Whitley Abbey 2 Coventry City 0 (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I was at this school from 1973-80 . It was bloody rough as I recall. I was thinking that we had some damned talented footballers, some a bit older than others, in different teams (under14s / 16s / 18s etc) .
I reckon if I put together all the best 11 that I remember in the right positions we could have put out a team that would have been no worse than the shambles I watched against Southend. None of them made it into football as I recall so perhaps they weren't good enough or simply decided to get a proper job.

Just wondering if anyone out there recalls football talent from their old school days that could have done no worse than what we've got now.

no_loyalty

Just wondering if anyone out there recalls football talent from their old school days that could have done no worse than what we've got now.

I played in the same school team as Marcus Hall, he would still do better than most of our lot

Gazolba

I was at this school from 1973-80 . It was bloody rough as I recall. I was thinking that we had some damned talented footballers, some a bit older than others, in different teams (under14s / 16s / 18s etc) .
I reckon if I put together all the best 11 that I remember in the right positions we could have put out a team that would have been no worse than the shambles I watched against Southend. None of them made it into football as I recall so perhaps they weren't good enough or simply decided to get a proper job.

Well at Caludon we had Bobby Gould and Trevor Gould. And me of course, I once scored six goals in a single game; their GK was hopeless though..

stevefloyd

I played in the same school team as Marcus Hall, he would still do better than most of our lot
I remember Marcus playing in the reserves and England under 21's he looked a real prospect but in the end I detested seeing him play because he looked a real liability but he would still be better than this pile of shite we have masquerading as footballers

no_loyalty

I remember Marcus playing in the reserves and England under 21's he looked a real prospect but in the end I detested seeing him play because he looked a real liability but he would still be better than this pile of shite we have masquerading as footballers

He played as a left winger at school and was quality, obviously City thought he would make a better left back

bringbackrattles

I was at Caludon Castle in the late sixties. I played for the school teams and Cov Boys and we won the lot.
Our forward line at Cov boys was made up from the forward line of Cally. That team was brilliant a mixture from Wiseman,Whitley,and Woodlands. We'd have beaten this current City team !

Speedies_Chips

I was in the same year at Nico as Andy Blair.
He and this other lad were obviously very good at footie, played for Warwickshire as well etc etc.

If anything the other lad was better than Andy.
Andy got a trial at City and got taken on, and the other lad got a trial at Leicester and was rejected. Shows how much it down to luck and the opinion of the person watching you.

bringbackrattles

I once went for a trial at Walsall, they had to choose between me and sniffer Clark, The great Clarke when on to play for Leeds and England, well me I was so upset I never went for a trial again
I was selected to go to Coventry City for trials aged 15.The week before I got yellow jaundice and was stuck at home for weeks.I was told to keep on playing and I'd be back for another trial in the future.I left Caludon not long after,started at work and didn't play again till I was in my twenties.I often look back and think could I have made it ?

Paxman II

I have a nephew who scores 3,4 or 5 goals in some tough leagues every Saturday and Sunday. He has pace, ability and an eye for goal. I often said why are you not going for trials? He simply was not interested. Now he's in his 30's but still smashing it. CCFC really missed a diamond there.

Adge

Friend of mines 2 sons used to play with Jordan Clarke in the same team. One had a trial at Torquay but got homesick and came home, the other plays for Cork City in Ireland. When they trained/played with Clarke they said he was the best player on the pitch by a mile! Must say I didn't see it during his numerous games/cock ups for us. Can't get in the Scunthorpe team now either.

CJ_covblaze

I don't seem to remember anyone in my year being that good (aside from me obviously) but it was a Rugby dominant school. A lad in the year below played a year up sometimes and now plays for Rugby Town. We got tanked by most of the teams we played. Was in net and was peppered every single game.

My Dad was a keeper too and played in the same Cov Boys side as Peter Hormantschuk and Ian Muir. Think the three of them spent time at the FA's England schoolboy set up at Amersham at the same time. Gary Johnson and Kit Carson had a lot to do with the set up down there at the time but best we don't talk about the latter of the two atm!

At training the old man remembers a Londoner coming up and pointing out the 3 of them. He only followed up Muir who signed for QPR not long after. He ended up at Tranmere and is still their record scorer with 180.

CJ_covblaze

Friend of mines 2 sons used to play with Jordan Clarke in the same team. One had a trial at Torquay but got homesick and came home, the other plays for Cork City in Ireland. When they trained/played with Clarke they said he was the best player on the pitch by a mile! Must say I didn't see it during his numerous games/cock ups for us. Can't get in the Scunthorpe team now either.

That's not Keiran Nugent is it?

CJ_covblaze

It certainly is!

He's a good player. A few years ago he played in my U21 side. Couldn't quite work out where was best to play him though. What's he doing now?

Sky Blue Kid

I played for Whitley Abbey school teams and County between 1964 and 1968. Some good players in those 4 years, and had some good games against Caludon Castle, Woodlands, and Ullathorne. Bobby Parker(Caludon Castle) (Some right old ding dongs with him) went on to become a regular first team player at Coventry. Lives up near to Astute nowadays in Carlisle.

bringbackrattles

I played for Whitley Abbey school teams and County between 1964 and 1968. Some good players in those 4 years, and had some good games against Caludon Castle, Woodlands, and Ullathorne. Bobby Parker(Caludon Castle) (Some right old ding dongs with him) went on to become a regular first team player at Coventry. Lives up near to Astute nowadays in Carlisle.
Bobby Parker often played over Wiseman fields with us other youngsters, fifteen a side some nights. He was talented but just seemed to disappear overnight, as his career was taking off.

olderskyblue

I was at Caludon Castle in the late sixties. I played for the school teams and Cov Boys and we won the lot.
Our forward line at Cov boys was made up from the forward line of Cally. That team was brilliant a mixture from Wiseman,Whitley,and Woodlands. We'd have beaten this current City team !

My mate bumped into Mick Corden recently bbr. Hadn't seen him for 45 years I guess, but recognised each other. I guess you remember Mick?

Sky Blue Kid

Bobby Parker often played over Wiseman fields with us other youngsters, fifteen a side some nights. He was talented but just seemed to disappear overnight, as his career was taking off.

That's what happens when the Club "Put notice on you" You're not allowed to play any football unless it's for the Club that is paying your wages ;)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I played in the school team at Ernesford Grange with Tony Dobson
I recall his debut. One of the best I've ever seen. He was absolutely outstanding.

bringbackrattles

My mate bumped into Mick Corden recently bbr. Hadn't seen him for 45 years I guess, but recognised each other. I guess you remember Mick?
Yes know the Cordens.Was at Cally with Mick.He was in goal once and let in a load of goals and was distraught.
A good lad as are all the Cordens.I bump into Johnny Calcott a lot who played alongside me at Cally and Cov Boys.He could play and we have said that side we had back then was a bit tasty,we hardly lost. I recall playing Wolves Boys in a competition who were good,but we turned them over. Great days !

olderskyblue

Yes know the Cordens.Was at Cally with Mick.He was in goal once and let in a load of goals and was distraught.
A good lad as are all the Cordens.I bump into Johnny Calcott a lot who played alongside me at Cally and Cov Boys.He could play and we have said that side we had back then was a bit tasty,we hardly lost. I recall playing Wolves Boys in a competition who were good,but we turned them over. Great days !

I was in the same year as you, but not good enough to make the team. Played rugby instead.

AStonesThrow

I went to wyken croft and cally with Jamie Paterson who ended up at Walsall then forest, scored a hat trick against west ham live on tv, then went out on loan and not sure where he is now. Nice lad tbf

Users who are viewing this thread