2013 Cricket Season (1 Viewer)

Nonleagueherewecome

I feel much more like talking about cricket than football so I thought I'd start a thread for the season which started properly today.

I'm a massive Warwickshire fan and hopefully so are quite a lot of other users of this forum. But I also follow all cricket (I manage the database for a cricket computer game) so lots of chat about other Counties-or even nations-would be good.

"Business as usual" for the Bears on day one! Derbyshire are currently rocking at 117 for 6 (EDIT-7!! Clarke with a world-class slip catch): http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2013/engine/current/match/593461.html

Thank God Chanderpaul is out, he's the man who could have batted all day. Commentary is available on Radio 5 Sports Extra or you can listen to any of the Championship matches online here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/13629853

Who do people support if it isn't Warwickshire? I know someone on here is a Glamorgan fan-not starting too well: http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2013/engine/current/match/593535.html

But not as bad as Yorkshire: http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2013/engine/current/match/593464.html

I hope for the sake of his health that Boycott isn't there today :)

Brighton Sky Blue

Like yourself a big Bears fan NLHWC. I see Derbyshire's last wicket has added quite a few runs on which leaves us facing around 250 max to overtake rather than the 150 it looked like being earlier. Got to say I've been impressed with Brown since taking over from Giles-there seems to be a real winning mentality at Edgbaston with a lot of exciting players coming through so fingers crossed we can at last get something good going in the T20 (how many times have we lost in the 1/4 finals of that?) as well as longer forms.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Am looking forward to a better cricket season than last year NLHWC certainly. Got to see a couple of games at Edgbaston that were ruined by rain last year. Hopefully will see more games this season.

My lad plays in one of the local teams U16 and 3rd team and he is really up for the new season.

Fingers crossed for a lot less rain this summer :)

Nonleagueherewecome

Like yourself a big Bears fan NLHWC. I see Derbyshire's last wicket has added quite a few runs on which leaves us facing around 250 max to overtake rather than the 150 it looked like being earlier. Got to say I've been impressed with Brown since taking over from Giles-there seems to be a real winning mentality at Edgbaston with a lot of exciting players coming through so fingers crossed we can at last get something good going in the T20 (how many times have we lost in the 1/4 finals of that?) as well as longer forms.

It was frustrating as hell, but we're still in a very good position, 212 behind with all wickets intact. And he's a stubborn lower-order bat, Palladino-he actually hit a 100 as night-watchman against the touring Australian's last season! We sounded like a well-oiled machine for the first two sessions, but then the weakness in the depth of the available bowling attack was exposed. Hannon-Dalby and Milnes are the fourth/fifth choice backup options and that pace attack was heavily reliant on the (truly brilliant) Chris Wright. Rankin and Barker will be back soon-and hopefully Woakes will be available for some games at least. The worry is if Wright gets into the England squad-and he is looking like a genuine Test class bowler at the moment.

Jeetan Patel's form is a worry too-he's too good in English conditions for the Kiwi's not to be tempted to recall him for their forthcoming tour, and we don't really have a proper second spinner with Metters injured. Sorry if you're reading, Besty: prove me wrong!

Nonleagueherewecome

Rain, rain, rain...what's worse is that even though it's stupidly early to be playing cricket, it didn't actually rain that much until the season started.

Houdi

Looking forward to seeing the Bears play at the Cheltenham festival,a lovely ground.Hope to get over to Edgbaston for a couple of 20/20,if the weather improves.Unbelievable that Edgbaston doesn't host an Ashes test match,a ground we always seem to do well at,particularly after the huge ground improvements that have made as well.

deanocity3

courtaulds cricket.jpg courtaulds score card 1971.jpg courtaulds cricket Ground Lockhurst Lane 1973.jpg who remembers county cricket at Courtaulds on lockhurst lane
pencil.png

Nonleagueherewecome

I love cricket. Never understand how the county scene survives with such low crowds?

It's all funded centrally by the ECB. The money all comes from international cricket and the TV deals (which is centrally then doled out to the clubs, very different to football). I suppose the other obvious difference is player wages. There are plenty of cricketers who either don't go into the game professionally or leave for better paid careers. Can you imagine if a Premiership footballer was to quit to go and be a fireman? http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2013/content/story/624682.html

Or an up-and-coming fringe international even? http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/316114.html

Brighton Sky Blue

It was frustrating as hell, but we're still in a very good position, 212 behind with all wickets intact. And he's a stubborn lower-order bat, Palladino-he actually hit a 100 as night-watchman against the touring Australian's last season! We sounded like a well-oiled machine for the first two sessions, but then the weakness in the depth of the available bowling attack was exposed. Hannon-Dalby and Milnes are the fourth/fifth choice backup options and that pace attack was heavily reliant on the (truly brilliant) Chris Wright. Rankin and Barker will be back soon-and hopefully Woakes will be available for some games at least. The worry is if Wright gets into the England squad-and he is looking like a genuine Test class bowler at the moment.

Jeetan Patel's form is a worry too-he's too good in English conditions for the Kiwi's not to be tempted to recall him for their forthcoming tour, and we don't really have a proper second spinner with Metters injured. Sorry if you're reading, Besty: prove me wrong!

Ultimately rain ruins a game of cricket more often than not-not really the start we were after. Not as ridiculous as last season's CC game at Hove-we made nearly 600d, got Sussex all out first innings for sod all, had them just a few wickets away from an innings defeat...and rain comes to the rescue. Bladdy English weather!

kg82

This might be a good place to ask this then. Anyone know the domestic layout in India and when any of their competitions start this year (if they do!)? I'm going to be in India from 3rd September for a month-6 weeks and would quite like to catch a game or 2 if I can!

EDIT: I know about the Ranji trophy, but I heard that it's changing a bit, and I can't find when it starts.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Hmmmmm:thinking about: Watch cricket or watch paint dry? Difficult one this......
4626b_9639d1327776361-paint_zps156e6ba4.jpg

watching-cricket_zps659d3b6b.gif

Yep - Watching paint dry wins! :D

Nonleagueherewecome

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

The only blessing is that none of them have had a good game for the Lions, so hopefully they'll give up on picking them! Although Chopra did get a corker from Southee, that can happen against world class bowlers. Sounds like Wright showed a few glimpses with stunning deliveries but a lot of dross in between.

And the Bears game should hopefully be a draw. The return of the heavy roller means all the pitches are flattening out during a game, so it's draws all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread