BR is your Dad.

Bobby Gould is clearly yours. Anyone who spends money on Leigh Jenkinson, thought his own son was a goalkeeper and John Gayle was a premier league striker deserved all he had coming to him.

fernandopartridge

I remember coming back from Villa park after we'd got beat in the mid/late 90's and some lad was going on about how bad the players were compared to the 87 team. i couldn't believe what he was saying and it took me a few days to realise that he was right. With all the crap that we get spoon fed by the media these days its too easy to forget that the top players 30/40 years back were very very good footballers and in many cases better than their modern day version.

Football wasn't a professional sport until 1992. I don't even know what teams were around in those days.

W

westcountry_skyblue

I remember being in the west terrace for that Liverpool game right in line with Gibbo when he curled his third in happy days bloody freezing though !!!

Moff

I remember being in the west terrace for that Liverpool game right in line with Gibbo when he curled his third in happy days bloody freezing though !!!

I was up above you in the West Stand with my dad. Great game that, Nicky Platnauer scoring the first with one of the lowest headers you will ever see.

Moff

Hearing the names Withey and Bamber makes me shiver, particularly Withey who was awful. Add in Steve Jacobs, Ashley Grimes and Raddy Avramovic to the mix. I think that was also the season we had Tommy Langley on loan, possibly the worst player I have ever seen in the shirt.

Didnt we win the first game 3-2 at watyford with watford scoring 2 own goals?

W

westcountry_skyblue

I remember Raddy having a shocker at home v Notts county first year of the all seater if I remember correctly lost 4-1 John chidoze ripped us a new one that night for them !!!

Moff

I remember Raddy having a shocker at home v Notts county first year of the all seater if I remember correctly lost 4-1 John chidoze ripped us a new one that night for them !!!

Sadly it was 5-1 at home.

Do you also remember him being beaten by the Watford Keeper Steve Sherwood who scored with a kick from his area, and his final game for us against Stoke when he punched a cross into his own net. Gould never played him again.

Users who are viewing this thread