3D Printer (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Anybody got one? Just had to buy a riser for my Xbox to let the air get round underneath and it looks like the bloke just 3d prints them.

Found some decent downloadable patterns but no idea how they work, if the filament is expensive etc.

Could spend ages making random shit nobody ever needs.

B-Ban-Boogie

Anybody got one? Just had to buy a riser for my Xbox to let the air get round underneath and it looks like the bloke just 3d prints them.

Found some decent downloadable patterns but no idea how they work, if the filament is expensive etc.

Could spend ages making random shit nobody ever needs.

We have one at work and i'm seriously considering getting a cheap one for home use..
You can download files of all kinds of things to print from here : collections - Thingiverse

Nick

Administrator
I saw that one, loads of random gadgets you can make. Is your work one an industrial one?

B-Ban-Boogie

I saw that one, loads of random gadgets you can make. Is your work one an industrial one?
Not really.. we brought it about 4 years ago to see if we could utilize it for something handy but its basically being used for really small pieces on equipment like pipe holders and brackets and stuff.
Its quite old technology to be honest.
We all made phone holders for our desks though! haha

Last edited:

shmmeee

Made one with a mate years ago, other than a few raspberry pi cases never made much with it. When it’s handy it’s really handy but just never found much use. Also as it was built from scratch quality wasn’t the greatest, I imagine that’s changed these days.

rob9872

Made one with a mate years ago, other than a few raspberry pi cases never made much with it. When it’s handy it’s really handy but just never found much use. Also as it was built from scratch quality wasn’t the greatest, I imagine that’s changed these days.
Mrs Otis?

Philosorapter

I was looking at 3D printers a while back and 'Boxzy' caught my eye.

It is not only a 3D printer but also a CNC Miller and engraver also.

I think if you are trying to make a prototype or a couple of one offs then this could be the way to go.

Ideal to make mold casts if you want to do some metal casting.

Hooks straight up to your home PC.

IMG_4969.JPG
IMG_4970.PNG

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
So in lockdown I bought one, a pretty hard learning curve. Know nothing about CAD or 3D Design so having to learn that too.

Some of the designs you can download and print at home are pretty useful though!

Philosorapter

Can we be nosey on the make/model?

Last edited:

Philosorapter

The issue I was looking at was with metal casting and using the 3D printer as a mold maker.

The problem with making things is durability with the plastic/metal items from the 3D printer, they just don't handle heat very well.

I was looking for a work around.

wingy

When all this is over If any of you guys end up unemployed .
Coventry university run a scheme for the unemployed to take a short digital technology course .
I don't know how thorough or effective it is but is designed to help with gaining employment in a new Sphere .
Have been thinking of getting the grandchildren one of these printers .

Nick

Administrator
When all this is over If any of you guys end up unemployed .
Coventry university run a scheme for the unemployed to take a short digital technology course .
I don't know how thorough or effective it is but is designed to help with gaining employment in a new Sphere .
Have been thinking of getting the grandchildren one of these printers .

To be honest, if they learn CAD and making things in 3D it will help them with jobs in that industry.

Philosorapter

Yeah it is a Creality Ender 3 Pro, seemed good for the price.

Now if someone wanted a replacement part and you wanted the CAD design for the 3D printer but without all the hassle.

A 3D scanner for the CAD design would be awesome :D

Guess you're looking for software compatibility.

Philosorapter

It's a great hobby to get in to.. I've looked at it but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Nick

Administrator
Now if someone wanted a replacement part and you wanted the CAD design for the 3D printer but without all the hassle.

Yeah in theory you could just scan something, get the design and then print another one.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Could you make a 3D printer with a 3D printer? :emoji_thinking:

skyblue1991

Why don't Amazon links work on this forum?!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Yeah that’s what the rods were. There was no cover on it. Can’t find the model we made now, looking things have moved on so much.

Ah, mine has a threaded rod for one of the motors to move up and down vertically too. Then a few for the frame.

I have spent too much time printing upgrades for it so far!

wingy

Did anyone catch something on the box recently about the Chinese guy who has developed one for construction of buildings?
Amazing really ,if you don't mind ripple effect walls.

Users who are viewing this thread