24 Hours in Police Custody (3 Viewers)

chiefdave

Fucking hell, the first 10 minutes of this have been pretty full on

Reactions: AOM

Nick

Administrator
So cowardly, it makes going to the pub nowadays quite worrying to see how things could end up.

AOM

Just caught up on both episodes. Found the interviews with all of the suspects so interesting.
You could tell the guy who did the stabbing had already broken before his interview had even started.

Christ, the footage of the car though... that was hard watching

Gint11

Just watching it now. Shocking scenes. Im speechless! And they were playing pool 10 minutes beforehand!

Frightening how quick that escalated

chiefdave

Anyone watching To Catch A Copper? Some very disturbing things shown. Not going to say anymore as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched yet.

stupot07

I've recorded it. Are cases a discrete episode or do the cases go over a number of episodes?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

AOM

To Catch a Copper on Channel 4. Similar style to 24 Hours, but it's looking at corruption within the police instead and bloody hell, it was harder to watch in parts.
What some of them get away with in just one episode is absolutely horrendous. Pretty wild how honest the whole episode was tbh

chiefdave

To Catch a Copper on Channel 4. Similar style to 24 Hours, but it's looking at corruption within the police instead and bloody hell, it was harder to watch in parts.
What some of them get away with in just one episode is absolutely horrendous. Pretty wild how honest the whole episode was tbh
Only 5 minutes into this weeks episode and I'm angry. What's done it for me is public have filmed the police, its caused outrage on social media so the police have called in 'community leaders' wanting them to back the police and tell people to calm down. Predictably they've told the police there's no way they can do that with what they've just seen, which was the police body cam footage they thought was going to justify their response.

The police genuinely can't grasp why people are outraged about what they've seen, it's very worrying to be honest. Multiple senior officers watching the footage and they can't see a problem.

Reactions: AOM

shmmeee

Only 5 minutes into this weeks episode and I'm angry. What's done it for me is public have filmed the police, its caused outrage on social media so the police have called in 'community leaders' wanting them to back the police and tell people to calm down. Predictably they've told the police there's no way they can do that with what they've just seen, which was the police body cam footage they thought was going to justify their response.

The police genuinely can't grasp why people are outraged about what they've seen, it's very worrying to be honest. Multiple senior officers watching the footage and they can't see a problem.

What were the police doing?

chiefdave

nothing wrong apparently, program shouldn't be called to catch a copper should be called we can do whatever we want
first case this week was a woman on a bus on her way to pick her kid up from school. she tried to pay but the driver refused to give her change, she then tried to pay by card but it was refused. the driver then called the police, when they arrived she was perfectly calm and reasonable so the police decided to threaten her with arrest and getting social services involved with her kid as according to one of the officers 'that line normally gets a result'. Not surprisingly she told them to do one and it all kicked off culminating with around 10 officers pinning her to the ground while she was saying she couldn't breathe.

Next up was some chap who was arrested for walking down the road with his hands in his pockets, apparently the 3rd time it had happened to him and the 3rd time he was released without charge because he'd done nothing wrong.

Then there was a chap who was clearly confused and unwell who had wandered into someone's house thinking it was a shop. Police were very confrontational. By the time they got to the station he was repeatedly complaining about severe head and neck pains, having trouble standing etc. Asked for medical assistance which didn't happen. Then got locked in a cell where you could clearly see on CCTV he vomited and collapsed. Wasn't checked up on for a further 3 hours at which point he went into hospital with a bleed on the brain and ended up in a coma.

Every case referred for investigation, every one came back as done nothing wrong "if people aren't complaining we aren't doing our job right" was a line from one of the officers who investigated complaints.

From what I can make out from some very quick googling only around 1% of complaints actually lead to any action.

Nick

Administrator
Just watched it.

Bus driver wanted woman off the bus.

Bloke copper had an attitude saying he was going to use force to get her off a bus. I think it was mentioned about social services.

She says she's going to knock the police out and starts screaming and swearing, goes for one of them and then loads pile in and pepper spray her while she's holding onto her kid with about 8 coppers trying to get her off the bus. The kid was in the pram but she's grabbed her kid while trying to wrestle the police.

Yeah the woman was being a dick, she had no issue shouting about how she was going to knock police out in front of her kid but could have been calmed down.

The police didn't read the situation and could have calmed her down and dealt with it without any of it. Simply getting on the bus with a different tone and approaching it differently would have seen a completely different outcome.

Nick

Administrator
Police should have picked up on that lad being knocked out much sooner as the CCTV would have been everywhere. Soon as they saw there was sick they should have been in there anyway to make sure he hadn't choked.

Much more training needed to deal with things like that for the signs that are drug or alcohol and what is actually a health condition to be able to differentiate if somebody is pissed / putting it on or is actually really unwell.

The lad was confused when they picked him up although he was in a womans house which is why the police were there and arrested him. I'm not sure why his mum was confused as to why he was arrested.

Still baffled how the ones last week got away with it, especially the one who gave the drunk woman a lift home!!

AOM

I've only seen the first episode so far and that was absolutely awful.
Imagine being mentally unwell, going to a bridge to end your life and those who are supposed to help you turn up, handcuff you and then mace you point blank in the face.
And then you have the rape case with 3 years leave with full pay on top of that!

chiefdave

Not one from the show but seems you can pretty much do whatever you like as a copper and not get disciplined

A woman who caught police on CCTV watching Netflix at her home during an emergency search for her has said she was "disgusted by their behaviour".
Two officers were filmed on the sofa watching television and using dumbbells at Abbygail Lawton's Wigan home.
They were responding to a report the 21-year-old had gone missing during a mental health crisis.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said the officers did not breach standards after she filed an official complaint.
But the force's Professional Standards Branch (PSD) said the pair "should reflect on and learn from the complaint".

Nick

Administrator
That first one, madness how he was given a warning but it expired. He should have been gone years previously and should have had jail time.

Second one they didn't say too much really. Hard to prove assault but definitely not appropriate behaviour to a colleague.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

chiefdave

the worst part was it all seemed like everyone knew what he was up to. when you're at a point where women are being warned about him as soon as they start training its probably time someone did something

AOM

There's a new 24 Hours in Police Custody available, but I'm not convinced it's not a repeat... I'd not seen it before anyway.

Interesting episode anyway exploring a rich bloke claiming he has been burgled and the investigation to prove it's fraud.
Bit different from the usual murders and assaults, etc on there, and the detective who travelled to Ireland was cracking me up. Gets to Ireland and straight in the pub, and constantly had a plate of biscuits next to him

AOM

BBC show similar to 24 Hours on BBC called Forensics: The Real CSI which has been pretty interesting.
Focuses more on the science, but you still get other usual stuff like the arrests and interviews.

It's based with the West Midlands Police so there are actually some cases in Coventry. SHFWF

Users who are viewing this thread