Who's our Arry talking about here? (1 Viewer)

Otis

[h=1]World Cup 2014: Players tried to skip England duty - Redknapp[/h]
Harry Redknapp says he dealt with players at Tottenham who tried to avoid England duty.
The QPR boss, who has also managed West Ham, Portsmouth and Southampton, made the claim on BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek.

"When full internationals came around, two or three players didn't want to go and play for England," Redknapp said.

"They'd come to me 10 days before the game and say: 'Gaffer, get me out of the game. I don't want to play in it.'"

Redknapp, who managed Tottenham between 2008 and 2012, declined to name the players he was referring to.

Otis

Yep. That's the 2 that sprung to mind.

Would explain Defoe in and out of the England set up at times.

Johnnythespider

I wonder how many other premier league managers could tell a similar story.

Otis

Think it happens more with other home nations to be honest.

Just how many times has Ryan Giggs not been 'fit' for Wales. Everytime Wales have an international the players seem to drop like stones.

Paxman II

Harry simply speaks the truth. People never like the truth. But what would you do? Play a meaningless friendly we so often get involved in or claim injury?

Covstu

There is no pride in playing for your country anymore, players are more concerned about picking up their salaries and large bonuses for playing for their club. Bale is going the same way as Giggs on the international scene.

Users who are viewing this thread