Video evidence (1 Viewer)

Otis

Would love to see it used during a game for certain things.

Good example tonight. French player elbows Ecuador player in the face, not spotted.

See no reason why he couldn't have been sent off at half time.

Anyone else concur?

cornoccfc

Only if based on the tennis challenge system where there are limited challenges for each manager, and if they are reviewed very quickly.

Otis

But as I am saying, tonight this could have been done at half time, upon reviewing the footage. doesn't have to be any challenge system, just a 4th or 5th official/vidoe referee who looks at the game and the slow mo replays and reports anything untoward.

The game didn't even need to be stopped tonight. Sakho could have been sent off during the half time break.

L

limoncello

But as I am saying, tonight this could have been done at half time, upon reviewing the footage. doesn't have to be any challenge system, just a 4th or 5th official/vidoe referee who looks at the game and the slow mo replays and reports anything untoward.

The game didn't even need to be stopped tonight. Sakho could have been sent off during the half time break.

What if it had happened in the 2nd half?

Otis

Then he gets sent off in the 2nd half.

I was just saying tonight it didn't even need to interrupt the game.

L

limoncello

But they would have interrupted the game if it had happened in the 2nd half? Why wouldn't they interrupt it in the 1st half? Not sure you've thought this through.

Otis

Totally thought it through!!

For me I don't think a challenge system would work, as I could see teams using it on occasion just to take the pace out of the game if they were on the back foot. Challenging for the sake of challenging.

I think a video ref would be better. Someone scrutinising the game for anything the ref may have missed. Relays a message to the ref and action can then be taken on the field. The main downside of course is that the retribution wouldn't be instant and would be maybe 20 seconds to a minute later, but play would continue. after all, these are things the officials have missed anyway.

This then wouldn't disrupt the game to any great degree and like tonight, we could see justice done during the game. Same last night with Suarez, though that one needed very close inspection and freeze frame of course, so may not have been spotted.

Tonight was clear cut.

SkyblueBazza

But surely the officials in this specific case should see & take appropriate action against the defender that was holding & blocking his movement? Then he wouldn't have needed sending off.
You are right of course - the argument against the use of video reviews is usually "time". However FIFA seem perfectly happy to let players take a minute to take a throw-in, roll around the floor for two minutes for a mere touch, & let a substituted player trudge off the field rather than shift his arse. Yes they add time on but I seem to remember it's something like 10secs for thro-ins, 30s for an injury, 30s for a substitution.

PUSB

Otis

Don't think you are reading what I am saying properly limoncello. :)

Was just saying that tonight it didn't even need to have interrupted the game. Just tonight. Didn't say it wouldn't interrupt the game in general, just that tonight at half time the incident was identified and that could have been relyaed to the ref.

Otis

But surely the officials in this specific case should see & take appropriate action against the defender that was holding & blocking his movement? Then he wouldn't have needed sending off.
You are right of course - the argument against the use of video reviews is usually "time". However FIFA seem perfectly happy to let players take a minute to take a throw-in, roll around the floor for two minutes for a mere touch, & let a substituted player trudge off the field rather than shift his arse. Yes they add time on but I seem to remember it's something like 10secs for thro-ins, 30s for an injury, 30s for a substitution.

PUSB

If a video referee was watching all the tussling and shirt pulling in the penalty area that would soon put a stop to it all. There would be a rash of red cards and then players would have to stop doing it. Got to the stage now where nearly everyone is doing it and it has got quite ridiculous.

Paxman II

It has got ridiculous but the simple answer is surely the refs message to each dressing room before the match is to warn against it and it will be dealt with harshly if it happens? That would stop it.

Otis

Think they should just say the first incidence spotted of shirt pulling in the box by a defender will result in an automatic penalty.

It is usually defenders on strikers rather than the other way round in the first instance.

Users who are viewing this thread