World Athletics Championship (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

Not been watching myself but this tweet caught my eye.. look at the girls get all excited as the men get the 4x100 relay gold. Marvellous.

Gazolba

I'd recorded the entire days events. They said it was 2 hours.
Of course they decided to show the 4x100 sprint relay last.
Just as the runners were limbering up to start, my tape ended (yes I still use tapes).
Any way I saw it on YouTube. Magnificent win to beat the hot favourites USA.
The women had come second earlier to win silver in their 4x100, which was an amazing achievement in itself.

Gazolba

Did anyone see the guy from Qatar in the high-jump? He hurdled over 6'4". I've never seen anyone do that before.
He won the gold without once failing a jump. Then he went on to try and break the world record but failed.

Otis

I'd recorded the entire days events. They said it was 2 hours.
Of course they decided to show the 4x100 sprint relay last.
Just as the runners were limbering up to start, my tape ended (yes I still use tapes).
Any way I saw it on YouTube. Magnificent win to beat the hot favourites USA.
The women had come second earlier to win silver in their 4x100, which was an amazing achievement in itself.

The men's 100m relay was absolutely thrilling. Loved it.

P.S. What's a tape?

skybluegod

I must add that Mo Farah is an absolute beast and the other men that run the 5k as well. I never realised just how fast they really ran, but when you consider the fact that Royal Marines are required to run 2.4KM, in the time it takes Mo to run 5Km it shows you how fit these men really are.

Otis

I must add that Mo Farah is an absolute beast and the other men that run the 5k as well. I never realised just how fast they really ran, but when you consider the fact that Royal Marines are required to run 2.4KM, in the time it takes Mo to run 5Km it shows you how fit these men really are.

You saying we should stick Mo in the navy?

Gazolba

Don't the marines have to run it carrying a full pack?

CJ_covblaze

Was about to say I'm sure the Marines have to do it carrying the equivalent of Mo on their backs. Doesn't lessen his achievements obviously!

skybluegod

Nope, not pre-fitness tests. It's simply 2 2.4km runs one after the other with a 1 minute break in between in around 11 mins for each run (dependent on age slightly less or more)

When you pass out as a marine that's a different story! Different standards then

Nick

Administrator
When I passed the marine test just before 'nam it was 3km in 10m.
giphy.gif

Gazolba

Here's the 6'4" hurdle high-jump:

Travs

I'm a reasonable runner. Did a track session last night of 5 x 1km reps.

Knocked out the reps between 3mins35 and 3mins45 which is a fairly tough pace to maintain. If you put those together, without the rest periods you get around 18mins (Although i could not do 18mins for a straight 5km run).

Even the faster guys at the session were doing 3:05 for their reps, equalling 15:25 for 5km. Which is pretty "elite" for a non professional runner.

When you think that the world champs winning time was around 13:30, and that was considered a slow time, it defies belief...!

CJ_covblaze

Otis

So I guess you do your daily 5ks in one go then?
I don't even run for the bus.

As some comedian said a few weeks back, he was told by his doctor he needed to lose weight and get fit otherwise he would be wasting his life away. When he added it up though, he said he would then be wasting so much of his life spending all that time at the gym and he would rather be at home eating a bar of chocolate.

I have never been to a gym in my life.

I do walk a lot though.

skybluegod

I'm a reasonable runner. Did a track session last night of 5 x 1km reps.

Knocked out the reps between 3mins35 and 3mins45 which is a fairly tough pace to maintain. If you put those together, without the rest periods you get around 18mins (Although i could not do 18mins for a straight 5km run).

Even the faster guys at the session were doing 3:05 for their reps, equalling 15:25 for 5km. Which is pretty "elite" for a non professional runner.

When you think that the world champs winning time was around 13:30, and that was considered a slow time, it defies belief...!

Yeah I knock out about 3:50-4 min km when I do 5-8km runs but thats without the breaks, but I am shattered at the end.
If I was doing 1km reps would probably get about 3:30 mins.
But as you say it defies belief that, 13:30 is slow

Travs

Yeah I knock out about 3:50-4 min km when I do 5-8km runs but thats without the breaks, but I am shattered at the end.
If I was doing 1km reps would probably get about 3:30 mins.
But as you say it defies belief that, 13:30 is slow

Sounds like you're a decent enough runner...

Are you in a club?

I'm at Godiva Harriers but short distance races like that are not a speciality of mine. I consider 3 hours a short race! But Godiva is the best training in the local area, and they concentrate on track/field/cross country, so they are not really concerned with my type of racing. Although there are triathletes, ultra runners, etc.

P.s I'm not doubting your perceived times at reps, but don't underestimate the difficulty of knocking 20-30 seconds off your km time, and then repeating it constantly (apologies if you're an experienced runner and do it regularly!)

skybluegod

Sounds like you're a decent enough runner...

Are you in a club?

I'm at Godiva Harriers but short distance races like that are not a speciality of mine. I consider 3 hours a short race! But Godiva is the best training in the local area, and they concentrate on track/field/cross country, so they are not really concerned with my type of racing. Although there are triathletes, ultra runners, etc.

P.s I'm not doubting your perceived times at reps, but don't underestimate the difficulty of knocking 20-30 seconds off your km time, and then repeating it constantly (apologies if you're an experienced runner and do it regularly!)
Not in a club, undergoing fitness training for the Navy, so I am super fit at the moment.
I know I can run 1KM on 3:30 I don't know how many laps mind you

Travs

Not in a club, undergoing fitness training for the Navy, so I am super fit at the moment.
I know I can run 1KM on 3:30 I don't know how many laps mind you

Our session was 5 reps, with decreasing recovery between each rep. The recoveries between each rep were 2mins30, 2 mins, 1:30, 45secs...

If you're very fit then getting through the first 3 reps and maintaining your pace should be fairly straightforward. But the final couple of reps are incredibly difficult to recover in the shorter periods. The recovery of 45secs was a joke, by the time I'd stopped nearly collapsing, there was only 10 seconds left.

Luckily I did a form of kickboxing to a reasonable level, so my powers of recovery are high, and I actually sped up slightly each rep throughout the session, dropping a couple of runners who I'd consider to be a higher level than me, but stringing those consistent times out on a constant run are a different matter.

skybluegod

Our session was 5 reps, with decreasing recovery between each rep. The recoveries between each rep were 2mins30, 2 mins, 1:30, 45secs...

If you're very fit then getting through the first 3 reps and maintaining your pace should be fairly straightforward. But the final couple of reps are incredibly difficult to recover in the shorter periods. The recovery of 45secs was a joke, by the time I'd stopped nearly collapsing, there was only 10 seconds left.

Luckily I did a form of kickboxing to a reasonable level, so my powers of recovery are high, and I actually sped up slightly each rep throughout the session, dropping a couple of runners who I'd consider to be a higher level than me, but stringing those consistent times out on a constant run are a different matter.

I might give it a go, once I get over a little niggle that I have at the moment, seems like a good little workout tbf.
Yeah putting it all together takes a special type of athlete tbh.

Travs

We did 10 x 800m reps with 60 secs rest between each one, this week.

Up there with the hardest track sessions I've done. That is a big amount of hard work, and that distance off only 60secs is incredibly tough to maintain.

Great session. I need to get up to a Parkrun or something and see how my 5km time is progressing. But already got 3 fell races this month, not to mention a possible club fixture as well.

Users who are viewing this thread